Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old July 7th, 2010, 2:49 am
First Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

in order of the pheonix dobby was the one who showed him the room of requirement...but who was it in the movie? i forget but i know it was dobby. because making an animated elf tell him instead of a human being is too hard that they cant even get it right...

also in half blood prince they didnt have dobby and kreacher trail malfoy did they? i thoroughly enjoyed that part because it made dobby seem noble and not just a lesser being. i also like when they gain kreachers trust in deathly hallows. it makes me smile. if they dont have it i will be angry....

Old July 7th, 2010, 3:33 am
Registered Animagus

I agree i hate the a continuity problems from film to film. I know a lot of that exists because there are different directors and the book series hadn't been finished when the earlier films had been released.

The thing is that is one of the interesting things about the books. That they discuss the cabinet that the death eaters come through in HBP in an earlier book. That they show Harry hiding it and discuss throwing that quidditch player in it. The locket in OotP. Dobby popping in and at. Though i don't really think Dobby is all that important of a character, but is a connection.

Also the lack of continuity with the sets is sort of ridiculous at times.

Old July 7th, 2010, 3:40 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Does anybody have any reasonable explanation as for why they thought that the Room of Requirements had to be changed? It irks me that they felt the need to change it, as if the continuity between films wasn't hard enough to follow...

I guess that, as a book purist, all of my pet peeves follow the constant theme of pointless, unnecessary, and often detrimental changes from the books.
Well, the Room of Requirement does change in look and size according to the user's needs. Fred and George mentioned it becoming a broom closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elursoboh View Post
in order of the pheonix dobby was the one who showed him the room of requirement...but who was it in the movie? i forget but i know it was dobby. because making an animated elf tell him instead of a human being is too hard that they cant even get it right...
Neville was the one who did it. And it actually is harder since Dobby costs a lot to CGI, and it's way more work to put in the film.

Old July 7th, 2010, 3:42 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by elursoboh View Post
also in half blood prince they didnt have dobby and kreacher trail malfoy did they? i thoroughly enjoyed that part because it made dobby seem noble and not just a lesser being. i also like when they gain kreachers trust in deathly hallows. it makes me smile. if they dont have it i will be angry....
They kept him in Order of the Phoenix for the exact reason that Jo said they would probably regret it if they did.

Old July 7th, 2010, 3:52 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley9 View Post
Well, the Room of Requirement does change in look and size according to the user's needs. Fred and George mentioned it becoming a broom closet.

Neville was the one who did it. And it actually is harder since Dobby costs a lot to CGI, and it's way more work to put in the film.

well yeah i know it costs alot but it wouldve been nice if they got it right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
They kept him in Order of the Phoenix for the exact reason that Jo said they would probably regret it if they did.
idc if this makes me seem dumb but...that made no sense in my brain. care to elaborate?

Old July 7th, 2010, 5:07 am
Fourth Year

Jo told the creaters of OoTP to leave Kreacher in the movie because otherwise they will regret it. Which means he will be in DH and a pretty prominent role, im assuming. Had they taken him out of OoTP it would have been more work to introduce him, etc.

COS

Pottermore
Old July 7th, 2010, 5:50 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
That they show Harry hiding it
There is a deleted scene in the CoS movie where it shows Harry going into that Vanishing Cabinet when the Malfoys go into Borgin and Burkes. That whole scene is in the film's deleted scenes. Its also shown in ABC Family's versions of the movies. I know its a somewhat weak excuse but it is present in the films. Of course only the die hards would know of it. :/ Discontinuity is rather common in book-to-movie adaptions of a series. Atleast minor discontinuity. The only thing they REALLY needed to do in the film series was a bit more Dobby.

Also the whole Checkov's Gun trope Rowling pulls quite a bit of, is gonna be really hard to work with when spanning this many films with different directors. They are trying their best.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old July 7th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
There is a deleted scene in the CoS movie where it shows Harry going into that Vanishing Cabinet when the Malfoys go into Borgin and Burkes. That whole scene is in the film's deleted scenes. Its also shown in ABC Family's versions of the movies. I know its a somewhat weak excuse but it is present in the films. Of course only the die hards would know of it. :/ Discontinuity is rather common in book-to-movie adaptions of a series. Atleast minor discontinuity. The only thing they REALLY needed to do in the film series was a bit more Dobby.

Also the whole Checkov's Gun trope Rowling pulls quite a bit of, is gonna be really hard to work with when spanning this many films with different directors. They are trying their best.
I am aware that there is a deleted scene. I have seen it. The lack of continuity is that it is not the same cabinet and of course the scene is cut so i am not sure if it counts. It would have been more interesting though if it had been the same cabinet.

It isn't the lack of continuity between the books and the films that i dislike. It is the lack of continuity between one film and the next. I realize that a lot of it has to do with there being different directors, but it still annoys me.

Old July 7th, 2010, 5:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathurrr View Post
Jo told the creaters of OoTP to leave Kreacher in the movie because otherwise they will regret it. Which means he will be in DH and a pretty prominent role, im assuming. Had they taken him out of OoTP it would have been more work to introduce him, etc.
oh i get it. well thats good that theyre putting him into it. just wish they gave more credit to dobby.

Old February 27th, 2011, 12:39 pm
Seventh Year

Here is a big rant from me that i am sure many will disagree with

One problem with the movie adaptions of the books that i have always had is the changes in Ron's character. He is a lot more afraid in the movies than he is in the books and a lot of his good moments have been taken away or at least changed. I sometimes feel that the makers of the movies solely want Ron there so he can be the but of a lot of jokes. Here are just some examples where Ron has been made to look worse in the movies than he was in the books

- In PS Ron thought of using the Wingardium Leviosa on the troll all on his own but in the movie he required Hermione to remind him. Also in the scene Hermione panicked quite badly (which is understandable) but this was not shown in the movie.

- In PS both Harry and Ron got stuck in the Devil's Snare but neither panicked as Hermione figured out how to free them. In the movie it was only Ron who got stuck in the Devil's Snare and Ron panicked a lot.

- In COS (possibly PoA but i can't remember exactly) Ron yells at Snape for insulting Hermione but in the movie Ron says something like "He's got a point".

- In CoS in the Aragog scene in the book while Ron is terrified he still goes into the forest and doesn't complain about it either. In the movie Ron spends most of the time complaining in a very high pitched voice that he wanted to go back. In the book Ron didn't say anything like that as he wanted to help Hermione and was willing to face his greatest fear in order to do that.

- After the Shrieking Shack in the movie Ron spends several minutes going on about how his leg is going to have to be removed but in the book Ron didn't complain about his broken leg.

- In PoA the Shrieking Shack scene was completely destroyed. In the book even with a broken leg Ron stood up and says "If you want to kill Harry you'll have to kill us too" and in the same scene he fought with Sirius (with a broken leg) and stunned Snape as well. It really was a brave scene for Ron. In the movie however Ron spends the entire scene in the corner seemingly too scared to even move. The writers even gave Ron's best line to Hermione.

- In OotP (movie) Ron's entire Quidditch story is cut (including him winning the cup).

- In OotP (movie) Ron is again used as joke when he tells Hermione that he will go easy on her and then she beats him in a duel.

- In OotP the Grawp scene showed Ron (who wasn't even in the scene) showing his scared face for almost the entire scene while Hermione was shown as reasonably confident after she told Grawp "NO". In the book Hermione was scared for the entire scene and not for one second did she relax around Grawp.

- In HBP (movie) Ron almost seems uninterested when Hermione asks him to Slughorn's party but in the books even though he tried to hide it even Harry could tell Ron was excited.

- In HBP (movie) Ron seems to actually want Hermione to date McLaggen as he tells Hermione that McLaggen fancies her.

- In HBP (movie) they cut the scene with Ginny so from a movie perspective it looks like Ron just started snogging Lavender for absolutely no reason.

- In HBP (movie) at the end when Hermione tells Harry that she and Ron will go with him in search of the horcruxes for some reason Ron is sitting far away while Harry and Hermione have a moment together.

Last edited by GingerCat1; February 27th, 2011 at 2:22 pm.
Old February 27th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
- In HBP (movie) Ron seems to actually want Hermione to date McLaggen as he tells Hermione that McLaggen fancies her.
In this scene, I feel like it's pretty obvious he's telling her this to see what kind of reaction he gets out of her. Testing the waters, seeing if she shows any interest in McLaggan.

-
Quote:
In HBP (movie) they cut the scene with Ginny so from a movie perspective it looks like Ron just started snogging Lavender for absolutely no reason.
Well, he's a teenage boy, and a girl is showing interest in him. It's not so far fetched to think he might want to kiss her! I don't think it's odd or out of place at all.

Quote:
- In HBP (movie) at the end when Hermione tells Harry that she and Ron will go with him in search of the horocruxes for some reason Ron is sitting far away while Harry and Hermione have a moment together.
Agreed--this is just plain weird. I'm always wondering if Ron can even hear what they are saying!

Old February 27th, 2011, 3:06 pm
Third Year

GingerCat, I actually do agree with you here. I really hate how they take away a lot from Ron and change his character traits in a way. Yes, he plays the comic relief often in the books, but by no means is he weak or a coward.

Quote:
- In OotP (movie) Ron's entire Quidditch story is cut (including him winning the cup).
I can understand why they cut Quidditch, but I was looking forward to hearing "Weasley Is Our King!"

Quote:
- In HBP (movie) they cut the scene with Ginny so from a movie perspective it looks like Ron just started snogging Lavender for absolutely no reason.
My only quip with this scene is that non-readers may wonder why Lavender. Sure, she says "hi" to him from the beginning of the movie, but without Ginny's scene it seems weird that he would start snogging Lavender when it's clear that he has a crush on Hermione.

Quote:
-In HBP (movie) at the end when Hermione tells Harry that she and Ron will go with him in search of the horocruxes for some reason Ron is sitting far away while Harry and Hermione have a moment together.
Probably my biggest pet peeve of HBP. They way it stands, it seems like Ron is not going on their journey to hunt horcruxes or something. It's been the trio from SS/PS and that's the way it should end. This doesn't sit well with me at all!

One of my biggest movie pet peeves is PoA. Just the whole movie. They completely left out the Marauder's story, which is one of my favorites in the series! They made Sirius seem like a maniac and the Shrieking Shack scene was waaaaaaaay too rushed and didn't feel clear to me. I could go on and on, but I'll spare all of you of my antics

Hufflepuff Pride
Old February 27th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Second Year

i just looked at the first ever post on this topic and it dates back to 2005!!!

how time flies eh?

anyway, pet peeves...

i don't really have any per se, apart from in some areas he acting's a bit dodgy with the trio. but then, i can't really argue about that cos they were kids at the time and were still finding their feet. dan, emma and rupert were fantastic in DH1 and have been ever since the 5th film.

i hated that dumbledore changed to being irish. to me, as a kid that just felt really wrong, as in one film you had an english dumbedore, and then the next he's speaking with an irish accent. basic continuity error or what?

i didn't like how hermione and ron were more or less shoved to the side in films 5 and 6. it was all about harry - harry this, harry that - and yes, i know that the books are written from harry's pov nd that harry's the most important character, but in the books his friends always played a more prominent part than theu do in the films.

i really didn't like how lucius tried to kill harry in COS. i mean, come on, he was in hogwarts, he was bound to get caught!!

wasn't a fan about ron's depiction of ron in POA. i don't think alfonso did his research properly. ron acted like such a coward in that film, whimpering when harry was pretending to be a ghost, shrieking when sirius bit his leg.
just becasue ron is not as reckless as harry, that doesn't make him weak.

and i didn't like how ron was all but forgotten in the HBP ending in the astronomy tower. it's supposed to be 'the trio', not 'harry and hermione'.

Until the very end.
Old February 28th, 2011, 7:49 pm
First Year

for me it was the script, I want the person saying something in the book to say it in the movie, also placement of certain people doing things that others are doing in the books, not good in my book. They also make a lot of assumsions about how people find out about things, this distracts from the movies as well. I will look forward to gettting the extended dvds to see if they put things back in where they belong.

Old February 28th, 2011, 9:22 pm
Third Year

When Harry is in the hospital wing in PoA after the Quidditch match where he falls off his broom, Fred or George say that Harry fell "over 100 feet". He falls way more than 100 feet! (also I didn't know people measured height in feet in Britain)

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:11 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
When Harry is in the hospital wing in PoA after the Quidditch match where he falls off his broom, Fred or George say that Harry fell "over 100 feet". He falls way more than 100 feet! (also I didn't know people measured height in feet in Britain)
People measure heights in feet everywhere. Never have I heard anyone say "he fell over 100 meters!" unless they're speaking mathematically.

I think that while the metric system is the new, "scientific" way of measurement, people still tend to use the imperial system because people are more familiar with it.

One thing that's always confused me is why it's so bright in the hospital wing even though it's the dead of night, right before Harry and Hermione's time traveling excursion.

Old February 28th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
People measure heights in feet everywhere. Never have I heard anyone say "he fell over 100 meters!" unless they're speaking mathematically.

I think that while the metric system is the new, "scientific" way of measurement, people still tend to use the imperial system because people are more familiar with it.

One thing that's always confused me is why it's so bright in the hospital wing even though it's the dead of night, right before Harry and Hermione's time traveling excursion.
On that note, Harry and Hermione get down the tower super fast! (then again this is super fast Hermione from PS who makes it all the way to Snape at the Quidditch match in record time)

Thanks for the metric clarification. You'd think having lived outside of the U.S for a while I'd know that.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorey1 View Post
i hated that dumbledore changed to being irish. to me, as a kid that just felt really wrong, as in one film you had an english dumbedore, and then the next he's speaking with an irish accent. basic continuity error or what?
Richard Harris is Irish. Not English.

Old March 14th, 2011, 3:58 pm
First Year

I agree with you Magicath, that scene where Dan was crying about Sirius, I am sorry to say, made me cringe.
Also, it really annoys me that throughout the series Neville seems to have taken Dobby's place, he gives Harry the gillyweed and he shows Harry the room of requirement, after CoS they basically forget about poor Dobby! (Apart from DH part 1).
And there is nothing at all about Kreacher betraying Sirius which is a main part of the film!!!
In the first few films the trio arn't that good at acting and Emma is really too pretty to be Hermione (who is supposed to be buck-toothed and bushy haired)

Old March 14th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Second Year

It always bothered me that Dobby disappeared after COS. There was no reason to trash him and what Neville does in his place does nothing to develop Neville's character. It's lame.

I guess that in Hollywood, they treat house elves just as badly as they do in the wizarding world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
In this scene, I feel like it's pretty obvious he's telling her this to see what kind of reaction he gets out of her. Testing the waters, seeing if she shows any interest in McLaggan.

-
Well, he's a teenage boy, and a girl is showing interest in him. It's not so far fetched to think he might want to kiss her! I don't think it's odd or out of place at all.

Agreed--this is just plain weird. I'm always wondering if Ron can even hear what they are saying!
oh please. they're all three of them alone on the astronomy tower. rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
My only quip with this scene is that non-readers may wonder why Lavender. Sure, she says "hi" to him from the beginning of the movie, but without Ginny's scene it seems weird that he would start snogging Lavender when it's clear that he has a crush on Hermione.
boys do stupid things all the time.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies