Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Old August 10th, 2007, 8:27 pm
Second Year

Re: Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyPuaLove View Post
I was just wondering, as I'm mathematically challenged. (boggles the mind, because my dad has a phd in math, I think I would have math genes somewhere) But what would be the least painful math class to take in college? I have to have at least one math credit, and I'm thinking statistics.
College algebra isn't supposed to be too bad for the non-mathematically inclined.

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimra_ahmed View Post
i like algebra but i hate trigometery. that formulas of sin cos tan just drive me mad.
I found trig much easier after I learned how to use Euler's formula. For example, cos(x) = e^(ix) + e^(-ix) / 2 and sin(x) = e^(ix) i e^(-ix) / 2i. It looks complicated at first but once you learn how to manipulate the formulas it becomes much easier. It really helps with working out trig formulas without have to memorize a huge list of them. Unfortunately, I wasn't taught how to use it effectively until taking a power systems class as a junior in college.

Old August 10th, 2007, 8:52 pm
Fifth Year

Calculus - specifically Calculus II - I just hit a mental roadblock with it. Calc is a great math and all: it tells you so much so quickly, but I never got the hang of making it work. And I've since forgotten most of it. Maybe some day I'll sit down and figure it out. If I'm really hard up for something to do.

Quote:
I was just wondering, as I'm mathematically challenged. (boggles the mind, because my dad has a phd in math, I think I would have math genes somewhere) But what would be the least painful math class to take in college? I have to have at least one math credit, and I'm thinking statistics.
I thought stats was fairly easy, but I also had a good teacher. It generally seems to be regarded as an 'easier' math, but it can be sticky, and some folks I've talked to had trouble with it. It's mostly playing around with data, evaluating it with formulas, etc - not as theroretical as other maths.

I would talk to an advisor about picking a math class if possible: some colleges allow alternatives like Logic in place of math, and can let you know which classes are geared towards folks just looking to fill a requirement.

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Old August 10th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Third Year

Quote:
At my college they have Advanced Mathmatical Principles. And it's like.. Word problems. They have that that most schools. Stats is only easy for some people. If your good at Algebra and Calc then it will be harder then if your better at geometry.

I've taken Calc, Stats, and Stats for Psych. And If you say you have problems with math then you should take the lowest level course. Your advisor will be able to tell you which that is!

I hope I helped

Stupid shiny Volvo drivers....
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:42 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I hate statistics. Even more so when it's probabilities and statistics. I don't even consider it math, because I like math. I think you should look through the schedule of classes and find the least advanced math course that will fulfill the requirement, like Math 101 or whatever. I think the Math 101 in my college was mostly algebra and then 102 was trig.

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Banned

I'd have to say I really dislike Trig and Precalc. Stupid polar graphs...I'm taking Calculus in Business for my freshman year in college, and I'm a bit apprehensive about it, I'm not sure what to expect.

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I don't know if they'll offer it where you're going, but where I went to school they had a 400-level math class called "History of Math" which involved learning about famous mathematicians and the discoveries they made...no math involved at all really, but it was 4.0 units of credit (actually was available for graduate credit, too) . All the non-math majors would take it as a math elective because it was easy.

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:49 pm
Banned

History of Math....I'd be bored out of my mind. I'm dreading my music history course in college, but math? I think I'd jump off a cliff first.

Old August 11th, 2007, 9:49 am
Second Year

I'm alright at maths, but algebra drives me crazy! Mainly because I couldn't care less what x, y or z equal! And the problems in our mathbooks are the most pointless questions in the world.

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:11 am
Banned

Wait until Calculus. That is the class from hell.

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:36 pm
First Year

I loathe trigonometry! Thank god I gave up maths in college. I've actually forgotten everything lol. But that's fine by me, never did like the subject.

but hufflepuffs are loyal to the end!
Old August 16th, 2007, 2:00 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66liana99 View Post
I loathe trigonometry! Thank god I gave up maths in college. I've actually forgotten everything lol. But that's fine by me, never did like the subject.
I meant to give up math in college...but then I needed to do two semesters of calc for my major...then I decided on doing a MATH elective...it was all downhill when I realized I only needed 5 extra 400-level classes to get a B.A. in math...which I now have in addition to my other degree.

Old August 16th, 2007, 2:09 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Black View Post
Wait until Calculus. That is the class from hell.
bah! i took pre-calc my jr. year of highschool... it was AWEFUL!!!! you had to make a B average to move on to Calc... which i didnt do... plus the only Calc level that they were offereing was AP (a college credit class) and i was NOT down with doing that even if i DID make it in.... those classes are a living nightmare!!!! so now im stuck taking "Math Analysis"... basically is Pre-Calc over again... but w/ a new name...

i want Geometry back... man... freshman was great... i had never taken an easier class...

Old August 16th, 2007, 2:20 am
First Year

i did:

alg 1 in 8th grade
alg 2 in 9th
pre calc and stats in 10th, failed stats because it's the devil
geometry in 11th because i was averse to math
nothing in 12th because i hated 'theory' math at that point

i hope to god i need not take many maths in college in the coming years, so far, my first semester is clear of it. whew.

Old August 16th, 2007, 2:22 am
First Year

wow you took math in a weird order... i had to take geom before alg 2...

Old September 5th, 2007, 7:12 pm
First Year

Functions are the hardest thing to get on Algabra right now. P(1)= I look at that and then read the directions again and still don't get it.

"Are you really as stupid as you look?" Harry from Deathly Hollows

Please send me an owl, I love meeting people and talking
Old September 6th, 2007, 7:10 pm
Third Year

it wasn't so much a "someone else didn't know" but more I didn't realise.
I was doing my assessment for college yesterday, answering english and maths questions. Up popped the question "25 x 36" and of course, it's not hard (to me) but I just could NOT get the answer.. I think I put 900...

So, I get home, and I'm sat there, eating grapes (I add ) when I realise.. the answer's not 900.. it's 630 *bangs head against table several times* 270 difference!!! It'll serve me right if that one question cost me getting into a higher group- it'll be good because I answer questions hours later, not immediately XD

Last edited by Claire_13; September 6th, 2007 at 7:12 pm.
Old September 7th, 2007, 7:44 am
First Year

But 25 times 36 is 900...
unless my calculator went nuts....

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:07 am
Sixth Year

Differential Equations (waves, heat, Laplace and all the lot). I hate them, my teachers at college are horrible (they're 2, and don't speak between them, so the course is a complete chaos) and the worst is that I have to study them becasue I need them for the rest of the career.

Old September 8th, 2007, 12:13 pm
First Year

I'm in 11th grade now, and surprisingly enough, I love algebra.

What I curse the most is geometry, with it's sin cos formulas, have no idea how could they found the length of 'that' side and use the right formula to solve the problem.
My favorite lesson now is about probability, binomial newton (spelling?), permutation, combination etc etc. The calculation isn't too hard, more to putting up logic. But I'm afraid my logic isn't a good logic for mathematics....

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall