Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Closed Thread

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:08 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

I am so sad to hear this! Although I can't say it wasn't inevitable I am among those that have been visiting CoS less and less...

The forums have meant a lot to be, especially around 2008/2009 where I made a lot of friends here who will always be a big part of my life. I'm going to miss coming onto CoS and reading everyone's thought about the latest topical items.

Thank you Morgoth for letting this run for so long!

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:31 pm
Second Year

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu.

It's been a great ride, and I'll be here until the end day, goofing around in the Caption Contest and other areas.

(and if any of you find a Raekuul or a Pokota out there somewhere, send a message - it's probably me)

EDIT: And to think that I just made 2nd year ^^;

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:41 pm
Second Year

K, I have an idea: how about paring down & re-working the site to make it less expensive (CoS-lite)?

Would it work to bring the cost down if we streamlined everything into something more basic?

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:50 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

The forums have been one of the few constants in my life since I joined them six years ago, and I don't really have words to express how I feel right now, even though it's been in the cards for some time now.

So I guess I'll just say thanks. Thank you, Matt - for putting up with me and my strange owls, for making me a mod in spite of them, and for creating this wonderful haven where I have been so very blessed. I still feel like I owe you a drink.

And thanks to everyone else - whether you made me moderate my posts after I wrote something I shouldn't have, or I made you do it once I went blue, you've added so much more to my life over the years, and I thank you for it. If there is anyone who wants to keep in touch with me and doesn't know how, we still have some time to send a few owls. I'll be watching for them.

To Mike and Jess, should you pop your heads in and read this - I'll still be your lackey, even when it stops being official. ^_^

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:50 pm
Second Year

Sad to hear this. It was my first English-speaking community in the Internet and I really enjoyed it, even though I didn't have an opportunity to write here often. I came here when I was at school and now I'm close to graduation the university, but I'm still here. I've even left Russian-speaking Harry Potter community I belonged to, but I've stucked here. I got to know a lot of interesting people from different countries, upgraded my English, had memorable debates, even heated - especially on non HP-related topics Very important thing is that the forum is family-friendly, and almost all members had respect to each other - that is unusual on the majority of forums.

Anyway it was a good time and I'm thankful to the staff and every member on this forum. And I think that the end of the forum shouldn't be only routine procedure - like we, Russians, say, we should slam the door, saying farewell to the forums, - for example, we may try to push hashtag with the word "Cosforums" on the top of Twitter or something else

Last edited by Jetty; March 29th, 2013 at 11:55 pm.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:55 pm
First Year

This is such a shame. Admittedly, I haven't spent much time here, but I'd have liked to. All good things must come to an end though, I suppose.

Old March 30th, 2013, 12:50 am
First Year

What awful and saddening news! I just heard about the death of Richard Griffiths and now this!

I've haven't been on this site for very long (less than a year) and I know I haven't been coming here often, mainly because of the demands of school (especially since now I'm in my last two years, and I imagine you know how busy those last years are). COS Forums was my second forums experience (the first being HisDarkMaterials.org) and my first Potter one.
I have enjoyed reading up on everyone's posts and contributing when I do (especially in the captions contests in which 90% of my posts must have been made!). Such a shame to see it go.
I thank everyone who contributed their time to this site, whether a user or moderator, etc., for the good time.

Ravenclaw on CoS
Hufflepuff on Pottermore
Old March 30th, 2013, 1:06 am
Third Year

So sad! It really feels like the end of an era I always thought this site would be around for years to come. I'll miss the (probably too much) in-depth discussions with you all, it was so nice to meet people who not only shared a common interest but were as obsessed with it as I was.

Old March 30th, 2013, 1:15 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liez View Post
What awful and saddening news! I just heard about the death of Richard Griffiths and now this!
So that's the real reason this forum is closing. Morgoth can't handle the death of such a great British actor as Griffiths. (RIP Richard Griffiths, please don't think I was being insensitive joking about your death).

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old March 30th, 2013, 1:22 am
Fifth Year

As one of the original members of this site that still come here, I am EXTREMELY heartbroken at this news. I have been here for over 10 years and while I'll admit I have stuck more to the Quidditch Pitch as of late I will miss the caption and 20 question threads the most. but also reading the awesome fan fics people have written and seeing different views on old"er" topics.

I wish there was something we could do to save the forum. and while I have an idea or two I shall just PM them to you Morgoth and get your opinion first.

It has been a pleasure chatting with you guys and I shall miss it. I will be making a thread on here where people can post their Facebook page (If they have one) so we can still stay in touch.

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old March 30th, 2013, 2:07 am
Registered Animagus

This is a sad day. I'm absolutely stunned.

Thank you so much for this wonderful forum. It gave me my love of Harry Potter and taught me so much about the books. With this knowledge, I was able to run a Harry Potter book club at the elementary school and showed the kids how to find meaning in the stories.

Thank you again. You'll be sorely missed.

Old March 30th, 2013, 2:10 am
Qvack...

Dear Matt,

I wanted to say thank you for the years you spent with CoS, the friends you helped us make and the permanent mark you left on my understanding of other cultures, other people, and lives other than my own. I'm not sure there are many people in the world who will ever understand the capacity this website had to bring us together in the spirit of debate and companionship.

They'll never give you an award for it, but you contributed to a very big part of my life, and I'm sure you contributed just as much to the lives of many others. I wish you the best life possible, and I hope you know that we will- always- think the best of the time we spent here. It was a haven and a paradise, and I am immensely grateful for its role in my life.

To the administrators, moderators, unspeakables and users who became my friends and at time felt like my family, I love you all dearly and wish you all the very best of everything. This is the end of an era- but oh, it was such a great era that the nostalgia will be absolutely fantastic in the future.

- Aisling

THE DUCK.

Old March 30th, 2013, 2:14 am
Fifth Year

I am so sad! I have been coming online here for so long!
It's been a regular daily event to check the forums and follow the discussions and games.
I don't know what I'll do without this place!

Old March 30th, 2013, 2:20 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

I don't know what to say. This site has been my anchor for ages now. It's going to leave a huge gaping hole when it's gone.

Thank you, Morgoth, for keeping it open as long as you have.

Old March 30th, 2013, 2:50 am
Fourth Year

This is horrible news, but I understand why you're closing. I've met so many different people on this forum. People from all around the world, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet them.

This forum has been a constant in my life for a little over one and a half years. I'm truly going to miss it.

Old March 30th, 2013, 2:51 am
Secret Keeper

Well, all good things must come to an end, and I both thank and applaud Matt and all the mods and all of the posters for volunteering their time and making this place such an amazing and special place. I completely understand why you've made this decision, but thanks for holding off as long as you have.

I haven't had the time to be on in a while, with life being so hectic, but I will always love this place. It got me to explore my love of literature, begin graphic design, meet new people, learn about politics and international affairs, and learn more about me and the thoughts of others, and now I want to spend my life in the field of International Relations, and so much of it was because of this place. I love you all and wish you the best, and hope you know how much this place has truly meant to me and I know a lot of others as well .

!!!!!

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old March 30th, 2013, 3:30 am
First Year

I've only been on this sight for a couple of years, but I have learnt so much! It's sad that it's shutting down, but I understand completely.

I know that there is plenty of sites out there, but would anyone know where there's one kind of like this with all the Harry potter fan fiction? I do enjoy that part a lot and would hate to give it up.

Many thanks to all those people who have ran this site.

GRYFFINDOR, WHERE DWELL THE BRAVE AT HEART

Very proud supporter of STARKID

'When Life sucks, Just Dance! And since life nearly always sucks, Always Dance...' -Joe Walker, AVPSY
Old March 30th, 2013, 3:31 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I am at a loss for words, especially after reading VDuck's eloquent post. She summed up my feelings beautifully. CoS has been a huge part of my life over many years. It has truly been a community for me, a place where I felt welcomed and at ease. I have made so many friends here over the years who have been there for me in some of the darkest times of my life. I will miss this place. Thank you, Morgoth, for keeping it going all these years.

Old March 30th, 2013, 4:18 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I am at a loss for words, especially after reading VDuck's eloquent post. She summed up my feelings beautifully. CoS has been a huge part of my life over many years. It has truly been a community for me, a place where I felt welcomed and at ease. I have made so many friends here over the years who have been there for me in some of the darkest times of my life. I will miss this place. Thank you, Morgoth, for keeping it going all these years.
To let everyone who posts here know, I posted the link to CoS on Reddit tonight in r/harrypotter, because there are people there who know the site and love it as much as we do.

THE DUCK.

Old March 30th, 2013, 4:28 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I just came across the news on Facebook, and I'm deeply saddened that its come to this. I can't stop the tears even now. Potter has been such a big part of my life, and when I joined here back in 2005 I couldn't believe the vast fandom that Potter had gathered. This place has been my home and I've been saddened to see people come and go, but to not be able to come at all is a big blow to my heart. You guys here have kept me strong through personal sufferings and with the ending of an era with Harry, I can't thank you enough for what you have done for me and for the site. I hope to keep in contact wih a lot of you because quite frankly I can't bear to lose contact. All my love, and best wishes to everyone.

-Hana,

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....

Last edited by xhanax315; March 30th, 2013 at 4:31 am.
Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services