Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Old July 12th, 2010, 11:46 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Re: Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination Version 2

When I make a joke then it goes like this "A French, German and English enter a bar...".

I am being realistic, that is all. Wear whatever you want, but don't complain when you get the wrong feedback.

Women are not doing bad things then?

The End of the Dream.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
When I make a joke then it goes like this "A French, German and English enter a bar...".

I am being realistic, that is all. Wear whatever you want, but don't complain when you get the wrong feedback.

"Hey there, slut" does not count as "the wrong feedback"--it counts as harassment, FYI.
And in fact, I was at the library one day, wearing perfectly decent clothing and browsing the shelves when a group of idiots (male) decided to harass me.
And according to you, these freaks, who weren't wearing decent clothing--in fact it was falling right off them, it was so loose--had a RIGHT to spew hateful, sexually explicit comments at me because....why?
As for women not doing bad things--I'm sorry, but I'm getting impatient, just inches away from caps lock--did I say that?

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightreading View Post
"Hey there, slut" does not count as "the wrong feedback"--it counts as harassment, FYI.
And in fact, I was at the library one day, wearing perfectly decent clothing and browsing the shelves when a group of idiots (male) decided to harass me.
And according to you, these freaks, who weren't wearing decent clothing--in fact it was falling right off them, it was so loose--had a RIGHT to spew hateful, sexually explicit comments at me because....why?
As for women not doing bad things--I'm sorry, but I'm getting impatient, just inches away from caps lock--did I say that?
Calm down, lr. Everything's fine. But I agree with you.

We just fly these circles like tired kites
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:04 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Why shouldn't someone complain when being mistreated? The way a woman dresses does not force a man against his will to make inappropriate comments. This kind of thinking is exactly the reason so many women do not report violations against them; they know that people will find a way to blame it on them instead of the person who actually did something wrong. But on another note, you seem to think that a woman will only get cat called if she is dressed in a certain manner. I can tell you that is a lie. I've had men shout all kinds of comments at me and I am very conservative in what I wear and I've seen lots of other conservatively dressed women get cat called. And cat calling isn't just shouting "compliments" at women; it's also demeaning them when they don't respond to your compliments and harasing them.

Quote:
No one has said that. But we are on the subject of victim blaming in gender thread. When women are victims of a crime at he hands of men, they are often blamed for causing the crime. And FYI: Bringing up the subject of women committing crimes when in the middle of a discussion about victim blaming as it pertains to women does nothing but derail the discussing. That happens all too often when discussion issues that seriously affect women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightreading View Post
I agree. Lots of women are harassed for no other crime then stepping outside of their homes. Heck, I've been harassed while I was wearing an overcoat and two pairs of pants.

Last edited by MistressofRaven; July 13th, 2010 at 12:30 am. Reason: spelling
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Okay, I think I'm getting out of here. I'm really tired of the derailing and sexism.

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:31 am
She Who Walks Behind

yes yes it's always good to take a break, when it gets too heated.
It's time for bed anyways. Adios.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 13th, 2010, 1:27 am
Fourth Year

Ciao.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old July 13th, 2010, 1:30 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
The point is, the "wrong feedback" as you call it should not be happening at all. Harassment and cat calling is offensive behavior, and the problem is with the one doing the harassing, not the woman or her clothing.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old July 13th, 2010, 2:38 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
What do they expect when they walk around in suggestive clothes?
I expect to be treated like a respected human being, no matter what I choose to wear. Also, like others have said, you don't need to wear anything suggestive in this world to be harassed.

Quote:
Women should be able to wear whatever they want without being harassed imo. Only the men harassing them are doing something wrong, and this is what needs to change in our society, not what women wear imo.

Old July 13th, 2010, 3:19 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
I expect to be treated like a respected human being, no matter what I choose to wear. Also, like others have said, you don't need to wear anything suggestive in this world to be harassed.

Women should be able to wear whatever they want without being harassed imo. Only the men harassing them are doing something wrong, and this is what needs to change in our society, not what women wear imo.
Thank you for posting this. I agree with you completely.

Old July 13th, 2010, 3:40 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Me thinks this thread doesn't serve it's purpose anymore.

*lock*

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives