Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:00 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Things I don't get in Math? All of it. However, I do manage to get decent grades in it. I got a B this year in Trigonometry but I was so lost sometimes it was unbelieveable.

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:08 pm
Second Year

Math analysis proofs make me cry...you know when it takes you 20 hours of continuous work to do six questions you've left basic math in the dust...

I was impressed, however, that we started with basic algebra rules and were able to re-derive all the basic theories of calculus I...but I'll be happy if I never hear the term "compact metric space" or "bounded continuous function" even again.

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"
Old August 2nd, 2007, 1:09 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainie_hp View Post
Math is the only thing logical in high school apart from science
Math isn't logical at all. If I have a whole pie and I don't divide it (ie, divide by zero) then I still have a whole pie, meaning: one divided by zero equals one. But math doesn't "work" correctly that way, so people made "rules" for it in an attempt to make it work (division by zero is not allowed or "undefined")--that doesn't make it logical.

[Here's another illogical example: If I have a whole pie and divide it once--cut it one time--then I now have two parts. Thus one divided by one equals two. ]

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old August 2nd, 2007, 1:26 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Math isn't logical at all. If I have a whole pie and I don't divide it (ie, divide by zero) then I still have a whole pie, meaning: one divided by zero equals one. But math doesn't "work" correctly that way, so people made "rules" for it in an attempt to make it work (division by zero is not allowed or "undefined")--that doesn't make it logical.

[Here's another illogical example: If I have a whole pie and divide it once--cut it one time--then I now have two parts. Thus one divided by one equals two. ]
that would seem illogical.

Dividing by zero means dividing by nothing, not the absence of division.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:32 pm
First Year

Hahaha. This thread makes me smile. I'm ridiculously awful at Math. Just plain MATH. I mean, there's a part of your brain that registers the artistic side of things, like English, Reading, sometimes History, blah blah blah. And then there's a side of your brain that registers Math and Science and stuff. The mathematical side of my brain happens to not exist.

I barely made a C in my Algebra 1 class last year. Now that I'm a junior, I'm taking Geometry and I'm a bit horrified as to how I'll ever manage to keep up. Have any of you guys done the tutoring thing? Cause I'm definitely considering it. I want to get at least a B in that class, and it's just not possible unless I have someone there to really explain things to me. :/

Any suggestions?

•Could we still compliment each other...like colors, and blend in harmony?•

"You're free to leave me, but just don't deceive me, and please; believe me when I say...I love you."
"Have you ever been alone in a crowded room?"

Proud Gryffindor, through and through.
Old August 4th, 2007, 6:08 am
Fourth Year

I'm happy to know that this is a very helpful forum, I was afraid no one would even look at it since it was about school. Tips are becoming very helpful guys, thanks.

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old August 5th, 2007, 6:24 am
Third Year

I love maths, I tutor kids in maths now.

Old August 5th, 2007, 8:36 am
Second Year

My math teacher for the last two years is REALLY REALLY bad at explaining things and we are apperently in the highest class in my level (the lowest), its not like I'm stupid its just I need someone to explain it by relating it to something I KNOW, but everyone else in my class also gets low marks et cetera so its not to bad! (next year, hopefully, I'll get out of that class)....I'd much rather be in a class with my friends then with Mr SUN!

like the last thing we were learning was sides of a triangle on a grid, and how you work it out, and I only just understood it, but he NEVER said it was slightly related to Algebra, never, not once!!

I'm A Slave 4 U/I won't deny it, I'm not trying to hide it///Boys, Sometimes a girl just needs on//She's the original/She's unforgettable
!!Britney Fan 4EVA!!
Old August 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
First Year

HarryFan, I had the exact same problem a few years ago. My solution: teach myself. Maths is one of very few subjects where you can get by with very little help as concepts can be described with number examples. It took me a day to understand polar coordinates whereas it took this teacher two weeks to explain to the rest of the class!

Old August 6th, 2007, 3:36 am
First Year

Oh what a happy thread...haha lol

I'm not bad at math, I got an A last year in Algebra Mostly because I had a good teacher. I just think math requires too much thinking. Like, to answer one question you have to do like 50 steps! I like it better in History where it asks stuff like: What year did this occur? Soo much easier. You only have to memorize one thing instead of 50 things for all of the steps!

I was actually really good at algebra (but I think i've forgotten it all over the summer! yikes!)

Proud member of IBP:: read beki14's A Mild Shade of Perfection
AND! Check out all of Sibbelien's fics starting with Wanted: Romeo
AND! MaruaderGrl's Alexis: From Prince to Princess and then Bloodlines, Bludgers, and Boys!
Old August 7th, 2007, 7:02 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by T__Riddle View Post
A note on Trig. - as it seems everyone is complaining about it, and really, it is lovely

Trig is not all that bad, I just find it is often crammed into a couple of lessons, and so people don't get a good grasp of it, but once you get the hang of it, its easy, trust me.

So we have the three main funtions:
sine, cosine and tangent
I get the 3 main funtions and all of that just fine I think it's pretty easy what I find a little harder in Trig is identities u know how sine squared + cosine squared = 1 and things like. But do agree with you it is lovely and I enjoyed Trig a lot.

Old August 7th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Student

I hardly get ANYTHING in Maths, so I have no idea why I'm being put forwards to take my GCSE two years early. Pythagorus and Algebra were always the ones I flew through, because I found them easy (Unless I was running up to the board in class and replacing Pythagorus with Pythagor****). I rarely pay attention though.

Old August 7th, 2007, 2:58 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAC View Post
I get the 3 main funtions and all of that just fine I think it's pretty easy what I find a little harder in Trig is identities u know how sine squared + cosine squared = 1 and things like. But do agree with you it is lovely and I enjoyed Trig a lot.
I found those hard too, but this one I memorized and using this one you can derive others, so it made it easy!

"The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose" - Heda Bejar
GLORY GLORY MAN UTD
Old August 7th, 2007, 3:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneJO View Post
I love maths, I tutor kids in maths now.
kids of what grade?

does anybody here take additional mathematics? if so, then you'll know that RELATIVE VELOCITY is the most toughest topic to understand EVER!!!...and i mean it!

dont bother trying to self-tutor yourself here-you'll only end up confusing yourself.you're definitely going to need a teacher here!

the kid in our class who was best at math used to get excellent grades in maths and in 2/3rds of the add math topics.but not even HE could figure out RELATIVE VELOCITY+velocity vectors.

there was this one question that came in our O levels finals(Add Math 2) about velocity vectors that made me go absolutely insane! nearly 95% of the kids were forced to leave that question because they didnt have a clue on how to solve it.....all of us lost 7 marks right then and there.

the Add Maths 2 final in olevels(cambridge) is 2 hours long and consists of 80 marks-GEN. KNOWLEDGE.

when i was in olevels 2nd year, the british council removed the relative velocity topic from our syllabus but still included the topic of velocity vectors....didnt help us much in the end though.

Last edited by frag12; August 7th, 2007 at 3:42 pm.
Old August 7th, 2007, 7:24 pm
First Year

Supposedly (although I find this to be disputable), I am considered "gifted" in Mathematics, but I must say, I do NOT understand Geometry at all. This probably sounds weird, considering that Geometry is basically stuff like "Characteristics of a Polygon", etc (at least that's what's been covered in my school up to this point), but it just makes no sense to me!! =/

Old August 8th, 2007, 8:34 pm
Second Year

Geometry is tough for most high school kids because it exposes them to something they've never had to do before: proofs. It's a difficult skill for many, especially since it involves a lot of cold logic and the abilitiy to think 3 steps ahead...but they usually become easier with time.

If its any consolation, undergrad math majors have the same difficulty once they get to abstract algebra and group theory, or math analysis. I nearly died the first few chapters of Abstract Algrebra...

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:48 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse View Post
I don't even remember anything I really learned in Tenth grade. I really can't stand my brother when it comes to Math, becuase he's borderline Genius with it. He gets A's in the class, and he doesn't take notes! he told me he just sleeps through Math! () And, he finishes his homework in less than ten minutes!

(Brother+Math=)
My brother is the same, but when it comes to asking - he doesn't know anymore.

Love Struck and Feedback
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugForLupin View Post
I hardly get ANYTHING in Maths, so I have no idea why I'm being put forwards to take my GCSE two years early. Pythagorus and Algebra were always the ones I flew through, because I found them easy (Unless I was running up to the board in class and replacing Pythagorus with Pythagor****). I rarely pay attention though.
Nice ... never thought of doing that when I was learning that annoying theorem . Man, you're lucky that you flew through that stuff. I was never that good at it myself.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 9th, 2007 at 11:16 pm. Reason: forgot a word :p
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:55 am
First Year

I was just wondering, as I'm mathematically challenged. (boggles the mind, because my dad has a phd in math, I think I would have math genes somewhere) But what would be the least painful math class to take in college? I have to have at least one math credit, and I'm thinking statistics.

Old August 10th, 2007, 8:22 pm
First Year

i like algebra but i hate trigometery. that formulas of sin cos tan just drive me mad.

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on may counts ... but you cannot deny he's got style...."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall