Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Old July 26th, 2007, 3:28 am
First Year

Re: Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Haha, Sparknotes.. Yeah, no one really reads Shakespeare when its assigned. My friends like, its pretty cool, I say " Get real man, I'd rather not read that."
I prefer having a choice.

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:35 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseRadish View Post
I'm taking AP Calculus the coming school year as a 10th grader so needless to say, I'm lucky to be blessed with a talent in math.

Gawd.. i hate you.. haha. im a grade above you yet your three years ahead of me in math.... darn brainy people.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:08 pm
First Year

Quadratic formula. And the Cos Sin Tan stuff..
My teacher was away for these and we were taught them by a psychology teacher :S

Old July 29th, 2007, 12:51 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstyles View Post
That sounds like my kind of English class. Seriously, English at my school just makes my brain hurt. Tell me how we ended up reading Shakespeare (again!) in American Literature (our junior level English class). I hate Shakespeare. Maybe he should've gone and stabbed himself with a sword instead of making all his characters do it. And guess what the senior level English class is. That's right, British Literature. But nooooo. We can't read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or anything like that. We're reading Macbeth and some other Shakespearean stuff.

They say it's good for our little brains. Sparknotes, ftw.
My school DID do Shakespeare..diferently though...are teacher[who is the coolest] had us watch Romeo and Juliet[and Shakespeare in Love] and read the Romeo and Juliet for kids thing[] we did have to make something for acts[we[group] got act 2 THE FAMOUS BALCONY SCENE ] we made a card game out of it..... it was really really really fun..also we had some dude come and do this shakespeare work shop where he had us act out things and stuff[my friend was Juliet ] we never actually read any of his "plays" or anything...my teacher said it just gets boring.....which I thought was great...

As for Harry Potter!!! they are morons Hp is what got me to read!! and like it I even remember in a reading class I was in when I was 12 that I was told it was to high of a level for me, then when I left that school to home school I read it...and guess what..I loved it!! and I can read 20 times better then I could!!!, that class did nothing....anyway..back on subject....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKatie16x
Gawd.. i hate you.. haha. im a grade above you yet your three years ahead of me in math.... darn brainy people.
My brothers 14[I am 17, and in 10th grade ] and he is in a higher math class then me my theory is that some people have what I call the "math brains" some have the "not-very-good-at-math-brains-unless-they-try-really-really-really-hard" where they can't grasped the consept[sp] of math[exspecaily when you have a moronic teacher never shuting up ]

Old July 29th, 2007, 4:40 am
First Year

I hate proofs, love everything else..

Old July 29th, 2007, 5:07 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megin View Post
Quadratic formula. And the Cos Sin Tan stuff..
My teacher was away for these and we were taught them by a psychology teacher :S
Well then i shall teach you since im uber bored. Quadratic formula... you know what it is i hope?

You use this when you have an equation written in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c and you want to find out what X is.

So now lets say you want to find out what X is and you are giving the equation

y = 2x^2 + 3x + 4

Now if you can see, the 2 is in place of the 'a' the 3 is in place of the 'b' and the 4 is in place of the 'c'

So in the equation wherever you see an 'a' you put in 2, wherever you see a 'b' you put in a 3 and wherever you see a 'c' you put in a 4.

The thing to remember is, that X will have two different values in the end. Hence the +-

You must figure out what is under the square root sign, and then add it to -b and then also subtract it from -b. You will get two numbers you then divide each one by 2a and you will have your values for X.

If this helped i will go on to explain Basic trig, and the principal of SohCahToa if not let me know and i will try and rephrase it

Old July 29th, 2007, 5:08 am
Third Year

Does the whole class count? I don't think I learned anything this year in math class...

Love Struck and Feedback
Old July 29th, 2007, 5:13 am
First Year

[I am 17, and in 10th grade ]

Dude, I'm 17 and I'm in grade 12!

http://www.mathwords.com/s/sohcahtoa.htm

About Sohcahtoa, what you shuld do is visualize a right angled triangle. All you do is choose what angle inside the triangle you want to find( you already have one, which is 90 degrees) and yeah, you do what it says in the link I posted.

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:51 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed View Post
My brothers 14[I am 17, and in 10th grade ] and he is in a higher math class then me my theory is that some people have what I call the "math brains" some have the "not-very-good-at-math-brains-unless-they-try-really-really-really-hard" where they can't grasped the consept[sp] of math[exspecaily when you have a moronic teacher never shuting up ]
yea well im 16 and in 11th grade. yet i had three years of the same math class. mind you me and my friends worried more about how many spitballs we could put in the teachers hair. rather then what grade we get in that class. im smart in math when i wanna be. but i just dont show it 100% of the time.

Old July 30th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:

Dude, I'm 17 and I'm in grade 12!

http://www.mathwords.com/s/sohcahtoa.htm

About Sohcahtoa, what you shuld do is visualize a right angled triangle. All you do is choose what angle inside the triangle you want to find( you already have one, which is 90 degrees) and yeah, you do what it says in the link I posted.

My school doesn't even have 12th grade yet..anyway I am glad I am not in the grade I am suppose to be in..then I would've never been able to go to my beautiful school..also my school has peeps my age or around my age that are in the wrong grade...like my friend she's in 9th when she is suppose to be in 12th like me!!!!! I didn't get held back I just didn't go for 2 years cus I "homeschooled"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKatie16x View Post
yea well im 16 and in 11th grade. yet i had three years of the same math class. mind you me and my friends worried more about how many spitballs we could put in the teachers hair. rather then what grade we get in that class. im smart in math when i wanna be. but i just dont show it 100% of the time.
sounds like me in science..though I don't do the whole "spitball" thing..it's gross and are science teacher is nice...she is pollish and has a accsent so it's really hard to understand her sometimes to.....and the only reason I passed was cus she let us use handouts and whatever we needed on the final

I actually try in math....I get things then that stupid teacher has to come in and confuse the heck out of me like square roots..I never got that..then the good teacher Mr. B explained them in like a minute and I got them completely...then Mr. K[the horrid teacher] tired to explain them to me and almost confused me....I got out of there as fst as I could and pretended to listen to him I am gunna be in the same math "level"....not sure about class..my class was two of the lower classes put together cus they were so small......it was a mix of 10th and 9th graders[I was 9th]..I am not sure what there gunna do this year though..I just hope Mr. K isn't there

EDIT:
IS THE SQUARE ROOT OF 81.......9? damn I hope it is!!

Last edited by deathplce4myhed; July 30th, 2007 at 8:20 pm.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:24 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Man, Math was one of my worst subjects in school!! I just hated it for the most part... well not all of it, but any kind of math that looked like gibberish to me (i.e: calculus for one thing - saw some of that in a test that in a State Test I had to take)...

One thing that I didn't get all the way was the stupid Pythagorian theorems ... there are 3 different kinds of them and all the teacher taught us was 2 of them -- I only found out about the 3 one after the teacher asked me if I needed any help on the problem that I was working on... he said that he forgot to tell us about it. I was like, "Gee, thanks, I think that most of the problems that we've been doing have been based on the 3rd one ..." I wanted to hit him over the top of his head with a stick, I was so frustrated and angry at him at that point (I wouldn't have literally done that though - he was a nice person, just not that good at teaching math to those who aren't at his level).

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old July 31st, 2007, 2:03 am
First Year

Gosh, I sucked at math. That was always my B class in high school. HATED IT.

Old July 31st, 2007, 2:09 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed View Post
EDIT: IS THE SQUARE ROOT OF 81.......9?
Yes.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old July 31st, 2007, 4:43 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyPuaLove View Post
Gosh, I sucked at math. That was always my B class in high school. HATED IT.
hmm B class...that isn't bad..a F is bad....which I had..[hehe it rymes ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Yes.

Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [it was a life or death thing, in other words it was about My Chemical Romance]

Old July 31st, 2007, 7:01 pm
Sixth Year

I don't even remember anything I really learned in Tenth grade. I really can't stand my brother when it comes to Math, becuase he's borderline Genius with it. He gets A's in the class, and he doesn't take notes! he told me he just sleeps through Math! () And, he finishes his homework in less than ten minutes!

(Brother+Math=)

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old July 31st, 2007, 7:04 pm
Fourth Year

I'm awful at math, so there's tons I don't get. Such as trig. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Basic trig I can do, the kind with triangles. But the trig involving circles in beyond me.

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old July 31st, 2007, 7:16 pm
Seventh Year

I, for one love math, I am 15 and I am going to start 12th grade math! Math is the only thing logical in high school apart from science of course, and I love logic even the math kind. So I like it!

"The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose" - Heda Bejar
GLORY GLORY MAN UTD
Old July 31st, 2007, 7:27 pm
Seventh Year

I'm going into my senior year and taking AP Calculus...I didn't really 'get' math until sophomore year [Algebra II] even though I've been a year ahead and in advanced math since elementary school. In Algebra II I never got lower than an 88% on tests and never lower than a 94% in the class itself. Last year for Pre-calc, it was cake: My quarter averages were: 101, 98, 99 and 97. Don't ask me how, I just love math and find it really easy. Though the AP Calc teacher is tough, so I'm slightly nervous for it! Just gotta work at it if I need to [and I haven't needed to work on it since Geometry - and that was dismal!]

He has given her so much but the thing she loves most is that he gives her a life. A life worth living. So long before now she did not know how to live. A Complete Life

His voice dropped to a whisper even though they were alone, “An accident?” He looked away then looked back shaking his head, his gray eyes fogging with coldness. “You don’t kiss someone by accident." In an Instant

You were supposed to be here. Not off with another woman, living the superb life that we were supposed to live. We were meant to be together forever Harry. Wrong Again
Old July 31st, 2007, 9:53 pm
First Year

I just don't get in math class why the teachers are always so serious. Eg in almost all the other subjects teachers are very funny and polite ...

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:07 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplc4myhed
I am 17, and in 10th grade
I'm 16 and about to start university.
I always hated logarithms. They were useless to me.

I think the reason I hate math is how intimidating the teachers can be.
Me : "I don't understand exercise 6 A."
Teacher : "OH MY GOD HOW CAN YOU NOT IT'S SO EASY !"

Yes it's easy for you, you enjoy it, studied it all through college, and have taught it for a number of years, however this is an alien concept to me so just explain it without being condescending, OK ?
OK.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall