Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Should prostitution be made legal?



 
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old May 9th, 2007, 6:18 pm
Metamorphose  Female.gif Metamorphose is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4075 days
Location: Earth
Posts: 28
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

A sexaholic. I was trying not to put it bluntly.


Sponsored Links
  #82  
Old May 9th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5341 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Then they'd have sex for free if the paid option weren't available.

Point is there a plenty of jurisdictions around the world mature enough to enact legalised prostitution laws without the sky falling and making the business safer for workers and consumers.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
  #83  
Old May 9th, 2007, 6:30 pm
Metamorphose  Female.gif Metamorphose is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4075 days
Location: Earth
Posts: 28
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

I respect your opinion, but I can't agree with you. You do have a point about the payment, but I'm sure that lots and lots of governments have things more important than prostitution on their minds right now.


  #84  
Old May 9th, 2007, 7:13 pm
crookshanks1177's Avatar
crookshanks1177  Female.gif crookshanks1177 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5024 days
Age: 35
Posts: 2,023
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphose View Post
The consenting adults in many cases go into prostitution either because they're just....that kind of person...or they have no other way to get money. Legalizing it would be encouraging the people that 1.) they can have sex and get paid for it; and/or 2.) that prostitution is a good way to get money (which it isn't).
First off I second Wab's question...

And I will say it again. Prostitution is one of the most ancient occupations the world has... Whether it is legal or not, people are still going to go out and have sex for money. I don't think 'encouragement' is the issue.


  #85  
Old May 9th, 2007, 7:39 pm
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4893 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphose View Post
The girls don't run because they have a roof over their head and they don't want to go back out there in the cold.
A serious amount of trauma can be dealt to a child very easily. Think of the trauma they get from something this serious. And to legalize it is just saying that people are allowed to have these little girls do things that they don't even understand.
You don't need to tell us about runaways. Of 100,000 runaways in the UK each year, a third of them are gay, and most of them turn to prostitution as the only means of supporting themselves because there aren't any government assistance programmes for them. It's not a good thing, but it's a completely different topic.

Prostitution between consenting adults cannot be compared to human trafficking and underage sex. Legalising prostitution would not make either of those things right or legal, and in fact, it would do a lot to cut down on those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphose View Post
The consenting adults in many cases go into prostitution either because they're just....that kind of person...or they have no other way to get money. Legalizing it would be encouraging the people that 1.) they can have sex and get paid for it; and/or 2.) that prostitution is a good way to get money (which it isn't).
Sexaholics? Hmm ... why should people get paid for having sex with people they wouldn't normally have sex with? Why isn't prostitution a good way to make money? It seems you are making several judgment calls, but you aren't giving any reasons for why prostitution specifically is a bad thing.


__________________
  #86  
Old May 9th, 2007, 8:04 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4822 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Human Trafficking and Prostitution go hand in hand a lot of times, but Prostitution doesn't need to be a result of trafficking or vice versa. It sound to me that people think here that those always belong together and one has to be the result of the other, but that's not true. Making Prostitution legal, wouldn't change much on the trafficking problem IMO. Whether it's legal or illegal, there will be always people who try to take advantage of it. Governments should do something against trafficking and people who force other, instead of making the whole thing illegal and kinda throw all in one pot and deny acceptance to even those who do it freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphose
The consenting adults in many cases go into prostitution either because they're just....that kind of person...or they have no other way to get money. Legalizing it would be encouraging the people that 1.) they can have sex and get paid for it; and/or 2.) that prostitution is a good way to get money (which it isn't).
Sexaholics? Hmm ... why should people get paid for having sex with people they wouldn't normally have sex with? Why isn't prostitution a good way to make money? It seems you are making several judgment calls, but you aren't giving any reasons for why prostitution specifically is a bad thing.
I also don't see any problems why sex shouldn't be a good way to get money. When people think it is, then let them do it.


__________________


The End of the Dream.
  #87  
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:18 pm
Daemon_in_a_Box  Undisclosed.gif Daemon_in_a_Box is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4204 days
Location: a Box
Posts: 491
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Does prostitution only involve a direct exchange of money? Just wondering, because a lot of people will sleep with someone if offered expensive gifts (jewelry or a car, for example) or some other type of compensation (influence, social status, etc). In that sense, directly accepting money is simply cutting out the middle man.

If you want to sleep with someone, chances are you have to do something for that person to get you there.


__________________

What the...?

Last edited by Daemon_in_a_Box; May 9th, 2007 at 11:21 pm.
  #88  
Old May 10th, 2007, 5:33 am
Momolizzy  Female.gif Momolizzy is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4105 days
Posts: 5
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

prostituition should never be made legal beacuse it is basically marketing a woman or man to the open public even though it is that person's choice to do so, it's just morally wrong


  #89  
Old May 10th, 2007, 5:48 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5341 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Morals are a personal choice and have no place in sound law-making.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
  #90  
Old May 10th, 2007, 6:48 am
Metamorphose  Female.gif Metamorphose is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4075 days
Location: Earth
Posts: 28
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Actually, they have a big place in law-making. A lot of laws are based on what is moral and what is not. Such as murder, robbery, arson, or adultery.


  #91  
Old May 10th, 2007, 7:54 am
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4893 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphose View Post
Actually, they have a big place in law-making. A lot of laws are based on what is moral and what is not. Such as murder, robbery, arson, or adultery.
Yes but not all morals are universal. I'd say killing and stealing are pretty much the same kind of bad for most people, but there are plenty of morals out there that I disagree with. I don't want laws made based on one person's or one group's morals especially when it violates my own personal morals. The bigger picture has to be looked at in sound law-making.


__________________
  #92  
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:45 pm
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5341 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphose View Post
Actually, they have a big place in law-making. A lot of laws are based on what is moral and what is not. Such as murder, robbery, arson, or adultery.
Murder, robbery and arson cause harm to others. Adultery is no against the law.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
  #93  
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Alastor's Avatar
Alastor  Male.gif Alastor is offline
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs
 
Joined: 5600 days
Posts: 6,466
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

We can not exclude morals from law-making. Moral like law is about making society work.

But I think the intricacies of the relation between law and moral is a bit too diverse a topic for this thread. So let's stick to prostitution and the aspects of it.


__________________




Last edited by Alastor; May 10th, 2007 at 2:38 pm.
  #94  
Old May 10th, 2007, 4:53 pm
Vasheba  Female.gif Vasheba is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4597 days
Age: 37
Posts: 355
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

I just think it's a little funny and sad that people assume there must be something wrong with a woman - ie abuse, mental illness, addiction, destitution - if she wants to participate in stripping, porn, or prostitution. While sometimes that may be the case, not everyone who gets into the sex industry is messed up. Nobody questions a guy who wants to strip, star in porn, or participate in prostitution. It's "natural" for a man to want unattached sex.

Anyway, about the "morality" of it: If you don't like it; don't participate. Simple as that. I don't see any reason why prostitution would be more out there than porn is now. Set up certain guidelines, and it would be only available for people over 18, who go searching out these services. You could limit sex workers to liscensed brothels (the way Nevada does now if I'm not mistaken). Legalizing prostitution wouldn't mean scantily clad people running up and down the streets and into schoolyards yelling "$50/hour, come and get it!!" the way some people seem to think by their reactions. You wouldn't legalize it and then set NO restrictions. That's just silly.


__________________

Snape Article
My Art
  #95  
Old May 13th, 2007, 7:33 am
Frankie62446  Female.gif Frankie62446 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4738 days
Location: Oz
Age: 28
Posts: 90
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

I think that it's hypocritical for society to want to "give women the right to their own bodies" and to "not be controlled in terms of their bodies by the gorverment" when it comes to abortion, but then they condemn prostitution.

Not saying that I support prostitution at all; it's just something I found ironic.


__________________

"Swimming is the only sport that requires its athletes to rehab an injury while continuing to train,
lest they lose their tenuously held competitive advantages. Which explain why swimmers are zany. And by zany, we mean absolutely nuts." -ESPN Magazine

No I can't hang out with you July 21, 2007... HOW DARE YOU ASK?!

  #96  
Old May 13th, 2007, 6:03 pm
Padfoot_Returns  Female.gif Padfoot_Returns is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4195 days
Location: Waiting for July 21!
Age: 25
Posts: 305
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasheba View Post
Anyway, about the "morality" of it: If you don't like it; don't participate. Simple as that.
Ok, fine. I agree about the "you don't like it then don't do it", but I still think its immoral for someone else to do. I understand that everyone is free to do whatever they want, but prostitution not only effects that person, but the whole economy as well.


__________________

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #97  
Old May 13th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Mysticbreeze  Female.gif Mysticbreeze is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4735 days
Location: Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Age: 50
Posts: 55
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot_Returns View Post
Ok, fine. I agree about the "you don't like it then don't do it", but I still think its immoral for someone else to do. I understand that everyone is free to do whatever they want, but prostitution not only effects that person, but the whole economy as well.
It could also be thought as immoral.......
For people to have sex and yet not be married.
To go out to clubs and leave with someone they had just met and have sex(some people do that quit often).
To be married and have sex with someone other than your spouse.
To have sex with more than one partner.
To have sex with your boss in order to be promoted.
etc., etc.,

In all those situations the adult made a conscious decision to chose to do those things.
and HOW would any of that affect the economy?

Why should it then be illegal if an adult decides she/he would like to do all these things, or similar, but would like to get paid to do it, instead of giving it out for free?
If legalized, it would in fact generate tax dollars. How does that affect the economy? Certainly not in a negative way.
People have always, and will always continue, to use and or provide this service. It's the worlds oldest trade. Legalising it, as has been stated many times, would actually help better a prostitutes life not only in their health/desease issues but eliminate the need for a pimp, allowing the prostitute to keep more money, which would enable her to help get herself/himself out of the trade quickly, if she/he wants to, or just enable her/him to live a more comfortable life and not be afraid of when the pimp is going to do something bad to her/him.

Heck, making porn movies is not even illegal and there people are, all not only having sex all over the place with alot of different people, not only being watched live by the camera crew but being watched by an audience of millions and GETTING PAID for it!!
I think something is wrong with THAT being legal and NOT prostitution!


__________________
give me coffee or I can not be held responsible for my actions!!!
  #98  
Old May 13th, 2007, 7:49 pm
DancingMaenid  Undisclosed.gif DancingMaenid is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4738 days
Location: United States
Age: 29
Posts: 2,227
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasheba View Post
I just think it's a little funny and sad that people assume there must be something wrong with a woman - ie abuse, mental illness, addiction, destitution - if she wants to participate in stripping, porn, or prostitution. While sometimes that may be the case, not everyone who gets into the sex industry is messed up. Nobody questions a guy who wants to strip, star in porn, or participate in prostitution. It's "natural" for a man to want unattached sex.
Actually, I would question a man being involved in those just as much as a woman being involved. I think that, unfortunately, a lot of people who become prostitutes do so because they don't have many other options, rather than because they really want to. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible for people to do it because they prefer it as a job. In fact, I've heard of people being prostitutes because it was good money and they didn't have an issue with doing it, nothing more. But I don't think it's a job that most people who have other good options are going to choose.


  #99  
Old May 14th, 2007, 3:54 am
rigdoctorbri's Avatar
rigdoctorbri  Male.gif rigdoctorbri is offline
Purveyor of Prophesy
 
Joined: 4812 days
Location: Arguing with myself
Age: 46
Posts: 2,336
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Who has more of a mental defect, the prostitute or the John? Granted, many do it because they are destitute, have serious mental or addictive issues, but not all. Those of "High Class" call girl persuasion are often very educated. Those who pay for services are more often the ones being taken advantage of. Many legal prostitutes make six figure incomes. They work for regulated brothels, and are tested monthly or weekly for STDs and other illnesses. Some have benefits, including medical, dental, and 401k plans.

I do not agree with general prostitution being legalized, but in regulated and controlled environments why not? Though, I personally would not use the services (happily married), legalizing it would actually help the problem rather than make it worse. It is a victimless crime now anyway.


__________________
Special thanks to storyteller for the Banner
Thanks to all who voted for me in the Through The Trapdoor: Fourth Challenge!

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
  #100  
Old May 14th, 2007, 7:51 am
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4893 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticbreeze View Post
Heck, making porn movies is not even illegal and there people are, all not only having sex all over the place with alot of different people, not only being watched live by the camera crew but being watched by an audience of millions and GETTING PAID for it!!
I think something is wrong with THAT being legal and NOT prostitution!
Hear hear!


__________________
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:16 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.