Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

College and Universities

Old May 22nd, 2007, 2:28 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: College and Universities

I truly commend those who are in university/college who can hold down a job, and still manage to keep their marks up. I know for a fact that I would have trouble with this, due to the job being a major distraction.

For me, when I'm done with working for the day, I want to unwind and relax, not study or write papers, etc. I don't think I'd handle doing both very well, based on how I am in a general sense. The same goes for school; after a day's worth of classes, I don't want to work, I want to get my homework out the way, get a little studying in, and unwind/rest from it, not go off to work, which would make me too tired to want to study after work was done.

I would love to experience university life, although, I'm sure it'd be quite scary if living on-campus. I know I'm in my mid-20s now, but, I've never been too far away from home or this area, or family, unless it was for vacation or something trivial like that. I wouldn't tell my folks this, but I'm sure I'd get incredibly homesick if I had to stay on campus.

I'm contemplating attending the University of Richmond next year, I just have to apply for financial aid and grants so that I can go, unless a good job comes along, and I'll just put all of this on hold. If I go, I can still live at home and drive to the campus as opposed to living on campus. If I managed to get accepted into Old Dominion University, then I'd live on campus (since I wouldn't have much of a choice due to how far away it is).

I wanted to study International Business (East Asia). I'm not sure as to what I want to do after completing this, or even what type of business I could manage to get into, but, I feel that it would be nice to have this type of background. I've always been semi-interested in business, and I am currently learning Japanese, so I'm sure that with the language part of it, this may help me get a better understanding of the language, the culture, etc. The thought still makes me a bit nervous, though, since it's recommended to do at least one semester or year studying abroad in whatever language you're specializing in. lol

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2007, 6:23 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLazy_89 View Post
Going to a college or a univerisity is one of the most important things teens look forward to after graduating from high school.
you can say that again.
Quote:
What college is on your mind?
I applied to five last fall, was accepted to three, and, weirdly, I'm ending up going to my safety school, UMass Amherst.
Quote:
What's your intended major? Are you scared?
major is English at the moment, but it may change to Psychology, or I may try a double major, English/Psychology. I'm not entirely sure yet.

Am I scared? Oh yeah. I've never been away from home, parents, friends, etc. I'm also going to be leaving a job I've had for a long time and a long list of activities and clubs that I love. But the scariest thing is that I'll be on my own with a bunch of people I dont know. Eeek!
Quote:
Do tragedies like Virginia Tech change your perception of college?
Well, they do make me more aware of such things, which is a good thing in a way, I suppose. So, yes, they change my perception, but they don't make me not want to go to college or anything. That's NOT one of the reasons I'm nervous about attending university.
Quote:
What do you expect to gain from going to college other than the education?
Independence, practice in managing time well and keeping motivated on my own, being able to make decisions for myself, meeting people and making connections. These are all things I look forward to.

In sum, I think that my worries about leaving home will dissapate pretty soon once I get to know my new life and make some friends. Just right now it's kind of this awkward stage where I dont really know what to expect, etc. etc. I'm going to orientation next month, though, so I think that should be a good experience.

Anyone here who is going to college soon find that they are thinking about it altogether too much? I do! You could even call it obsessing. Like, NOT thinking about it is hard to do!

Old May 24th, 2007, 6:36 pm
First Year

As a junior in high school, my intended major is business with a minor in recreation. We'll see though.

Future of American football.
Old May 24th, 2007, 8:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Did you find college as difficult as people and teachers say it is?

I did not find the course work to be difficult, but learning to manage your time between study, friends and work (if you choose to work in college) is in my opinion the most difficult part of college.

Once I found a balance of how to have fun and study, college was a blast! I sometimes miss that time in my life and look back on it with fond memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon822 View Post
I'm going to Virginia Tech in the fall as a freshman. It's always been my first choice school, and an event like the one that occured isn't going to change my mind! I'm going to be majoring in Animal and Poultry Science.

As well as an education, I look forward to the college experience. I made it into honors and I'm going to be in the marching band, so I'm looking for more than enlightenment.
You are the second student I've "met" with intentions to go to VT next year (and especially after the tragedy on campus in April!) My heart goes out to you - best of luck! I can only imagine that your college experience at VT will be much more personal, as that campus seems to have pulled together!

As a parent I would be worried sending my child away to college at VT so soon after, but you have to admire the determination of the surviving campus students.

When the tragedy happened at VT, I was reminded so much of my college days. THe college experience is so unique and really no matter the size, you feel as if it is your second family. That could have happened anywhere, and the same result of students pulling together would have taken place!

Best wishes to you!

Old May 25th, 2007, 5:41 am
Third Year

I'm gonna be attending The College of New Jersey.. It's final... I'm really exited to be away from home.

Old May 25th, 2007, 8:43 am
Hogwarts Graduate

SBU and i am a sports management major. just finished my freshmen year. I played football/soccer depednding on what country ur in. it was amazing!!!

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old May 25th, 2007, 9:39 am
Second Year

i go to whitecliffe, an art school in New Zealand..its the best

She got Bette Davis Eyes....
Old May 28th, 2007, 2:53 am
Third Year

I go to the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. The facilities are great it's right next to the City Botanical Gardens (absolutely breath-taking) and we even have our own Subway in the Uni and is located right in the heart of Brisbane city. It's a completely awesome University and I'd recommend it to everyone

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

If you spoil, the badgerpuffs will get you and then proceed to take over the world
Old May 28th, 2007, 3:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Going to a college or a university is one of the most important things teens look forward to after graduating from high school. What college is on your mind? Are you already in college? What's your intended major? Are you scared? Do tragedies like Virginia Tech change your perception of college?

and most importantly
What do you expect to gain from going to college other than the education?
I just finished my first year of college. I go to the University of Central Florida (a HUGE university in Orlando) and I absolutely LOVE it here. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking into Florida schools.

When I graduated from high school, I wasn't scared about going to college, but I'm sure that I drove my mom crazy because I was just ready to leave the house! The thing that worried me the most was my major. Originally, I picked Nursing, but I found out that it's extremely competitive. I also found out that I didn't like science as much as I thought. I changed it to Health Services Administration and it's working out great.

The tragedy at Virginia Tech didn't change my perceptions of college, but it was definitely an eye-opener because it can happen at any school. TRUE STORY: The day after the shootings happened, a reporter from a local news station visited the campus to see if he could get into the dorms without a key. The reporter got into EVERY building that he tried to enter, including the building that I lived in. Things like that just make you think.

The thing that I want to get out of my college experience is independence ... and time management! It's terrible. I also wanted to meet new and diverse people, which I did. I have changed a lot, but it's definitely an improvement!

I'm such a Facebook addict!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old May 28th, 2007, 3:59 am
First Year

I'm a first year at a top British University and I love it.

I'm studying English Literature and Drama and it is one of the best decissions I've ever made. Trust me, you will not regret University.

Old May 28th, 2007, 4:41 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
I did not find the course work to be difficult, but learning to manage your time between study, friends and work (if you choose to work in college) is in my opinion the most difficult part of college.

Once I found a balance of how to have fun and study, college was a blast! I sometimes miss that time in my life and look back on it with fond memories.

You are the second student I've "met" with intentions to go to VT next year (and especially after the tragedy on campus in April!) My heart goes out to you - best of luck! I can only imagine that your college experience at VT will be much more personal, as that campus seems to have pulled together!

As a parent I would be worried sending my child away to college at VT so soon after, but you have to admire the determination of the surviving campus students.

When the tragedy happened at VT, I was reminded so much of my college days. THe college experience is so unique and really no matter the size, you feel as if it is your second family. That could have happened anywhere, and the same result of students pulling together would have taken place!

Best wishes to you!
Thank you for the luck! But like my parents and I have discussed, the events that happened at VT could happen anywhere. If anything security will a little more tight next year. I've always wanted to go to VT. It has a really good program for my major (Animal Science) and there is a vet school there that I hope to attend for graduate school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I always wanted to go to Old Dominion University, but, I couldn't afford to go to university/college in general when I was that age, and, ironically, I still can't, unless I get a nice grant.
My English teacher teaches there. Some of the people that I know that are going there signed up for his class, lol.

Yeah, they were all yellow
Old May 28th, 2007, 5:03 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilance06 View Post
When I graduated from high school, I wasn't scared about going to college, but I'm sure that I drove my mom crazy because I was just ready to leave the house!
I'm a little scared, too, and the school I'm going to (Mt. Aloysius College) is really small. I think I'm just worried about sharing my personal space, though.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old May 28th, 2007, 8:01 am
Deslumbrante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead View Post
I'm a little scared, too, and the school I'm going to (Mt. Aloysius College) is really small. I think I'm just worried about sharing my personal space, though.
That is a tiny school! Seriously, my high school was bigger than that! I have a friend who goes to a small school though, and she really likes the closeness of the student body...

As for the roommate thing, don't worry too much! Everything'll work out ok. I've heard horror stories about awful roommates, but I also know people who got along very well with their randomly selected person. I roomed with a girl I knew only vaguely from a study abroad I did in high school, and while we had some differences, it worked out very well. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old May 28th, 2007, 9:03 am
First Year

I would just say don't room with your best friend. They WILL drive you up a wall. I was put in a room with a girl I didn't know and it was ok at first, but we were totally incompatible. So second semester I moved down the hall to my friend's room. BIG MISTAKE. I should have stayed in the old room because my friend knew ALL my business, left her stuff on my desk because she was comfortable with me and didn't expect me to say anything (I did say something and then got to hear from other friends how mad she was at me for telling her to stop)and by the end of the year we were just sick of each other. if you establish cleaning and privacy rules at the beginning of the year though, you should be alright. I was soooo scared to go to college but I ended up loving it. I was in a completely different state and a fewhundred miles from my parents so it was scary for the first week, but you make friends and get used to it. the dorm becomes your home. just go to class. it's so easy to skip, but trust me, that leads to failing grades (i should know)

Ender's Shadow
Old May 28th, 2007, 9:19 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Turpin View Post
That is a tiny school! Seriously, my high school was bigger than that! I have a friend who goes to a small school though, and she really likes the closeness of the student body...

Yeah, it is. I kind of like the idea of being in a smaller school. The teachers know your name and it's nearly impossile to get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Turpin View Post
As for the roommate thing, don't worry too much! Everything'll work out ok. I've heard horror stories about awful roommates, but I also know people who got along very well with their randomly selected person. I roomed with a girl I knew only vaguely from a study abroad I did in high school, and while we had some differences, it worked out very well. I'm sure you'll be fine!
I'm sure I will, too, I'm just used to having my own space and would rather not give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeleGroJunkie View Post
I would just say don't room with your best friend.
No worries, I don't have a best friend.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:01 am
Registered Animagus

I'll apply for Melbourne University as well as a bunch in South Australia(University of Adelaide, Uni SA) and maybe TAFE but I havent even decided if I want to go to university yet (should hurry up!)

Old May 28th, 2007, 10:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I didn't even decide what colleges I wanted to apply to until like November or so. I don't think all of my applications were in until April.

And, when it came down to picking which school I wanted to attend, I didn't choose until about the week of April 23rd. Mind you, I only had two to pick from because I only applied to three schools.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:01 am
Third Year

I go to the University of Auckland, in little old NZ. Not that I have anything to compare it with, but I think it's pretty good.

Favourite quote of the week:
Lazy, there's a chance but another day comes around
Unsatisfactory, walk on by and leaving on shaky ground
The red earth cries, it's gonna gonna gonna fall and come crashing down.
-Red Earth, last in Line

My fanfic- 'A New Purpose'
Old June 2nd, 2007, 9:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

College Courses

I just scheduled mine yesterday and am really excited.

Anyone else have their courses scheduled yet?

I'll be taking: Career Planning, Cultural Literacy, Professional Computer Applications, Rhetoric I, Introduction to Political Science, and World Religions.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 2nd, 2007, 9:56 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: College Courses

For those of us who have already taken our GCSEs or the equivalent thereof, could you translate those for us?

Good luck all the same, you're going to need it.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall