Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Dragonball Z/GT

Old August 20th, 2009, 9:32 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Dragonball Z/GT

Well, I did like the final episode of GT, as it made me want to watch Dragon Ball all over again.

That aside, has anyone here watched any of Dragon Ball Kai?

Old August 20th, 2009, 5:20 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Well, I did like the final episode of GT, as it made me want to watch Dragon Ball all over again.

That aside, has anyone here watched any of Dragon Ball Kai?
Nope, I haven't heard of it.

Old August 20th, 2009, 8:23 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 View Post
Nope, I haven't heard of it.
I'm surprised since you're a Dragon Ball fan.

Japan put out Dragon Ball Kai, which is pretty much a remake of Dragon Ball Z. It's celebrating Dragon Ball Z's 20th anniversary for the anime. It's about 18 or 19 episodes in. The opening and ending is different from its original, though. No Head Chala or - Dete koi Tobikiri Zenkai Power. I doubt they'll use the second opening/ending either (We Gotta Power/Bokutachi wa Tenshi Datta).

Anyway, this version is faster paced. If it wasn't in the manga, then it's not being shown. As a matter of fact, they're starting up the Namek saga. For the Saiya-jin Saga, the "HFIL" stuff was dropped and that lady on Snake Way was cut. Most of Gohan's adventure was cut since that was all anime original.

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:42 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I'm surprised since you're a Dragon Ball fan.

Japan put out Dragon Ball Kai, which is pretty much a remake of Dragon Ball Z. It's celebrating Dragon Ball Z's 20th anniversary for the anime. It's about 18 or 19 episodes in. The opening and ending is different from its original, though. No Head Chala or - Dete koi Tobikiri Zenkai Power. I doubt they'll use the second opening/ending either (We Gotta Power/Bokutachi wa Tenshi Datta).

Anyway, this version is faster paced. If it wasn't in the manga, then it's not being shown. As a matter of fact, they're starting up the Namek saga. For the Saiya-jin Saga, the "HFIL" stuff was dropped and that lady on Snake Way was cut. Most of Gohan's adventure was cut since that was all anime original.
I still feel like I'm new to anime/magna,I started back in 2002 I think. I miss things that come to Illinois like Con's and don't really know anywhere in Chicago to go to besides Border's. I'll look it up thanks.

Old August 21st, 2009, 12:33 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Well, it is still airing in Japan right now. One cool thing about this version, is the fact that they managed to get back all the original seiyuu (voice actors), minus Tenshinhan and Muten Roushi/Kame Sennin. Both of their original voice actors died years ago. It's amazing how the franchise is still popular over there still, then again, look at stuff like Lupin III. That's still pretty popular as well there, and it's been around since the late 60s.

Old September 15th, 2009, 1:34 pm
First Year

I know Dragonball Kai but i'm not impressed that the graphics didn't become like the intro.

Dragonball Z > Dragonball Kai always.

Old September 18th, 2009, 1:59 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I personally prefer Kai to Z because it's not being dragged down with a lot of filler. AS I mentioned before, I can tolerate original filler, but the extending of canon stuff is annoying. The only thing I do dislike about Kai is the opening and the ending. I prefer the original opening/ending to the newer one. I like the songs better than the new ones.

That aside, what is the big deal with graphics? I notice other people complaining about that. Story pacing > graphics.

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:02 am
First Year

I agree Dragonball Kai is the best when it comes to fillers not being in it and makes the story shorter to get to majin buu saga faster then ever before.

Old September 20th, 2009, 2:31 pm
First Year

Dragonball Z is awesome, and I've been doing "Harry Potter and the Legendary Super Saiyan" for some time now, as well as spriting "SSJ3 Lady Gaga". You know why? Because Dragonball Z is awesome.

By the way, let's all stop pretending that we don't watch for the fight scenes. That's what makes the series.

Old September 20th, 2009, 4:17 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouchou_Budgie View Post
By the way, let's all stop pretending that we don't watch for the fight scenes. That's what makes the series.
I'd agree with this for Dragon Ball. I was more into the fighting scenes for that since more skill was involved. As for Z, I was more into how the story would turn out.

Old September 21st, 2009, 2:39 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouchou_Budgie View Post
But I like pretending that I watch it because Trunks and Vegeta are awesome.

Well I guess that you can't really get around the fightings, it's what makes the series. The future of the world is always at stake and needs to be defended against the evil guys.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 12th, 2011, 3:55 pm
First Year

dragon ball z was excellent but after the frieza saga it started to get redundant and predictable and GT wasn't written by akira toryama
but it is really shocking there aren't any other threads for dragon ball z
like that and sailor moon basically was the big boom for anime in america as well as a few other countries.
and alot of new anime has things based off of dragon ball z its like the father of anime.

Old August 7th, 2011, 5:47 am
First Year

I like to pretend that GT never happened. Except for "I shaved my MOOSEtache, you idiot!... DAH!" XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Lz-6eSoiM Skip to 2:00

on CoS | on PM
THIS IS A SLYTHERDORE.
Old May 24th, 2012, 3:01 pm
Curse Breaker

Early Dragon Ball didn't have much actual fighting either. There was the one early confrontation between Goku and Yamcha, called on account of Bulma's appearance. However, most of the "fights" with the Red Ribbon Army weren't much. Two moves and done. When Goku was fighting androids it was

Step 1 dance around bullets

Step 2 try a punch. If that doesn't work repeat step one

Step 3 Try a kick. If that doesn't work repeat steps 1 and 2

Step 4 (almost never necessary)--try a head butt

Step 5 (necessary only in extreme cases) try jumping from an elevated height and punching.

The only serious fights with actual martial arts moves in the first two seasons of Dragon Ball are probably Goku's fight with Nam and the title match between Goku and Ro...er, "Jackie Chun." The other one might be the first fight with Tao (the one where Goku lost but the four-star saved his life).

The best fight without ki blasts (or a minimum of them) that I've seen so far was probably Goten and Trunks at the Jr. division championship at the beginning of the Buu saga.

However, once we get to the feature rounds of the tournament that featured the first confrontation with Tien, the level of fighting picked up significantly.

Okay--I know that we grow to love Gohan and he isn't possible without Chi-Chi, but frankly she just...irritates me. When we first meet her, she's led a similarly sheltered life (to Goku). She's very cute, she's very strong, and she's pure-hearted, but her panic attacks (in both senses), and her--well, rigid idea of gender roles, are rather annoying. Even when we reveal teenage Chi-Chi with her awesome moves, serious chip, and sensible clothing--her clingy flightiness, and even her reason for her grudge against Goku that spur her to compete are grating.

The Dragonball series (all three of them) rarely deal with romance and it's even rarer for them to deal with it well.

For instance, in the entire series have we ever EVER seen Goku really attracted to anyone? Yamcha and Krillin are easy to trace, and we see Gohan smitten with Videl, but Goku doesn't seem to be wired that way. Even his second consent to an engagement with Chi-Chi seems to be more about fulfilling an earlier promise than even being attracted to her, much less in love with her. They're happy (mostly) as a family and he loves his wife and son(s), wants the best for them, seeks to protect them--but there wasn't ever a spark between the Goku and Chi-Chi personally that might have led to a marriage and a family without that misunderstanding early in the series

I get the sense that if Goku were to be swept off his feet and choose for himself, it'd be by someone like Videl Cubed. Beautiful, great fighter, independent, pure of heart, fierce champion. Maybe a dash of wry good humor and an appreciation for fun. And someone who either liked to cook or who had very easy access to food.

I can't think of any female characters in his own generation who even come close to that, and 18 is just too deadpan/sarcastic to get along with him. Of the original Dragonball crew, I'd say that Krillin ended up the luckiest in his personal life, and only Gohan is in a better position. Strangeness.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; June 16th, 2012 at 4:18 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime