Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller



 
 
Thread Tools
  #141  
Old June 17th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Mundungus Fletc's Avatar
Mundungus Fletc  Male.gif Mundungus Fletc is offline
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising
 
Joined: 5117 days
Location: England
Posts: 4,487
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
Just a note on how other countries look at gun possession, a grandmother was found with a old WW2 pistol under her bed, she had never fired it, had no ammo for it and had merely taken possession of it from her father when he died. Despite all this Scots law says unauthorised gun ownership comes with an automatic 5 year jail term which is exactly what she got. Just an interesting comparison.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10335003.stm)

(Am right in thinking this is the only gun law thread? My search didn't bring up anything else)
Scottish law on gun ownership is indeed draconian - but given the Dunblane massacre hardly surprising


Sponsored Links
  #142  
Old June 17th, 2010, 6:07 pm
Linda86  Female.gif Linda86 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5475 days
Location: In a cream puff
Age: 31
Posts: 382
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Which leads to the question: What is it about Americans that make them so much more murdrous than the rest of the western world?
I think it's because we have the second amendment & making guns easily to possess. With so many weapons in our environment, it influences us to be violent. I think this theory is called the weapon theory? When a weapon is not in a room, the person is calm & not quick to anger. When a weapon is in a room, the person gets a little violent.

I wouldn't lose sleep if the second amendment was abolished. That amendment was adopted during a time of revolution & war. The Founding Fathers found it a necessary component because of what was happening. We no longer have to fear enemy soldiers taking residence on our property.


  #143  
Old June 17th, 2010, 6:28 pm
Klio's Avatar
Klio  Female.gif Klio is offline
Winning Teamster
 
Joined: 3788 days
Posts: 3,647
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
When a weapon is not in a room, the person is calm & not quick to anger. When a weapon is in a room, the person gets a little violent.
I wouldn't quite put it like this.

What I'd say is this:

If a person freaks out and a weapon is in the room (with easily available ammunition etc), there is a bigger chance that they hurt somebody very seriously.

In other words, I am not sure whether people get angry more eaily because a gun is available. But when they are angry, the consequences might be worse.


__________________

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
  #144  
Old June 17th, 2010, 6:56 pm
leah49's Avatar
leah49  Female.gif leah49 is offline
Ron's Pygmy Puff
 
Joined: 3962 days
Location: Weasley's Wizard Wheezes
Age: 35
Posts: 6,390
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
Just a note on how other countries look at gun possession, a grandmother was found with a old WW2 pistol under her bed, she had never fired it, had no ammo for it and had merely taken possession of it from her father when he died. Despite all this Scots law says unauthorised gun ownership comes with an automatic 5 year jail term which is exactly what she got. Just an interesting comparison.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10335003.stm)

(Am right in thinking this is the only gun law thread? My search didn't bring up anything else)
Maybe if I grew up in another country where gun laws were stricter I would think differently, but wow, that sounds awful. I guess she deserves punishment for unauthorised gun ownership, but 5 years in jail?


__________________



I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
  #145  
Old June 17th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Klio's Avatar
Klio  Female.gif Klio is offline
Winning Teamster
 
Joined: 3788 days
Posts: 3,647
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Maybe if I grew up in another country where gun laws were stricter I would think differently, but wow, that sounds awful. I guess she deserves punishment for unauthorised gun ownership, but 5 years in jail?
I am all for Scottish strict gun laws, but I. too, think that this is too harsh.

IMHO, this comes from making knee-jerk laws in the wake of terrible tragedies, when emotions run too high for making good laws. And I am generally against mandatory sentences. Judges should be free to decide the punishment on the basis of the case in hand - and it shouldn't be up to politicians to determine mandatory minimum sentences, because you never know who'll be caught by such a measure.

But alas, the press and 'popular opinion' tends to demand minimum sentences out of fear that criminals will be handled too leniently.

ANd that's the kind of thing one gets as a consequence.


__________________

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
  #146  
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:26 pm
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5345 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

That's the problem with mandatory minimum penalties. As Klio said they are usually passsed during the time of a moral panic, they deny the defendant the basic right to receive a punishment which is proportional to the offence and their prior record.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
  #147  
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:08 am
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 5800 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
I think it's because we have the second amendment & making guns easily to possess. With so many weapons in our environment, it influences us to be violent. I think this theory is called the weapon theory? When a weapon is not in a room, the person is calm & not quick to anger. When a weapon is in a room, the person gets a little violent.
No.
Statistically speaking, Americans aren't any more murderous than any other people in any other western country.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
  #148  
Old June 18th, 2010, 1:04 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5345 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Statistically it is.

The US is 24th in murders per capita with 0.042802 per 1,000 people.

The nearest established western democracy is Finland at 30th with 0.0283362 per 1,000 people.

UK, Australia, Canda, Germany and France come in at 46th, 43rd, 44th, 49th and 40th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
  #149  
Old June 18th, 2010, 6:50 am
Mundungus Fletc's Avatar
Mundungus Fletc  Male.gif Mundungus Fletc is offline
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising
 
Joined: 5117 days
Location: England
Posts: 4,487
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Maybe if I grew up in another country where gun laws were stricter I would think differently, but wow, that sounds awful. I guess she deserves punishment for unauthorised gun ownership, but 5 years in jail?
I would like to know more about the case - if I had inherited something from my father (whether a gun or anything else) I think it very unlikely I would keep it under the mattress. The case, as stated by the news report seems very simplistic. A jury was able to convict her


  #150  
Old June 18th, 2010, 7:17 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5345 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

The Scotsman has a longer article placing the incident more in context and includes the judge's reasoning.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
  #151  
Old June 18th, 2010, 4:43 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 5800 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Statistically it is.

The US is 24th in murders per capita with 0.042802 per 1,000 people.

The nearest established western democracy is Finland at 30th with 0.0283362 per 1,000 people.

UK, Australia, Canda, Germany and France come in at 46th, 43rd, 44th, 49th and 40th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita
No.

How you define the "West" is erroneous.

The western hemisphere doesn't include quite a few countries. 24th is a far cry anywho. And how does ownership of firearms play a part in the first 23 countries?

And since automobiles kill far more people in the US than firearms(3x more)...and cigarettes even moreso (10x more)...it seems we really do have a problem, but not just with firearms it seems.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
  #152  
Old June 18th, 2010, 5:34 pm
unconvinced  Male.gif unconvinced is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4683 days
Posts: 2,009
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
That's the problem with mandatory minimum penalties. As Klio said they are usually passsed during the time of a moral panic, they deny the defendant the basic right to receive a punishment which is proportional to the offence and their prior record.
Although in this case the judge said that there was no reason not to give a 5 year term. I think the main point was she had 23 years to hand it in and simply refused to.


  #153  
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5345 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: U.S. Second Amendment: post-Heller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
No.

How you define the "West" is erroneous.

The western hemisphere doesn't include quite a few countries. 24th is a far cry anywho. And how does ownership of firearms play a part in the first 23 countries?
I used the correct political defintition of western and not a geographical quibble.

And my question wasn't about firearms, but the nature of the people.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:55 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.