Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Old May 4th, 2007, 3:16 am
Fourth Year

Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Are there ever questions that you ask the teacher or your parents/guardian and they just can't answer them? Well, I know how you feel, I'm suffering with a low A in math and hardly get most of the Algrabra that I'm supposed to know by Highschool, but the math now, I'm going to miss because I've just started to get used to it!

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2007, 8:28 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

hehe if you ever need any help with that kinda stuff ive coached people in math (usually just my peers) from 60's to 80's, dunno how effective id be over text though but its worth a shot ^_^

as for me... not really... its usually just my own fault because i dont pay attention and let my mind wander and then when she gives the assignment i have to reread the stuff in the textbook to remember what i was supposed to be doing

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:42 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I don't worry, Im with ya too. I don't pay attention in class, and then I don't know what to do when the time comes to do the work.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Fourth Year

I'm in Algebra II. I find I suffer with anything that requires graphing. I can understand everything and do all the math right . . . but when it comes to actually working out the graph and drawing it, I always do it wrong.

Old May 4th, 2007, 11:30 pm
First Year

I never pay attention in class, that is, if I even attend class.
I love geometry, I like trigonometry, but I hate algebra.
I usually get everything except Sequences and Series. They never mae a clear sequence as far as I'm concerned. 3n^-1 + 6 ... Oooh, yeah, that makes sense.

Old May 4th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Third Year

When I was in school, math was not my thing. I LOATHE(d) it & didn't understand a bit of it ever. And I will never take any form of math class again if I can help it. Only thing I ever liked about any math, was usually my math teachers, & whether I failed their classes or not they loved me too

Last edited by Peagreensgirl; May 6th, 2007 at 4:51 am.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:50 pm
Fourth Year

I know how it feels, I litterally had a question on a test just the other day that said,

If a square and a triangle both equal whole numbers, what would they equal?

a)triangle x square
b)triangle / square
c)triangle + square
d)square x 1
e)triangle + 10

err, I chose c,

Old May 5th, 2007, 5:15 am
Fourth Year

thats another thing that bugs me about math... stupid ridiculous questions like that... for that one i would have just made my own answer, f) *insert witty comment here* and then circle it

Old May 5th, 2007, 5:39 am
First Year

Could someone please explain how to solve improper integrals... like Integral from 2 to Infinity of the square root of x^2 - 1? And is Rolle's Theorem just a corollary of the Mean Value Theorem..? They seem exactly the same except Rolle's is for a special case; am I correct?

Calvin and Hobbes for Life
All men by nature desire to know - Aristotle -
...Philistines...
Old May 5th, 2007, 6:23 am
Sixth Year

I'm in Algebra II and I don't understand 90% of what goes on in there. I got a B for the first semester and I'm probably going to get a C for this one. Math is always my lowest grade.

I would have to say the worst thing I've ever encountered with Algebra II was logarithims (logs). I felt like I was doing Sudoku and the rules always changed.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old May 5th, 2007, 7:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I did pretty well up until Algebra II. Well, Geometry about killed me the year before...that stuff just never sunk in. I studied at least a little of it every year starting in about fifth or sixth grade and I still can't tell you the difference between an Isosceles Triangle and an Acute Triangle. My Gram thinks that if you're not interested in a subject, it's unlikely that you'll remember a whole lot of what you studied...and I just hated Geometry.

As for Algebra II...I was fine up until the end. We got into stuff I never expected to have in Algebra II (and didn't even have during the summer when I had to retake it through a "home" program) and just couldn't understand. I remember one chapter in particular... I couldn't tell you what I was (supposed to be) learning but God was it complicated. I remember it being so complicated, in fact, that I had to label everything with different coloured pencils just to ensure I'd done everything properly. To this day, I still don't know what the purpose of that was/is.

Help wise...I had none. My Mom hated school and thusly didn't get as far as I did. My Dad's strength is math but only adding, subtracting, percentages, etc. Stuff used in business. I contribute that to his being stingy though.

For those who need math help:

This is a great site. I used it quite a bit while I was still in school. Just click "math homework help" in, "A pioneer of math homework help, Math Goodies has been reviewed on television and radio!" at the top of the page.

They won't just give you the answers but they will help you through your problems.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old May 6th, 2007, 4:53 am
Third Year

I know some Calculus. You+me='s Us. Yeah, like the 2gether song, lol. That, plus basic math(adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, percentages & fractions), is the extent of my math knowledge. All other math stuff I managed to learn, I have pretty much now forgotten. Again, I LOATHE it!!!!!!!!!

Old May 6th, 2007, 5:05 am
First Year

I am terrible at math. You know what's sad? My little brother is a freshman and he is in the same math class as me. We have the same teacher too, just a different block. I'm a junior! So anytime I don't understand an assingment, I get him to help me. I almost have a low A in Challenge Algebra II. I thought I was going to die earlier this year in that class. If I do get an A I'll have a 4.0 GPA for the semester this year.

Old May 6th, 2007, 6:20 am
Fourth Year

Next year I'll be a freshman and have Algerbra 1 I think I'm sorta, kinda ready for it as if all they do the whole year is right triangles and the pathagreom thyreom sp? I also like some ways of how to do fractions, other ways that my math teacher explains now are just too confusing to me. Thats one thing about math, everyone has a different way of learning it, and if your teacher only knows how to use it their way and you don't understand it, your stuck with it no matter what cause then if someone else helps you that knows it a different way you get the rules all mixed up! That's why I hate math...

Old May 6th, 2007, 11:48 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Could someone please explain how to solve improper integrals... like Integral from 2 to Infinity of the square root of x^2 - 1? And is Rolle's Theorem just a corollary of the Mean Value Theorem..? They seem exactly the same except Rolle's is for a special case; am I correct?
Found this on Wikipedia:
Quote:
The mean value theorem is a generalization of Rolle's theorem, which assumes f(a) = f(b), so that the right-hand side above is zero.
I tried to solve your first question but I found out I'll have to review (a lot) my Integral Calculus.
I constantly wish I was better at math, it would help me a lot.

Old May 8th, 2007, 8:08 pm
Third Year

The problem I have with math is a learning disability. It takes me twice as long to get the stuff, like this semester I have such bad grades but when I look over the stuff after the test, that's when it all clicks. Like for years they tried to get me to do Multiplication tables over and over again but I still couldn't tell you what 7 times 9 is. Now you might ask yourself how I'm in college going into my third year if this is so. I'm very good at everything else and I took Math A four times before I passed and now am in a remedial college level class. Which is twice as hard as any regular math class I've ever been in!

Old May 9th, 2007, 2:14 am
Fourth Year

I've learned a lot of mathematics in my life... and forgotten most of it since! It's like anything; if you don't practice you lose the skill. Take logarithms that Spirit mentions. I vaguely recall that the logarithm of a number is the power that 10 must be raised by to equal that number, e.g. the log of 100 = 2 because 10 to the power 2 = 100, but I can't for the life of me remember what use logarithms are! In pre-calculator days they could be used for large calculations, but I vaguely recall them still being rather useful for other things...

Incidentally, a lot of people have mentioned 'Algebra I' and 'Algebra II'. For the non-Americans among us, are these High School or College courses?

Old May 9th, 2007, 7:36 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

As far as I know, those are high school courses. My only problem with math was Calculus. I took Algebra II in my freshman year, and went on to do a combined trig and pre-calc course my sophomore year. However, when I took AP Calc my junior year...ugh. Then again, that was a difficult year overall and I have a feeling that some things I went through had a profound effect on all of my studies. All of my classes suffered, but none so much as my math class. I even came to class early so my teacher could do one-on-one with me, but it just didn't help. I couldn't concentrate.
When I took Stats in college, I found it easy but boring. I only did enough work to pass.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:04 am
Third Year

The mathematics class I really enjoyed was Discrete Mathematics. It didn't feel like math at all because I wasn't dreading it.

I'm really bad at Calculus but at the same time wish I was better because it always comes up in Physics class.

For those taking up Precalculus, this is a fun website: http://www.calculus-help.com/
The animation on limits is very effective IMO, it stuck to my head.

Old May 10th, 2007, 12:58 am
Second Year

I have a knack for algebra. I've been able to do it since my last year of Primary school. Geometry is fun too. I recommend the Murderous Maths series of books. They're the secret to my success.

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.
Visit this website
godisimaginary.com/index.htm
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall