Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Should prostitution be made legal?

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:57 pm
Third Year

Should prostitution be made legal?

Ok, I know it sounds crazy, but should prostitution be made legal in the countries its illegal in.

I was in a Model UN conference and this was the debate. One side said its all about personal choice and the other side said that it should be kept illegal.

Personally, I don't think it should be made legal because its just wrong.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:43 am
First Year

Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

I don't think it should be made legal.
There is a reason it became illegal in the first place, and I think they should stick to those laws.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good
look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
Old May 2nd, 2007, 9:17 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _emily View Post
I don't think it should be made legal.
There is a reason it became illegal in the first place, and I think they should stick to those laws.
Not that I think prostitution is a good thing (I find it unsanitary and completely repulsive), but simply because something was once made illegal doesn't mean that it should remain illegal. There are many things that are made illegal in overbearing states that completely contradict basic human rights and common morality. It was even once illegal for women and minorities to vote and own property in the U.S. There were reasons that these became illegal, but they did not remain illegal because society and acceptable culture changed. Just something to think about.

Last edited by dasfres; May 2nd, 2007 at 9:23 am.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfres View Post
Not that I think prostitution is a good thing (I find it unsanitary and completely repulsive), but simply because something was once made illegal doesn't mean that it should remain illegal. There are many things that are made illegal in overbearing states that completely contradict basic human rights and common morality. It was even once illegal for women and minorities to vote and own property in the U.S. There were reasons that these became illegal, but they did not remain illegal because society and acceptable culture changed. Just something to think about.
Thats true but while not allowing women to vote and own poperty was against their rights so is legalising a practice which puts poverty stricken women in terrible conditions and makes them susceptible to aids and other diseases..the same goes for male prostitutes too.its a product of poverty stricken societies-i dont think anyone actually chooses prostitution as a career.im not religious so its more a matter of the dangers of prostitution that makes me think it should never be legalised.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:24 am
First Year

In New Zealand, a law was passed in 2003 to make prositution legal. The reasons were not moralistic but for the safety of the sex workers involved. The idea was that it allowed to police to protect sex workers without being legally obliged to arrest them (usually they just turned a blind eye, and brothels were "massage parlours") and that sex workers could come forward if they were the victim of assault, etc, during their work. It's still illegal for anyone under 18, and brothels have to hold a certificate.

I think the sex trade can be a tragic life for a lot of people, but I do believe legalising it was better for the prostitutes, so I would say I supported the law. There was plenty of fuss and mess while it was going into transition, but I haven't heard any damning stastistics come out in the last couple of years to show it was a terrible idea.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:35 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

In the Netherlands where I live prostitution is legal, now you won't hear me say that this is a completely perfect way of handling prostitution. But in my view it's the best thing. Prostitutes in the Netherlands have access to the social security system, may join unions, have to pay income tax and are treated like any other self-employed tradesperson. Health and social services are available. There are special zones where women can "walk the streets", mainly car parks, with continuous police protection and social services.

All this makes it easier to protect women who have chosen this profession.

The downside however is that the Netherlands is the main destination for human trafficking of women from Eastern Europe and other regions that have been deceived with promises of a good job here and instead are forced into prostitution. That's something the government and police try to stop, with limited success.

You could disagree with the moral values of the women who work as prostitutes, however people tend to forget a lot of women have little choice in the matter. They are in prostitution because of drug abuse, mental problems or force, hardly any woman prefers the job over something else. Wouldn't it be better then to give them more protection, education and maybe a chance to escape? By making prostitution legal women have the chance to go somewhere to tell their story and maybe leave the job.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:37 am
The Next Great Adventurer

It's legal here. Keeps the sex workers off the streets, ensures that they are in safer circumstances and are required to have regular health checks. Plus it put an end to the endemic corruption that's inevitable when it is illegal.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:58 am
She Who Walks Behind

Prostitution is legal here and considered as a "job" and service. This gives the prostitute the right to get a adequate payment, to be able to insure themself (health insurance, pension insurance etc). Exploitation of the prostituts is also prohibited.

There will be always prostitution, no matter if it's legal or illegal. But the people should have the right to practise their job and making it legal would give them more rights and protection IMO.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; May 2nd, 2007 at 12:01 pm.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 1:15 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Personally, I don't think it should be made legal because its just wrong.
Do you have any reasons for thinking its wrong?

I'm not sure on this. I think legalising it would be good (you mean in the United States, right?) to help keep prostitutes off the street (for their protection) but there is always the possibility of it becoming a more popular option for young people wanting 'quick cash' if it is made legal. Now I know that just because something is legalised, doesnt mean it will instantly become more popular but it is a possibility.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 1:18 pm
Third Year

Stripping's legal and it's hardly a popular after school job.

Also... I swear we've had this topic around before, but I can't find it now. Are the forums eating threads?

Snape Article
My Art
Old May 2nd, 2007, 2:02 pm
First Year

The government made prostitution legal in Germany a few years ago and, frankly, nothing did change. There was plenty of wild debate while it was going into transition, but I haven't heard any damning stastistics come out in the last couple of years showing horrible results. In contrary, I think it had positive effects since it ensures that sex workers are in safer circumstances and are required to have regular health checks.

I am no native speaker - if you find mistakes, you may keep them
Old May 2nd, 2007, 2:28 pm
Third Year

Well, this is the same discussion, to make legal prostitution is like to make legal drugs.
What you think about this, it´s the same for drugs or prostitution.
It´s the same question.
To turn drugs legal, makes them safe and healthly, drugs can be controled, to make protitution legal the same? But what about the little thing called moral? Anything can control sex hunger when protitution satisfy everything you can imagine.

I think humankind needs laws, like it or not, to make legal everything without moral, will make this world even worst, and moral will not exist anymore.
Laws are the only thing to control people.
Without the fact people can feel "They are wrong" there´s nothing left.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 3:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It's legal here. Keeps the sex workers off the streets, ensures that they are in safer circumstances and are required to have regular health checks. Plus it put an end to the endemic corruption that's inevitable when it is illegal.

I also think it should be legal because it's a transaction between 2 consenting adults. One person is buying a service that the other person is offering.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 3:36 pm
Third Year

The only problem with making it illegal (as the case is here, the government have now decided to do so) is that, although it might help prevent trafficking etc. to some degree, the market will not go away, and these cases will be harder to solve when the prostitutes won't work with the police, because their job is illegal. The way it is here they've decided to make buying sex illegal while selling it is not, which I think is good, because that could have the police keep up the cooperation they have with the prostitutes today, to help catching pimp's and traffickers.

The idea of treating someone's body as an object, though, is morally wrong. You shouldn't be able to go and buy yourself a girl (or boy) the way you can buy a couple of socks.
Even though the safest thing, to prevent diseases and control the prostitution, would probably be public brothels with health control stations and such, it would never happen because it would not only make the state gain money from selling people, but it would also show an acceptance of the industry.

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what." - Atticus Finch , who has the same thoughts about courage as Dumbledore.

R.I.P. every brave witch, wizard or other creature who died fighting the most evil wizard who ever lived.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 7:18 pm
Fifth Year

Prostitution is wrong. It demeans the men and women who have to trade sex to survive from day to day. No one chooses prostitution if they have other choices avaliable to them.
Quote:
The downside however is that the Netherlands is the main destination for human trafficking of women from Eastern Europe and other regions that have been deceived with promises of a good job here and instead are forced into prostitution. That's something the government and police try to stop, with limited success.
Does that really sound like legalisation has worked?

~TheFiend~

Old May 2nd, 2007, 7:35 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleF View Post
Prostitution is wrong. It demeans the men and women who have to trade sex to survive from day to day. No one chooses prostitution if they have other choices avaliable to them.
Prostitution exsists since centuries and is not wrong, when the people decide for themself that it's the way they want to live. Prostitution against a persons will, that is wrong.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:21 pm
Fifth Year

I think it all depends on personal opinion.

If it's chosen, prostitution is not wrong. But then, it's not all that often chosen.

However keeping it legal will allow, as others have said, for more safety. The sex workers can work with the cops safely, health benefits are provided, and it's treated as a job. After all, these people are making money. And you have to take into account the rare person who really does just enjoy selling themselves for the... pleasure.

I think it should be legal. I don't agree with it, because no human should be allowed to buy a human like they would a book or a movie, but I don't see the reasons for making it illegal.

I think legalizing it would make it safer for the people who do it.

However, I think laws would then have to be passed to make sure it remained a safe... opportunity. for example, customers would have to provide proof of their health. Yes, it can be faked, so steps would have to be taken to ensure that the best possible check are done to ensure as much as possible the validity of the customer's health records. Extra protection should be afforded to the employees, because they can be exploited.

It is a risky business, after all. So, laws would have to be tightened that protect and control the business, but, yes, it should be legal.

See? Those are cool spoilers! They can make you cool. I like them. Because then I know what to spend my money on (J.R.R. Tolkien) and what to avoid (J.K. Rowling)...

H/Hr
Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:55 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

It should. Prostitution will never go away, and keeping it illegal just leaves the prostitues to live in a nightmare, on the streets, with zero protection, under constant threat of being killed or enslaved. Making it legal will give them security and legal protection, which is much better than closing our eyes and pretending they don't exist.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:59 pm
Second Year

Nobody should think it's okay to sell your body for money. A lot of danger comes from Prostitution as well as health issues. I don't know about anyone outside the UK has heard about this but a few months ago around 7 prostitutes were murderd by the same man in the space of a week. Normally girls get into prostitution to feed their drug habbit, and its usually illegal drugs. By making it legal you are letting them feed their drug addiction, which is wrong.

There are somethings you can't share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 9:10 pm
Admin Emeritus

I think a lot of you guys are spot on with the good aspects of legal prostitution.

Does prostitution disappear when it is illegal? Of course not.
Should something be illegal just because it is immoral? I don't think so.
Does legalization improve the safety of prostitutes? Certainly.

I think it's clear that logically, it should be legalized. The same kind of arguments can be used for drugs, but that's another debate...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives