Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

College and Universities

Old May 7th, 2007, 1:07 am
First Year

Re: College and Universities

This is directed especially to Dark Days Ahead, who mentioned studying Library Science as well as other possibilities. I got my Masters in Library Science from USC in the mid-1970's. They no longer even offer the program, but it's been great. Just sort of retired after 35 years in that field. I also have a law degree, which I got first at another university. I was always a law school librarian and law professor. Very rewarding careers. I hope all of you will go on to college. Sure--it's a scary thing to face, but it will be among the best years of your life. Those of you getting ready to start this fall--hang in there, you'll find it to be awesome!! I went to USC undergrad in the late 60's and early 70's. I did one year of my undergrad at a univ in Japan. That experience totally rocked!! Hope you all ace every class!!

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2007, 2:00 pm
Fourth Year

I miss Uni so much I graduated in 2003 with a BSc (Hons) in Clinical physiology from the University of Ulster. Uni was the best 4 years of my life though I was still living at home. Thursday student night at the Queens student union, cheap drink and great craic.

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old May 7th, 2007, 2:08 pm
Second Year

Sile-out of interest what's university of ulster like?im planning on heading there for postgraduate because its the only irish college that offers dietetics.im in ucc at the moment,and the social aspect of cork is fantastic.is it the same with coleraine or is it more subdued?

Old May 7th, 2007, 2:26 pm
First Year

I started University in February this year, and I am enjoying it so much more than High School. I'm doing the Bachelor of Psychology at Griffith Uni (in Australia). It's awesome so far ^^.

Beware of Lord Bunnymort!

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" - Albus Dumbledore
Old May 7th, 2007, 3:07 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I always wanted to go to Old Dominion University, but, I couldn't afford to go to university/college in general when I was that age, and, ironically, I still can't, unless I get a nice grant.

Old May 7th, 2007, 3:13 pm
Second Year

I want to study medicine, haven't decided which uni though.

Last edited by T__Riddle; June 25th, 2011 at 4:13 pm.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Third Year

College process kinda sucks for me right now. I decided to go to a university but another college sent me a financial aid package that rocks (40,000+). Im trying to see if I can work things out.

Old May 8th, 2007, 9:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissaWeasley View Post
Ive just finished first year college-exams start on tuesday

Im doing biochemistry with physiology in the hopes of becoming a dietcian

First year for me was hard,being away from home and all for the first time-i was horribly homesick for the first 2 months.However i really settled in by the end of the year and love it here now.also ive learned a few mistakes not to repeat in second year ie.not going to class!it really does make a huge difference.
Cool, I'm a would-be dietitian too. I should graduate with BSc Nutritional Sciences this summer and have a place on a postgrad diploma in dietetics for next year. Where are you looking to train?

Old May 8th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Cool, I'm a would-be dietitian too. I should graduate with BSc Nutritional Sciences this summer and have a place on a postgrad diploma in dietetics for next year. Where are you looking to train?
My college doesnt offer dietetics so im looking at doing a masters/pg diploma in either the university of ulster which is the only college in ireland offering the course,or an english or welsh uni after i graduate-both cardiff and leeds look good.

The job prospects and starting salary for dieticians looks quite good too-especially compared to scientific journalism which is what i'd previously hoped to do.

Old May 8th, 2007, 9:59 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

I go to college right now, and though tragedies like the one in Virginia Tech can happen anywhere, I am too immersed in my own school work to really think about it, to be perfectly honest. Is it a possibility and am I fearful that it could happen? Yes, but after what happened there, I think security will be "beefed" up and will be on the lookout for anything suspicious. Of course, it can still happen, but College overwhelms me sometimes because I am in nursing school, and the amount of information I have to learn sometimes keeps growing without any sign of stopping. However, I'm excited about graduating this December, and I honestly wouldn't change my college experiences for anything in the world. College is fun, and I love to feel productive and know that my goal is not that far off into coming a reality.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old May 10th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Third Year

I've just completed my last course for my undergrad, probably taking a year off and thinking over grad schools. Right now I have it naarowed down to UCC, NUIG, MUN and SFU. Still deciding between going into geography or archaeology, as I love both dearly.
Uni is a great experince, don't worry about not knowing anyone when you first get there, as there are so many others in the same boat. Get out and join some clubs that interest you or hang out in the campus pub and you'll meet lots of new people. I didn't find the transition from high school to uni a difficult one. There is a bit more work, but if you're doing something you love it doesn't actually feel like work.

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old May 10th, 2007, 9:28 pm
Second Year

I'm finishing up my third year as an undergraduate, majoring in Communicative Disorders. I'll start graduate school for a Doctor of Audiology degree in fall 2008.

