Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old July 17th, 2011, 3:58 pm
Heelz2315  Undisclosed.gif Heelz2315 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2592 days
Posts: 1
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Newbie here...

Several things irked me alot.

A-Not exploring anything about the Dumbledore Family
B-Hardly any mention of the Hallows
C-King's cross being changed some and shortened (I thought)
D-The Prince's Tale being shortened (alot was left out between Lilly/Snape growing up)

I can live with most of that however far and away the biggest thing that bothered me was the way Voldemort died. He just tured to ash and flew apart! I mean, really? What was up w.that?

Why was that changed......that bordered on ruining the entire ending for me. Why did they change it? Anyone know why that was changed?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #82  
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:12 pm
Myrmedus  Male.gif Myrmedus is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3323 days
Posts: 104
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

On the topic of noone witnessing Voldemort's death I have to agree actually, it would've been SO easy to make it happen. Let's say they wanted the duel to happen in the courtyard rather than in the Great Hall, that's absolutely fine: they could've made the rest of the two forces fight there instead of in the Hall and when Harry and Voldemort come tumbling down everyone could've stopped to look around at what it was, seen Harry and Voldemort and watched like in the book. Very very easy to keep that in the movie while changing the location of the duel.

The one positive thing of Voldemort's death is Fiennes' expressions though, was really good acting on his part without a word said.

And on Kings' Cross I definitely think the scene could and should have been longer. The pace of the film had been so ferocious up to that point that a longer scene would've been fine, people wouldn't have become bored (which I reckon was probably the director and screenwriters' main worry) and I think that the movies actually needed some additional dialogue here compared to the book, not less, due to how little was explained in OotP and HBP. I don't mind the lack of the explanation about Harry and Voldemort's blood-tie keeping him alive - I think the movie hinted that essentially Voldemort's soul fragment acted as a barrier - but it should've gone into depth over the Hallows, over Dumbledore and the prophecy. I went with my Mum to watch it and she still didn't know why Voldemort was so desperate to kill Harry.

Haha, I also love the way so many people have been using the word "irk", as if they're unconsciously remembering what Voldemort says to Harry at the end of OotP.



Last edited by Myrmedus; July 17th, 2011 at 4:19 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:20 pm
Carne  Male.gif Carne is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 2938 days
Location: Norway
Posts: 360
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

1. The nice buildup to the battle, but then it just fell completely flat. We got like 2 minutes of actual chaos, while the rest was just the trio and Neville. Where was all the other duels? Where was Hagrid throwing Death Eaters? Why was so much cut?

Someone mentioned Fred and George nodding at Percy in some video, could I have a link to that?


Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:27 pm
salazarssister  Undisclosed.gif salazarssister is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2657 days
Posts: 86
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I must say I am very satisfied with the final film and although there were little things and sub-plots missing the film captured the story and plot of the book well along with the emotions - I have never felt so happy, sad, excited, scared, disgusted ("baby" voldemort) and satisfied with a movie in my life! However...

The Dumbledore story should have been in the movie more because I felt as if anyone who hadn't read the books would have left the cinema feeling as if Dumbledore was actually quite a cruel character which he wasn't.

The Princes Tale was done beautifully but it didn't capture some of the important points from the novel. There was nothing (or very little) to show that Snape and Lily were actually friends. And nothing which showed that Lily and James didn't actually get on initially.

I loved the Kings Cross scene, however I felt as if it missed out a lot of information which we were provided with in the novel such as the information about Voldemort having Harry's blood and Lily sacrifice etc.

That was really all that bothered me.


__________________
Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:36 pm
LilyEvans13060  Female.gif LilyEvans13060 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4028 days
Location: Dumbledores Office
Posts: 60
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
I didn't like the "Voldy knows when his Horcruxes die" thing. Also didn't like the "Harry can hear the Horcruxes when he gets near them" but could kind of live with that one. But Voldemort feeling/knowing/getting weaker when they were destroyed seemed like a big canon-breaker to me. And besides, who wants a battle at the climax of a huge series of movies where the hero is fighting a villian who is a fraction of his strongest self? The book version (Jo is brilliant) of this plotline kept Harry from fighting a seriously weakened Voldemort at the end.
Yes. I was very annoyed that Voldemort was in pain every time a Horcrux was destroyed. In HP reality, he couldn't feel the destruction of his Horcruxes because his soul was already so maimed. This is a conversation between Dumbledore and Harry.

And Harry being able to talk to the Horcruxes to find their location, again takes away from Harry as a leader and a hero. He instead just becomes a lucky kid. I understand why they did it, especially because of the flop over the Potions book in HBP, but still... it takes away from Harry's character.


Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:55 pm
Myrmedus  Male.gif Myrmedus is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3323 days
Posts: 104
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvans13060 View Post
Yes. I was very annoyed that Voldemort was in pain every time a Horcrux was destroyed. In HP reality, he couldn't feel the destruction of his Horcruxes because his soul was already so maimed. This is a conversation between Dumbledore and Harry.
I think it's fine actually because it's inconsistent in the book. There's no symptoms for Voldemort when his horcruxes are destroyed yet he collapses when he destroys the horcrux in Harry. What?

Quote:
And Harry being able to talk to the Horcruxes to find their location, again takes away from Harry as a leader and a hero. He instead just becomes a lucky kid. I understand why they did it, especially because of the flop over the Potions book in HBP, but still... it takes away from Harry's character.
While I understand your point I also think this added a positive to the movie aswell: it made the connection feel even more important - not only did it allow Harry to see into Voldemort's mind but allowed him to track the horcruxes.


Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old July 17th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Bucc  Male.gif Bucc is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2961 days
Location: Colorado
Posts: 226
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
The film was so disjointed that it barely made any sense to me and i have read the book many times. People kept just appearing places. Hagrid in the forest. Luna in the room of requirements. Percy in the great hall. Also they failed in explaining what was happen in most scenes and what they were trying to do.
Well, based on your great works and the many discussions, we did conclude that it was going to be a frantic, hyperkinetic movie. Perfect for the summer crowd.

Many thing that should have been left out were (blood, DD's story) and what they did include would go by in flash. To many moviegoers, DH1 dragged but that wasn't going to be acceptable this time around.


Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old July 17th, 2011, 5:48 pm
Albus7Potter  Male.gif Albus7Potter is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2599 days
Location: Mexico
Posts: 3
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Yes The Movie Was Absolutly Brilliant But There Were Parts That Kinda Like Killed It ...

1 Begining Was Rushed .. They Wanted The Whole Film To Focus On The Battle ... They Rushed Throu The Gringotts Break In

2.Hogsmade Was Like *** , No Dementors No Death Eaters Summoning The Cloak

3. Snape -McGonagal Battle Was Rushed ... No Flitwick ..

4. To Much Comedy Breaks ... Like It Didnt Show The Tension Of The Last Battle

5.When Neville Killed Nagini ... Voldemort Was Suppoesed To See .. Like *** ...

6.Voldemort -Draco Hug Like *** I Was Smh ...

7. They Didnt Show Voldemort Dueling Kingsley,McGonagal,Slughorn..

8. Bellatrix Didnt Fight Ginny,Luna and Hermione ,, Molly Killed Her To Quickly ..

9. Nobody Saw Voldemort And Harry Going At It I Mean 8 Films Leading To That And Nobody Saw It I Was Like *** ..


__________________
Do Not Pity The Dead Harry Pity The Living And Those Who Live With Out Love
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old July 17th, 2011, 6:51 pm
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 3655 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya_ View Post
Overall I really enjoyed this film, but there were little things that bothered me.

1: James in Snape's memories having a red hair and no glasses.
2: the Death Eaters group laughing was so forced
3: the Dumbledore/ Alberforth / Ariana story not being fully explored.
4: the aftermath of Voldemort's demise the scene sort of fizzled out. I think this would've been better handled if everyone had witnessed Harry defeat Voldemort once and for all and celebrated!
5: the quickness of Harry discovering Remus and Tonks body on the ground.

FINALLY

7: Harry destroying the Elder Wand without even repairing his own!
1 is unimportant to the story and 3 would be a waste of screen time to delve into as none of it was explored in detail in Part 1. As for 4, the way it's handled fits the film series better because they share that connection alone, and this is shown quite a bit in the series, especially in Yates' stuff. I really don't know why 5 bothers you.



Last edited by NumberEight; July 17th, 2011 at 7:07 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old July 17th, 2011, 7:03 pm
phoenix88's Avatar
phoenix88  Female.gif phoenix88 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4016 days
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,416
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Holeyness View Post
There's a brief shot on the TV ad of someone riding a broom during the battle and calling people to fly with him. I didn't know who it was, but it could very well have been Wood. That scene wasn't in the film.
I would have loved for them to include that. I was looking for that too. Honestly I thought the scenes in the preview were the best ones and kind of spoiled the battle for me because I expected there to be even more than what was in the trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc View Post
Well, based on your great works and the many discussions, we did conclude that it was going to be a frantic, hyperkinetic movie. Perfect for the summer crowd.

Many thing that should have been left out were (blood, DD's story) and what they did include would go by in flash. To many moviegoers, DH1 dragged but that wasn't going to be acceptable this time around.
I know many non book fans complained about the slow pace pf pt 1 but that was honestly the most satisfying Yates film for me because it gave amp,e time for character development and exposition. I just felt with pt 2 was all over the place. I think you are right though. They were probably trying to appeal to the non book fans this time around but still giving the book fans a bone here and there just so we wouldn't feel too shortchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne View Post
1. The nice buildup to the battle, but then it just fell completely flat. We got like 2 minutes of actual chaos, while the rest was just the trio and Neville. Where was all the other duels? Where was Hagrid throwing Death Eaters? Why was so much cut?

Someone mentioned Fred and George nodding at Percy in some video, could I have a link to that?
I have no idea why they cut so much out. Great buildup but in agree, the battle itself was lacking from what was decried in the book which makes no sense because would have been sic a great cinematic opportunity.


Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old July 17th, 2011, 7:18 pm
xhanax315's Avatar
xhanax315  Undisclosed.gif xhanax315 is offline
Mrs Gilbert Grape
 
Joined: 4788 days
Location: Surrounded by traitors...
Age: 28
Posts: 2,991
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

The only two major things that come to mind, is Harry destroying the Elder wand and flinging it off the cliff. The other was how Voldemort and Bellatrix dissipated into thin air. All the others were minor things thay can be over looked. There should've been more on Dumbledore's family, but alas, it is what it is.


__________________

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old July 17th, 2011, 7:22 pm
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 3655 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I think Harry destroying the Elder Wand has more finality; how will it be repaired so it can be used?


Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old July 17th, 2011, 7:24 pm
Potion  Male.gif Potion is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2606 days
Location: The Forest of Dean
Age: 23
Posts: 111
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I loved the movie, although I didn't like the following:

- I didn't like the fact that Voldemort died in the courtyard without anyone watching.
- The fact that people blocked the killing curse everywhere just disturbed me.
- That the younger Snape, who was supposed to be around 11 in The Prince's Tale looked older than Harry does in Prisoner of Azkaban. (I understand that it gets better if they do look older, though)
- Why didn't Severus turn into a bat instead of the common black smoke, which any Death Eater can turn into?
- The whole Epilogue was pretty comical, I didn't expect much, but still.
- Voldemort's twitchy laugh and his awkward hug right after Harry is supposed to be dead. It made a lot of people laugh, it was as though they tried to make a dramatic moment cheerful.


__________________
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

MidnightQuill
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old July 17th, 2011, 8:29 pm
lupinfan882  Female.gif lupinfan882 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2734 days
Location: Virginia
Posts: 86
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterSpell View Post
Not mentioning Tonks was pregnant: what was the point of Moody interrupting her in the first movie? How did Harry even know they had a baby? Did the baby even need to be mentioned?
Exactly. How did Harry even find out about Teddy?


__________________
house unity!

Opposites Attract and its feedback
The Great Hall Sleepover Disaster
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old July 17th, 2011, 8:30 pm
notquitesquib  Male.gif notquitesquib is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2593 days
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I agree, the book duel was MUCH better than movie.

I was bothered mainly by Ron and Hermione allowing Harry to go to the Forest alone. This, I felt was opposite the persistent: 'Harry were going with you' theme.

Also the movie didn't give viewers the perception Snape, was in the end, trying to help Harry. In the book he repeatedly asked Voldemort permission to 'find the boy', which would have allowed Snape to convey Dumbledore's message which Harry eventually receives in the Pensieve.

Those were my main 2 dislikes, but I did enjoy the movie more than any since maybe...PoA. (my fav)


Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old July 17th, 2011, 8:33 pm
PotterSpell  Undisclosed.gif PotterSpell is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2593 days
Posts: 23
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

In my opinion Deathly Hallows: Part 1 was the most faithful book to movie adaptation since the first 3 films. But I felt for Part 2 Yates wanted to change it around to make it more movie-like since it was the final film. While some things worked (I liked them using the boathouse for Snape's death, the courtyard duel was a good change) most just bothered me. And I think as one poster pointed out, pretty much every scene not focusing on the trio was already spoiled in trailers, TV spots, previews, and whatnot. But what bothers me most is that this was the shortest Potter film. They could've easily added in our most pointed out omissions and the movie would've worked.

Does Part 2 work as a movie?
Extremely well and very entertaining.
But as a book to film adaptation?
I'd say no, it was sort of a mess.

Yates did a fantastic job with this film, but I think if it were more faithful to the book people still would've liked it and it would've satisfied the book readers a lot more.


Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old July 17th, 2011, 8:37 pm
Fishielicious  Undisclosed.gif Fishielicious is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2675 days
Posts: 5
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I think Harry destroying the Elder Wand has more finality; how will it be repaired so it can be used?
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one. Obviously it's not how it happened in the book, but in the movie, what better way to express Harry's absolute lack of power-lust?

Also, everyone seems to be kind of upset that everything wasn't done more publicly (i.e, Harry vs. Voldemort, Neville vs. Nagini). This is something that I didn't even think about watching the movies, and a complaint I don't understand very well. If the complaint is that Neville won't get the recognition he deserves, well, I think it's quite obvious to everyone already that Neville has changed quite a bit into a much stronger person, and people will know that he did that, whether they saw it themselves or not. I agree it's less neatly packaged to have these important moments happen in a less public arena than they did in the books, but I feel like in the movie, that might have seemed almost intolerably contrived (if, admittedly, cathartic). I didn't have a problem with how they did it on the whole (there were some bizarre choices made, but I won't go into that).


Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old July 17th, 2011, 9:18 pm
DA93  Male.gif DA93 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3281 days
Location: Norway
Posts: 314
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Just a few things bothered me after watching it two times:

- Neville is in love with Luna. Okay... It's not the worst thing, but it wasn't in the book so i see no reason to put it in the movie.

- Bellatrix exploding. Why? I can understand why Voldemort's body is broken, but why they made Bellatrix explode, i will never understand.

- The final battle. Its just better in the book, but i won't complain to much about how they did this.

- Kind of anoying that nobody's mentioning that they're in the Room of Requirement when they arrive Hogwarts. I can imagine thet people who havn't read the book could be confused.

But i really love the movie though


__________________
'If you have to ask, you’ll never know. If you know, you need only ask'



"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old July 17th, 2011, 9:56 pm
PotterGurl08  Undisclosed.gif PotterGurl08 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4037 days
Posts: 443
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I'm not sure how I feel about Neville/Luna.

We know it's not canon simply because JKR has said so. But in the books, there is no clear indication of who Neville or Luna end up with. I remember after reading the books, for whatever reason, I did naturally pair the two of them up post-DH, until JKR said otherwise.
I think there's just something in the book that creates that feeling, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

The movies I think did allude to it in OOTP. I remember Neville running forward to grab Luna's hand after Ginny tore the place down with her "reducto" curse.


Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:02 pm
Slartibartfast's Avatar
Slartibartfast  Female.gif Slartibartfast is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3110 days
Location: Magrathea
Age: 37
Posts: 971
Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willz View Post
NO Percy
NO Wood.

These 2 really annoyed me, Wood was in the trailers and Percy..did the actor even get cast for this film?!
Percy was present. He appears out of literally no where though. He doesnt even say anything from what i could gather but he is certainly there. Wood? Nah he wasnt there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potion View Post
I loved the movie, although I didn't like the following:


- Why didn't Severus turn into a bat instead of the common black smoke, which any Death Eater can turn into?
Wut. Why should Snape turn into a bat? That certainly would have made no sense. Hes not an animagus.

Quote:
- The inclusion of the ruined part of Voldemort's soul, at King's Cross. I loathe the disturbing image of the 'flayed baby' in the book, and I thought its inclusion in the film was unnecessary - it was gross.
lol! I actually liked the fact they included that. I think i would have been a bit upset had they not. Yes i agree its massively disturbing but im glad it was there.


__________________


Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:51 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.