Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old July 1st, 2012, 6:21 am
Second Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

This is more an annoyance than a peeve but in DH2 when Harry asks Hermione for a flask for Snapes' tears, she rummages round in the bag instead of saying 'accio flask'. It does echo Harry when he was looking for the Dittany in DH1 but it seems out of character for efficient Hermione even with the raging battle.

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:08 pm
First Year

Hm, perhaps some of the unnecessary added humor. HBP was not, in my opinion, a very funny book, yet the film has the most gags and silly scenes. Don't get me wrong, I do love a good laugh and HP is good for that in some aspects but when you think of what serious, plot-forwarding, intense scenes could have been in a funny part's PLACE...

Basically most of my peeves come from HBP now that I think about it...the casting of young Tom Riddle in that film will never cease to annoy me. Could they have picked a more "LOOK I'M OBVIOUSLY EVIL AND CREEPY" kid? COS got Tom Riddle right, in my opinion and though they needed a new actor to fit the age group they could have picked someone more in that vein.

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting,
for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

Pottermore: OakPhoenix68

Old July 4th, 2012, 9:16 am
Second Year

I always hated how they made the werewolf look in POA... It's supposed to look like an actual wolf, not some mutant, bald, slimy-looking alien thing that walks on its hind legs...

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff
Old July 4th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheka View Post
This is more an annoyance than a peeve but in DH2 when Harry asks Hermione for a flask for Snapes' tears, she rummages round in the bag instead of saying 'accio flask'. It does echo Harry when he was looking for the Dittany in DH1 but it seems out of character for efficient Hermione even with the raging battle.
In the book she conjured a vial! They did seem to minimize the use of magic in DH2; i.e., when they got out of the lake after the dragon escape.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:54 pm
Third Year

I didn't like how they potrayed Snape's Worst Memory in OotP. I was hoping it would be a lengthier scene.

Old October 7th, 2012, 10:30 pm
First Year

I think the movies are great (but they're obviously not as good as the books)

I didn't like how they some scenes are completely different from the books- take Harry and Ginny's kissing scene.

Another thing that really got me (and not in a good way) was Snape's tale, and the pensieve all together. I also didn't like when Harry looked into Voldemort's mind either.

The muggle clothes at hogwarts. What's the point of having a school uniform if you don't where it?

To be honest I didn't really like Daniel Radcliffe. He was very good as a child, but in my eyes, he didn't really "grow with the character" like he should have. He was probably my least favorite casting in the movies.

Most of the castings were really good, though. Personally, there were some scenes in the movie that made me more understanding of the books: In deathly hallows part 2, Alan Rickman's speech and the shield were really quite impressive.

Let's be friends on Pottermore:
DragonMoonstone16649

Last edited by BrightestWitch; October 7th, 2012 at 10:36 pm.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:39 pm
First Year

My pet peeves:

Harry's summers with the Dursleys not explained. I had to tell people who did not read the books why he couldn't just move in with the Weasleys.

The prophesy not properly explained. They never say why Voldemort wanted it so bad (how he only heard a bit of it from Snape), or how Neville could have been placed in Harry's position.

Dumbledore's past not fully revealed. They build it up and then leave it unattended, making those who have read the book fill in for those who haven't.

Dudley's redemption being omitted (also, Percy, Kreacher and Grindelwald's). I thought it was an important part in the Harry Potter series to show that people can change for the better.

The Burrow being burned in the Half-Blood Prince. It was not in the book, so I didn't see the point, and it wasn't a minor deviation from the book (like Peeves being omitted); the Weasley's house burnt down!

The memories of Tom Riddle being omitted. Personally, I thought that was the whole point of the Half-Blood Prince, educating Harry and preparing him to confront Voldemort by giving him knowledge of why Voldemort was the way he was.

Voldemort feeling his Horcruxes being destroyed. As explained in the books, Voldemort became less human in his attempts to become immortal, and therefore coiuld not feel certain emotions as normal humans could feel.

Voldemort not being defeated in front of everyone. No one seemed bothered to know if and how he had been defeated.

Harry stealing Neville's moment in DH2, and then running away, causing Voldemort to chase him throughout the castle. I felt like it was some weird episode of Tom and Jerry (lol).

Harry not repairing his wand with the Elder Wand. Harry loved his wand.

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:29 am
Third Year

The first 2 movies were all right but then again there wasn't much they could have butchered in those movies anyway.

PoA - Completely spoiled the animagus and Marauders explanation. That was perhaps the most important part of the book and they screwed that up. And of course Hermione being given the Ron's line in the shrieking shack was ridiculous.

GoF - They skip out most of the last part of the book after Voldemort comes alive and that part essentially laid the groundwork for the next book. They don't show Barty Crouch Jr being kissed by the dementor so if you haven't read the books you're probably wondering what on earth happened to him. Another thing they could've included (not necessary though) was Dumbledore sending Snape to Voldemort and Sirius coming to his office.

OoTP - To be honest this is my least favourite book an the movies were all right. The only complaints would be that Sirius's character does not really come out in the way it does in the books and the Prophecy is not explained properly.

HBP - This probably is the worst movie of the lot. While reading the book for the first time I really looked forward to Harry's next session with Dumbledore because that was the best part and the major part of the book. The directors completely destroyed the memories. In my opinion not one of the memories should've been skipped because without it Harry has no clue what the horcruxes are. The whole Ron-Hermione-Lavender thing was butchered as well. I also thought that the 'hiding the HBP book' scene was done badly and got converted into a romantic scene. Finally I thought they could've shown a bit of the battle inside Hogwarts as well. oh and the Burrow being burnt down served no real purpose as far as I could see.

DH1 - This wasn't that bad actually except for the Dance which makes no sense. What exactly did they hope to achieve with the dance? Harry knows they both like each other, and even if he did like Hermione (which he most definitely doesn't) he would've stepped aside for Ron. Hermione clearly likes Ron and that fact is clearer in the movies than in the books. So Yates explanation of wanting to create a will he won't he scenario makes no sense. Completely out of character for both Harry and Hermione. Also Hermione doesn't look she had been tortured after that scene with Bellatrix. She seems to walk around quite normally, quite unlike someone who had just gone through the Cruciatus curse.

DH2 - One of the things that really disappointed me in this film was that Fred's death was off screen. We are not talking about any character here but of one of the most loved characters in the book and seeing as he died on page in the book it's unforgivable. One of the saddest scenes in the entire series imo is when Percy tries to protect Fred's dead body and his (and Ron's) reaction immediately afterwards. I don't mind admitting it but I was actually sobbing while I read that part of the book. I don't they even mentioned Percy's estrangement with the family in any of the books. The final battle scene between Harry and Voldemort was cringeworthy and very very cheesy. Harry breaking the elder wand was puzzling a well.

Another thing that annoyed me a lot watching the movies was Hermione's characterization. She is portrayed as a sort of flawless person who knows everything there is to know. In the books JKR brings out her flaws as well but that's not at all done in the movies. The way she gets so many lines from different characters is annoying

Hermione explaining what a mudblood is when in the books she dosen't know what it means.

Hermione explaining what a parselmouth is when it's Ron who does that in the books

Hermione introducing Luna in OoTP (as Loony initially) when it's Ginny who does that in the book.

It's Harry's idea to climb the dragons in DH but again it's Hermione who suggests that in the movies.

There might be other cases but these are the ones of the top of my head.

Last edited by HRW; October 27th, 2012 at 11:17 am.
Old October 28th, 2012, 8:41 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
Another thing that annoyed me a lot watching the movies was Hermione's characterization. She is portrayed as a sort of flawless person who knows everything there is to know. In the books JKR brings out her flaws as well but that's not at all done in the movies. The way she gets so many lines from different characters is annoying

Hermione explaining what a mudblood is when in the books she dosen't know what it means.

Hermione explaining what a parselmouth is when it's Ron who does that in the books

Hermione introducing Luna in OoTP (as Loony initially) when it's Ginny who does that in the book.

It's Harry's idea to climb the dragons in DH but again it's Hermione who suggests that in the movies.

There might be other cases but these are the ones of the top of my head.
I agree. Hermione was a know-it-all, but she didn't know everything. Her knowing Luna didn't make sense as Luna was a year below, so they wouldn't have had any classes together. This could have been screen time given to Ginny, who seriously needed more in the films. I was really surprised Hermione didn't know how to destroy Horcruxes in the Deathly Hallows films. She actually did know in the book.

Old October 28th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbusLongbottom View Post
I agree. Hermione was a know-it-all, but she didn't know everything. Her knowing Luna didn't make sense as Luna was a year below, so they wouldn't have had any classes together. This could have been screen time given to Ginny, who seriously needed more in the films. I was really surprised Hermione didn't know how to destroy Horcruxes in the Deathly Hallows films. She actually did know in the book.
When I read the essay on Mugglenet by HPBoy about how Warner Bros just didn't do a good job on the films, I agreed with every word he said. I should have posted on the site saying how much I agreed but I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. I really like his essays, I loved the one about Snape, I agreed with that one as well.
The Academia broadcasts are really good.

Old October 30th, 2012, 8:13 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
That bothers me immensely as well. Hermione had some flaws in the books, in the movies, she was one complete MarySue. Part of this was, as you mention, giving her lines from other characters even things she had no way of knowing, and when the actual character was right there in the scene, too. One of the most annoying of all is giving her Ron's line from PoA "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill all of us". Where the movie turned Ron into a blithering idiot in that scene. The destruction of the trio is one thing that I really hate about the movies. I absolutely love the interactions between the trio in the books. They really are a unit. However, in the movies, it's clearly a Harry-Hermione team with Ron tagging along. (Makes me love the scene JKR put in the DH book with the locket spewing forth a load of stuff that seems to fit movie-Ron, not book-Ron. And it's a nice dig at all the Ron-bashing which comes from the movies.)

To be honest, I felt that characterisation was a big problem with the movies.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:04 am
First Year

This has probably already been said but my biggest gripe witht the movies is the lack of information in movies after the first 2, espeacially in the endings . I didnt start reading the books until after I saw POA and that was because my brother was trying to explain things that were not explained in the movie. I think coming out of PS and COS you know everything you need to know but when you get to POA there is a lot of stuff you dont like who are the marauders which leads to more info about the map, snape and so on. Although the movie is a bit of a fan favourite it one of my least liked of the series I would of much preferred less shots of the whomping willow and more info, saying that I still watch it from time to time as I love Harry and Lupins time together.

Onto GOF which I think does a reasonable job of conveying most of the info but still misses some parts which set up the rest of the series, there was some info left out of the graveyard scene but I felt it was still ok but the part with barty jr and dumbledore as well as the hospital wing with sirius and snape and sending hagrid off on his mission which I love from the book were omitted.

OOTP not much to say here as they did a good job considering it may have been the hardest to make with the size of the book, BUT THE ENDING!!!!! The amounts of times that I have read the ending of that book with Harry and Dumbledore in his office getting "everthing" explained and Harry's emotions exploding with Sirius's death to then the movie just have nothing, I couldn't believe it. Also mention of the Patronuses to set up for snapes in DH2 would have ben nice.

HBP it was always going to be hard with going back looking at the memories with pacing and everything but would it really have hurt to show the gaunts memory to show where Voldemort came from??? Also the part at the end with Harry calling Snape a coward and his resonse to that was great in the book but left out and then their is the funeral no show which I think could have really been an emotional scene for everyone and set the tone and consequences of what had happened and what was needed after.

DH1 I dont have much to say here overall I think it did what it needed to do but i really think they needed to have wormtail die and explain in a bit more detail about how ron got back and as I noted above include info about patronuses, and maybe some more relisations about the hallows like harry owning the cloak and son on to set up for part 2.

DH2 they were always going to make it epic which in my book was fine but they needed to have a bit more dialogue with Dumbledore in Kings Cross as well as more dialogue with Voldemort at the end in the duel, as much as I like how the final duel in the book is in the great hall with everyone watching that didnt bother me as much as not having all the back and forth between Harry and Voldemort. I also really with they had Harry fix his wand at the end, I dont care that he broke the elder wand but he could have fixed his first, it speaks to his character.

There we go apologise if this has been said before but I felt like expressing my opinion on the topic.

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:14 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
That bothers me immensely as well. Hermione had some flaws in the books, in the movies, she was one complete MarySue. Part of this was, as you mention, giving her lines from other characters even things she had no way of knowing, and when the actual character was right there in the scene, too. One of the most annoying of all is giving her Ron's line from PoA "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill all of us". Where the movie turned Ron into a blithering idiot in that scene. The destruction of the trio is one thing that I really hate about the movies. I absolutely love the interactions between the trio in the books. They really are a unit. However, in the movies, it's clearly a Harry-Hermione team with Ron tagging along. (Makes me love the scene JKR put in the DH book with the locket spewing forth a load of stuff that seems to fit movie-Ron, not book-Ron. And it's a nice dig at all the Ron-bashing which comes from the movies.)

To be honest, I felt that characterization was a big problem with the movies.
Exactly. Hermione's characterization as the perfect character in turn affected the other two of the trio. Calling Ron even a sidekick is probably a overstatement as far as the movies are concerned because not only Hermione but even Harry is given some of his better moments (eg- the Felix Felicis idea). Then you have the fact that if you haven't actually read the book you'd think Ron practically cheated on Hermione in HBP. Even Harry is often showcased as ridiculously dumb in certain cases. In the books Harry figures out himself that he must talk to the ghost of Ravenclaw but in the movies it's Luna who helps him out. Now personally I don't mind it too much as Luna is one of my favourite characters but it does make Harry a lot more dimwitted than he actually is in the books.

It's not just Hermione though. Alan Rickman plays Snape perfectly a lot of the times but there are times I felt he was too soft. Michael Gambon was completely the opposite and was a bit too rough in his work as Dumbledore.

P.S I know it's a pet peeves thread but one thing I did love about DH2 was the scene between Harry and Helena Ravenclaw. Really intense from the actress who played her.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies