Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

View Poll Results: What did you think of the movie?
A Fantastic Adaptation. I loved everything about this movie. 36 15.52%
B Very Good Adaptation. I enjoyed the movie. A few minor issues but no big deal. 89 38.36%
C A Good Adaptation. I was entertained. Some room for improvement but overall it was fine. 48 20.69%
D Viewable Adaptation. There are lots I would have done differently though. 24 10.34%
E Below Average Adaptation. It needed improvements throughout, unfortunately. 23 9.91%
F - Awful Adaptation. I found the film almost intolerable. There is a great deal wrong with HBP 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2nd, 2009, 3:16 am
First Year

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

i'm going to see it in 3D IMAX tomorrow (already seen it once in reg screen), disappointed already because I found out they 3Ded the beginning...-_- I dunno why they did that, instead of maybe the burrow or somewhere ELSE...I mean, it wouldve made the burrow scene more interesting considering how pointless it was ~>~

"There is a room in the Department of Mysteries that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than forces of nature."
--Albus Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2009, 4:05 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermoninnie View Post
i'm going to see it in 3D IMAX tomorrow (already seen it once in reg screen), disappointed already because I found out they 3Ded the beginning...-_- I dunno why they did that, instead of maybe the burrow or somewhere ELSE...I mean, it wouldve made the burrow scene more interesting considering how pointless it was ~>~
I think watching the opening scenes in 3D will be fine. You get to fly through London and see the house Slughorn is staying in being repaired.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 4:33 am
Zonko's Employee

I wanted to comment about Katie Bell. I thought the actress was great in that little part! She was the most normal girl I've ever seen in a mainstream movie. She looks like a regular girl who lives on your block or something. The role required this because Katie Bell represented that anyone is in danger, even if you have no relation to Harry Potter or any of the stars. It was very disturbing seeing such a normal girl attacked like she was by the necklace. I also get a very traditional 'hero' vibe from Harry when he talks to her when she comes back. The 'kind and warm hero', protector of the common man and woman...that kind of thing. He showed the makings of a future Auror all throughout this movie.

Though, as a fan, it does irk me that Harry uses the term 'hex' when talking about Malfoy putting Katie under the Imperius curse. That's what he did, wasn't it? Also, in the film, Harry saw Malfoy in the three broomsticks so when Snape was asking for evidence, it was weird that Harry didn't tell him Malfoy was there.

I do liked how they portrayed Harry though in this film. He was more his reckless trouble-making Gryffindor self of the books. I felt in the prior films, especially the first two, they kinda made Harry into a Hufflepuff, so the 'rule-breaking rebel' aspect of his character wasn't too embellished.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; August 2nd, 2009 at 4:50 am.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 5:10 am
Fourth Year

I really wanted to pick option A this time, because my love for the movie doubles with every subsequent viewing (and I've seen it thrice so far ) but the option says 'I loved everything about this movie' and as much as I want to, I just can't concur with that.

All my initial nitpicks and misgivings have been washed away - the Burrow scene, the waitress scene, Harry not being paralysed under the cloak at the Astronomy tower et all but the ending effectively ruins the warm glow that I have at the end of the movie. No matter which way I look at it, I don't understand why Ron has to sulk at the back, while Hermione professes undying loyalty. Ron is the one who first says, "We're coming with you, Harry'. It's not foreshadowing to DH, it's just a bad directorial decision.

Also, it's exceedingly odd for Hermione to suddenly tell Harry that Ron is okay with his and Ginny's relationship, while they are in the middle of talking about Dumbledore and the Horcruxes, not least because Ron is sitting right there to tell Harry that himself!

*sigh*

That remains my only problem with the movie. I do so love everything else.

Last edited by Kanksha; August 2nd, 2009 at 5:15 am. Reason: forgot something
Old August 2nd, 2009, 5:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
No matter which way I look at it, I don't understand why Ron has to sulk at the back. Ron is the one who first says, "We're coming with you, Harry'. It's not foreshadowing to DH, it's just a bad directorial decision.

*sigh*
There's no way we can be sure of either. I interpret it as foreshadowing because of the look on Ron's face. To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me because him being the one to say that he and Hermione are coming with Harry is unimportant, in my opinion.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 5:17 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
There's no way we can be sure of either. I interpret it as foreshadowing because of the look on Ron's face. To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me because him being the one to say that he and Hermione are coming with Harry is unimportant, in my opinion.
If they had let Ron stand there with them, as part of the Trio, and yet have that look on his face for a moment, that would have been foreshadowing.

This way doesn't work, for me.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 5:26 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Also, in the film, Harry saw Malfoy in the three broomsticks so when Snape was asking for evidence, it was weird that Harry didn't tell him Malfoy was there.
I just got back from seeing the movie for the second time, and this bothered me the second time too! He was suspicious of Malfoy when he saw him in the 3 Broomsticks, so why didn't he at least place him there. "I just know" is very un-Harryish. Harry (book version) likes to give reasons.

My constant complaint about HBP is lack of dialogue, and this is one example where a few more words would have made a bigger impact.

I am still frustrated by the lack of use of magic to put out fire both in the Burrow and Hagrid's hut. And I still wish that Dumbledore had explained that Riddle like to collect trophies. But otherwise, I enjoyed the movie much more on the second viewing.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 5:27 am
First Year

I voted 'B'

I enjoyed the movie enough that I went and saw it again (in IMAX 3-D, very impressive). Without the final battle scene though, one has to ask why did Draco go to the trouble of fixing the cabinet when the Death Eaters did nothing once they were there?

I enjoyed Dumbledore's lines in this movie much more than the previous ones.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 5:36 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
All my initial nitpicks and misgivings have been washed away - the Burrow scene, the waitress scene, Harry not being paralysed under the cloak at the Astronomy tower et all but the ending effectively ruins the warm glow that I have at the end of the movie. No matter which way I look at it, I don't understand why Ron has to sulk at the back, while Hermione professes undying loyalty. Ron is the one who first says, "We're coming with you, Harry'. It's not foreshadowing to DH, it's just a bad directorial decision.

Also, it's exceedingly odd for Hermione to suddenly tell Harry that Ron is okay with his and Ginny's relationship, while they are in the middle of talking about Dumbledore and the Horcruxes, not least because Ron is sitting right there to tell Harry that himself!
I agree with you 100%! Those are my same issues with the movie - otherwise, I think it was really quite good. Although my beef with the Burrow is (as I said in an earlier post) was that they all stood there and stared at the fire like a bunch of duds. I wanted to scream 'are you wizards and witches or what! Put the fire out! It's Aquamenti!'

And speaking of duds - Ron looks pathetic sitting there at the end of the movie. It's as if he has to go to the loo and if he moves he might have an accident so he's sitting there waiting for the moment to pass. It makes no sense whatsoever that he's sitting there by himself and not joining into the conversation.

And if it is foreshadowing, it is a poor job of it since Hermione says to Harry that Ron is ok with him liking Ginny. Clearly Harry doesn't have a thing for Hermione if they're discussing Ron's sister. And it implies that Ron and Hermione have had a conversation about how Harry likes Ginny - so when Ron gets jealous in DH it will make no sense because the relationships have been set in this movie.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 6:28 am
Hogwarts Graduate

When I read that they were not doing Dumbledore's funeral, I was disappointed. But, I liked the way everyone gathered around him and held their wands up, like sometimes I've seen people hold light candles in memory of someone who died. That was pretty nice.
I do wish they had skipped the cafe scene and stuck with Dumbledore collecting Harry at the Dursleys'. I didn't understand why Harry ended up near the Burrow standing in water.
In DH, Tonk's parents had a small pond near their home. But, I didn't think there was a pond near the Burrow. I was a bit confused when Snape held his finger to his lips to shush Harry. Harry was already supposed to be immobilized, why would Snape think he was going to move or make a sound? And I still don't understand why Bella was dancing on the tables in the Great Hall. I had seen pictures, but somehow didn't realise this was part of the movie. Someone had posted under the picture that Bellatrix had ordered Decaf coffee, so I thought it was just a gag. Overall, I voted "B" good with a few minor problems.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 7:09 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I agree with you 100%! Those are my same issues with the movie - otherwise, I think it was really quite good. Although my beef with the Burrow is (as I said in an earlier post) was that they all stood there and stared at the fire like a bunch of duds. I wanted to scream 'are you wizards and witches or what! Put the fire out! It's Aquamenti!'
I know! I would have liked to see the fate of two Death Eater's actually having the guts to attack a house full of qualified wizards, not counting Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny, who they've already fought and lost against, when said characters weren't acting OOC!

Quote:
And speaking of duds - Ron looks pathetic sitting there at the end of the movie. It's as if he has to go to the loo and if he moves he might have an accident so he's sitting there waiting for the moment to pass. It makes no sense whatsoever that he's sitting there by himself and not joining into the conversation.

And if it is foreshadowing, it is a poor job of it since Hermione says to Harry that Ron is ok with him liking Ginny. Clearly Harry doesn't have a thing for Hermione if they're discussing Ron's sister. And it implies that Ron and Hermione have had a conversation about how Harry likes Ginny - so when Ron gets jealous in DH it will make no sense because the relationships have been set in this movie.
It's so silly, just a few minor tweaks and that scene could have been so good!

They could have left in Harry and Hermione's dialogue about the Horcruxes and then have Hermione say her (admittedly very good) line "I've always admired your courage Harry but sometimes you can be really thick! We're coming with you." Then they should've panned out to Ron sitting behind them, listening, and then he stands up and says, "Yeah mate, we're sticking with you to the end." and he starts to walk over to join them. Hermione whispers to Harry, "He's okay with you and Ginny you know, but keep the snogging to a minimum" or whatever the line was and Ron reaches them and says "What're you whispering about?" and Harry and Hermione laugh and say "Nothing", Ron looks suspicious for a moment (and THAT would be foreshadowing), and Harry says his final line, "I never realised how beautiful this place was." The three of them watch Fawkes fly across the sky and that's it.

End of scene! Perfect movie!

Don't laugh people

Old August 2nd, 2009, 4:15 pm
First Year

I'm sure this has already been said, but I think that even one scene with Snape teaching DADA would have made this movie more cohesive. That way at the end when he snaps at Harry, "You dare use my own spells against me? Yes, that's right. I am the Half-Blood Prince," there would have been more to tie it together.

I guess they also could have made Snape say something at the bathroom scene that would have given the viewer some recognition that he knew what spell Harry had just cast.

But overall, a lovely movie. Upon second viewing, Dumbledore's face when he says "Severus, please." Brilliant. Moving. Perfect.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffindorhero View Post
I'm sure this has already been said, but I think that even one scene with Snape teaching DADA would have made this movie more cohesive. That way at the end when he snaps at Harry, "You dare use my own spells against me? Yes, that's right. I am the Half-Blood Prince," there would have been more to tie it together.

I guess they also could have made Snape say something at the bathroom scene that would have given the viewer some recognition that he knew what spell Harry had just cast.

But overall, a lovely movie. Upon second viewing, Dumbledore's face when he says "Severus, please." Brilliant. Moving. Perfect.
Actually, I think they did a really good job foreshadowing that Snape was the prince. Of-course the knowing look Snape gives Harry when he discovers Malfoy, the way he incants that song-like spell and the way the scene transition to the common room scene and a shot of the potions book where we could still hear Snape's song spell in the background.

I didn't find the Prince revelation odd at all. Harry tried to use Secumsemptra on Snape, Snape chided him for using his own spells against him which of-course naturally lead to revealing himself as the prince.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 7:25 pm
Fifth Year

Snape should had been given more screen-time. The title of the film became a thin sub-plot, but I didn't find it weird that he revealed he was the half-blood prince in the end.

What I would've changed in this film: Removed some romance, added more about Tom Riddle - the difference between Voldemort and Harry's mother, what made Voldemort cruel, mentioned he liked to collect trophies etc. They didn't need more memories, rather more explanation from Dumbledore. More information about horcruxes, more Snape, a longer confrontation in the end between Harry and Snape, Hagrid fighting the death eaters, removed the waitress...Why did they give away Draco's mission so early? They killed the mysteri! When it comes to the Burrow-attack I think they made a mistake of not introducing Bill. It would also made the attack more intense and less pointless if showed Greyback attacking Bill.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. However, I really enjoyed the film and they made many creative and brilliant scenes. To make the ultimate HP film which please everyone is unfortunately impossible...

Last edited by Noldus; August 2nd, 2009 at 7:27 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 7:35 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Anyway, this is just my opinion. However, I really enjoyed the film and they made many creative and brilliant scenes. To make the ultimate HP film which please everyone is unfortunately impossible...
Umm...the first movie everyone loved. At least at first. This series wouldn't have been so lucrative if that hadn't been the case.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old August 2nd, 2009, 7:46 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:

It's so silly, just a few minor tweaks and that scene could have been so good!

They could have left in Harry and Hermione's dialogue about the Horcruxes and then have Hermione say her (admittedly very good) line "I've always admired your courage Harry but sometimes you can be really thick! We're coming with you." Then they should've panned out to Ron sitting behind them, listening, and then he stands up and says, "Yeah mate, we're sticking with you to the end." and he starts to walk over to join them. Hermione whispers to Harry, "He's okay with you and Ginny you know, but keep the snogging to a minimum" or whatever the line was and Ron reaches them and says "What're you whispering about?" and Harry and Hermione laugh and say "Nothing", Ron looks suspicious for a moment (and THAT would be foreshadowing), and Harry says his final line, "I never realised how beautiful this place was." The three of them watch Fawkes fly across the sky and that's it.

End of scene! Perfect movie!

Don't laugh people
Actually, I like it very much You can develope this further in the "script your own version of Harry Potter-thread" if you want to. Here: http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=111879
If you do I'll definitely read it

Last edited by Noldus; August 2nd, 2009 at 7:48 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 8:52 pm
First Year

One thing that struck me was that they used a different actor for Tom Riddle as they did in COS, this had me kind of confused.
I didn't like the film very much. I thought Dumbledore's performance was weak and I totally hated the way Lavender Brown was drooling over Ron.
I my humble opinion, the film could have been about 30 times better. A lot of the book was totally ignored and instead of the suspense and angst everyone expected the main theme seemed to be romance and humour.

Granted; I thought The Golden Trio and Snape were brilliant. So was Malfoy except for the scene in which he cried. I know fake crying is very difficult, but maybe they should have had him whimper a bit and cry soundlessly for the rest of the scene.

'Or maybe,' said a very cold voice right behind them, 'he's waiting to hear why you two didn't arrive on the school train.'

Chamber of Secrets, Ch. 5: The Whomping Willow
Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:02 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen_Caulfield View Post
One thing that struck me was that they used a different actor for Tom Riddle as they did in COS, this had me kind of confused.
I didn't like the film very much. I thought Dumbledore's performance was weak and I totally hated the way Lavender Brown was drooling over Ron.
I my humble opinion, the film could have been about 30 times better. A lot of the book was totally ignored and instead of the suspense and angst everyone expected the main theme seemed to be romance and humour.

Granted; I thought The Golden Trio and Snape were brilliant. So was Malfoy except for the scene in which he cried. I know fake crying is very difficult, but maybe they should have had him whimper a bit and cry soundlessly for the rest of the scene.
But this is what the majority of the book is about: romance and humor. All of the problems general audiences have with this film is because of the source material imo. HBP is my least favorite of the HP books. I just felt the series was building and building towards darker and more epic material with Gof and Ootp...only to get to HBP where it's all teen romance and humor.

In the long run of the series, I think it will pay for HBP to be so light-hearted because OOTP and DH1 and 2 will be so dark, you needed a lighter episode in the middle to balance it out a bit.

Though yeah, I do see how HBP is sort of an awkward episode in the saga. Voldemort is back and the world knows it...but here we are getting into teen politics.

Funnily enough, HBP as a film is my favorite yet but that has more to do with adaptation and the script and cinematography than the source material. I feel HBP is a film that manages to stay reasonably faithful to the story while still being cinematic at the same time.

So for HBP, I didn't like the book, but LOVED the movie, but when I first saw OOTP, I loved the book but hated the movie. I guess when you're not crazy about the book, you tend to be able to look past certain changes and things and see it specifically as a film. I'll probably be more critical of DH because it's my second favorite of the series behind OOTP, but with two films, I think they should get it fairly right.

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; August 2nd, 2009 at 9:06 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
The actor is currently 30 years old. He was probably 28 when they started filming. He's too old to play a teenager.

Quote:
[...]and I totally hated the way Lavender Brown was drooling over Ron.
She's like this in the book.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Umm...the first movie everyone loved. At least at first. This series wouldn't have been so lucrative if that hadn't been the case.
Given that a sizeable chunk of the audience for HP1 (20% in North America) went away and only some drifted back again - the objective evidence does not support this statement.

Other franchises picked up audiences: LOTR1 -> LOTR2 -> LOTR3.

Moreover, HP has proved less lucrative than other franchises, many of them based on original material and not best sellers and therefore with no expensive film rights to purchase from novelists.

Last edited by mrfutterman; August 2nd, 2009 at 10:06 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies