Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Admission to Hogsmeade

Old August 10th, 2008, 3:27 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: Comments on: Admission to Hogsmeade

In case of nazis, they indeed get excluded from the side. In others political views (or any other views) do nothing to your Hogsmeade access, as long as one discusses them politely. We don't judge about the opinions our members (might) have.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 8:00 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_d_b View Post
If, for instance, a person is very active in political discussions and have strong opinions, do you think "we won't choose that person, he/she will cause trouble?"
One can also post in the Quidditch Pitch and cause trouble. It doesn't matter where one does it, confrontational and aggressive posts reflect badly on one. This has nothing to do with the area or the thread it is posted in.

Old October 10th, 2008, 12:55 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
One can also post in the Quidditch Pitch and cause trouble. It doesn't matter where one does it, confrontational and aggressive posts reflect badly on one. This has nothing to do with the area or the thread it is posted in.
Ok. Well, it looks like I found the right thread!

So, I almost never post more than a paragraph per topic (per post), sometimes I even just have maybe two sentences and a smilie.

I really do try hard to contribute though, will this count against me?

Also, do you guys read EVERY SINGLE POST I've ever written, or just review the recent ones and use examples for references?

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old October 10th, 2008, 1:40 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
Ok. Well, it looks like I found the right thread!

So, I almost never post more than a paragraph per topic (per post), sometimes I even just have maybe two sentences and a smilie.

I really do try hard to contribute though, will this count against me?

Also, do you guys read EVERY SINGLE POST I've ever written, or just review the recent ones and use examples for references?
Most of your questions should be answered here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Official Admin Sponsor(s): Jessica, Morgoth

Hogsmeade FAQ

This thread is for members who are not yet in Hogsmeade to ask questions of the staff about admission to Hogsmeade.

Since no one but staff actually knows the answers to these questions, please leave it to staff to post the answers.

How to Get Into HogsmeadeThis is exclusively and definitively what you need to do to get into Hogsmeade.

1. The minimum requirements are 30 days as a member and over 300 posts in the qualifying areas (which conveniently matches the post count in your profile)
2. Your most recent posts should be of good quality. This means that each post is at least a couple of sentences. That your post contributes to the conversation being held in the thread. That you're using proper spelling and proper capitalization. That you're being polite to other members even when they disagree with you.

That's it. That's all we look for. If you've had warnings in the past or made shoddy posts in the past but you've moved past that and you're now a good, polite, warning free poster then you should be fine.
You have about 100 posts to go before you qualify. I hope that helps.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old October 10th, 2008, 1:50 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
Most of your questions should be answered here:

You have about 100 posts to go before you qualify. I hope that helps.
Um? I guess so... I looked at the FAQ page as well as the Review Guidelines, and neither answers my main question.

Do you (as staff) read and review every single post to make sure it qualifies, or do you just do a general look-over and use a few as example reference when judging for Hogsmeade access?

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old October 10th, 2008, 2:18 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
Do you (as staff) read and review every single post to make sure it qualifies, or do you just do a general look-over and use a few as example reference when judging for Hogsmeade access?
That's our little secret.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old October 10th, 2008, 3:45 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
That's our little secret.

You guys just LOVE your jobs, don't you??!

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old November 30th, 2008, 8:25 am
Second Year

The Halloween thread is not counted right? The one hosted by Molly Weasley and Severus Snape? Just checking....

Old November 30th, 2008, 8:43 am
Conquering Reading Lists

I dont think it is.

I made so many posts, just using smilies, pictures of food or dancing with Sirius one line comments- I doubt those do matter.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:00 am
Eldest Gruff

Yep, the posts made in Ministry of Magic area are not counting towards your post count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Since no one but staff actually knows the answers to these questions, please leave it to staff to post the answers.
Not to appear over stern (and no problem in this single case where the answer was wonderful anyway), but we had some misleading answers in the past in here, so decided to let them open for staff only in this particular WAS thread.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:04 am
Second Year

thought so... Thank you!

Old April 9th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Fifth Year

Looking through the FAQ, I'm still not clear on one thing: does one apply for Hogsmeade, or is just sort of automatic; once a user reaches the 300 post count, and said user's posts are deemed of a "good" and contributory nature, that they are automatically offered membership in Hogsmeade?

thanks

Old April 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

It's neither. Members are not expected to apply for it, and it is not automatical. When someone has reached the acquired number of qualifying posts the evaluation of said member begins. It may take a considerable time before the access to Hogsmeade is granted.

Old April 9th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Fifth Year

Right. By "automatic", I meant, it's not applied for, but that the staff will "automatically" consider the user, like I said, for qualifying posts deemed of a good and contributory nature. (and no serious warnings)
I didn't mean automatically grant access, per se, based on just post count.

So it's possible for someone to meet *all* the requirements and just never get the invite anyway?

Old April 9th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
It's neither. Members are not expected to apply for it, and it is not automatical. When someone has reached the acquired number of qualifying posts the evaluation of said member begins. It may take a considerable time before the access to Hogsmeade is granted.
I guess I am permanently disqualified, even if I clean up my act. I would really like an avatar, though.

Old April 9th, 2009, 6:49 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
Right. By "automatic", I meant, it's not applied for, but that the staff will "automatically" consider the user, like I said, for qualifying posts deemed of a good and contributory nature. (and no serious warnings)
I didn't mean automatically grant access, per se, based on just post count.

So it's possible for someone to meet *all* the requirements and just never get the invite anyway?
I've been wondering the same thing. Are the mods automatically notified when a user reaches 300, or are they just expected to notice? I am also confused about why it takes time after 300 posts.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old April 9th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
I've been wondering the same thing. Are the mods automatically notified when a user reaches 300, or are they just expected to notice? I am also confused about why it takes time after 300 posts.
It takes time more because of us than you. Sometimes we get caught up in contests or takeovers of the forums by fictional characters and fall behind a bit on Hogsmeade. So please don't take it personally, those pesky real live just get in the way on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker
I guess I am permanently disqualified, even if I clean up my act. I would really like an avatar, though.
No one is permanently disqualified. If you have current warning points, you're ineligible but once they're gone you will be considered. If someone has been a problem then we like to see 30 days of good behaviour before we admit you to Hogsmeade.

Old May 1st, 2009, 8:21 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

Does the fact that I have participated in many areas that does not have post counts and have won some of the competitions like fanfiction writing contest or Harry Potter Caption Contest extra, give me added bonus when the hogsmeade qualification is guaged?

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:36 pm
Knower of things

Every case is taken on an individual basis

Hogsmeade FAQs

From Jessica's initial post in this thread

How to Get Into HogsmeadeThis is exclusively and definitively what you need to do to get into Hogsmeade.

1. The minimum requirements are 30 days as a member and over 300 posts in the qualifying areas (which conveniently matches the post count in your profile)
2. Your most recent posts should be of good quality. This means that each post is at least a couple of sentences. That your post contributes to the conversation being held in the thread. That you're using proper spelling and proper capitalization. That you're being polite to other members even when they disagree with you.

That's it. That's all we look for. If you've had warnings in the past or made shoddy posts in the past but you've moved past that and you're now a good, polite, warning free poster then you should be fine.

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:34 pm
Second Year

Is speling and grammar realy important?
The rest i can do. Would that be enough?

Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services