College is great, if you can find a good balance. I go out and have fun, but I'm also pulling grade-point average in the high 'A' range. If you going to a university where you're living on your own without people to get on your case about homework and such, you really have to have some discipline.

I lived in the dormitories for my first two years, and then moved into an apartment. I think that living in an apartment with roommates is a great learning experience--it forces you to pay more attention to finances than living in the dorms, when you didn't have separate bills for utilities, didn't have to go grocery shopping, etc. I think apartment living in college is a wonderful transition into living in the 'real world' after graduation. There's still the structure of school in your life, but not the structure of the rules and regulations of the dorms.

strength in threes.
Old May 11th, 2007, 4:12 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
I graduated from Notre Dame in May of 2006. Loved every second I was there.

As for college being difficult, well, yes and no. It is definitely different than high school, but it is just another step, like going from jr high to high school. The biggest adjustment isn't really the classes themselves, its learning how to take care of yourself away from home.
So so true. I just finished my first year, and looking back I have changed so much over such a short period of time. You really cannot predict anything that is going to happen to you in college in my opinion. Some of the things that have happened I would have never imaged could have happened--not even just to me but to my friends at other colleges at well. People have changed so much, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I think that I have learned a lot about how to live on my own, which only college could have taught me. The only things I don't like about living in a dorm is the noise level...I can never sleep...bring ear plugs. I'm serious.

Old May 11th, 2007, 9:57 pm
Fifth Year

I just have to say that continuously switching majors is not the best idea. I've almost finished degrees in five different majors, and looking back, I've spent entirely too much time in the undergraduate program.

Old May 11th, 2007, 11:15 pm
Professor Emeritus

Just finished my freshman year of college about 30 minutes ago and probably just finished one of the most exciting and fun parts of my life. I love every minute of it.

I grew up always thinking I'd attend the University of Colorado, all the way up until I got moved out of Colorado and landed in Illinois. I go to the University of Iowa and absolutely love it! It's one of those hidden gems of universities. People who haven't been there always are kind of shocked and ask "Why Iowa?" however those that have been are absolutely thrilled and excited about it. I couldn't be happier about my choice.

I thread the needle through, you beat the Devil's tattoo.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 1:00 am
Fourth Year

I start at Florida International University in August and I'm majoring in English. It's not that big of a deal since I'm not going to be moving out of my house, and all my closest friends are going there too. I'm still quite excited =DD

If he'd died in the spring,
But he didn't-- he died in the fall.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 2:07 am
Second Year

I'm thinking of these colleges. Does anyone go to any of these or have any comments?

Hamilton College
Williams College
Colgate University
SUNY Geneseo
Kenyon College
Oberlin College
Denison University

In Snape I Trust Proud Supporter of the Snape Loved Lily Theory
"Had we but world enough, and time..." -Andrew Marvell
“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.” -Victor Hugo

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." -Marianne Williamson

"Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star..." - e. e. cummings
Old May 22nd, 2007, 3:22 am
First Year

I'll be going to Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Toledo, or Grand Valley State University.

GVSU is the best out of all of the those, and CMU is the most appealing, we'll see where I end up.

Mu first choice was University of Michigan, but my grades arent good enough for the Maize & Blue.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:24 am
Deslumbrante

I just finished up my first year at Indiana University, and I absolutely loved it. College has been one of the best experiences of my life, and I'm actually kind of sad to be home for the summer. I miss all of my friends, teachers, and even classes! I'm hoping to be a voice major at the end of next semester (I have to audition for the school of music...) so we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity2 View Post
I'm thinking of these colleges. Does anyone go to any of these or have any comments?

Hamilton College
Williams College
Colgate University
SUNY Geneseo
Kenyon College
Oberlin College
Denison University
The only one I'm familiar with from your list is Denison. I have a friend who goes there who absolutely loves it. It's a smaller college though so you would have to like that setting.

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:54 am
Second Year

I am finishing up my second year as a University student in just a couple of weeks. I am a double major (possible double degree) in Russian and European Studies. I think that college is important not just for getting an academic education, but also for being able to grow into a new level of independence and responsibility before being totally out in the world on your own.

This year my biggest lesson has been balancing time. I was/am taking a rather rigorous course load and at the same time managed to get myself very involved in student government. It seemed like a great idea at the time, until I realized it is a 14-20 hour a week job for no pay, and at times very little thanks. Still, it has been great as a learning experience, but it is one roller-coaster ride I hope not to repeat again next year.

As a random aside: this is my first time back to COS in about 2 years, it is interesting to see what has changed and what hasn't.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall