Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old July 12th, 2007, 6:41 am
Second Year

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Why don't you go ahead and post this thread on your LiveJournal page as well? That way, people who find out about this discussion during the forum blackout will be able to be caught up when the forum reopens.

Wolf. I like my solitude. Take this quiz!

My new music video. Ron and Hermione - Everything I Do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzlQgNBNCs8

I resisted Lord Bunnymort and all I got was this stupid sig line.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 2:31 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Previous Chapter Post
GoF Chp 1: The Riddle House
GoF Chp 2: The Port Key
GoF Chp 3: The Quidditch World Cup
GoF Chp 4: The Dark Mark
GoF Chp 5: The Tri-Wizard Tournament
GoF Chp 6: The Goblet of Fire
GoF Chp 7: The Unforgivable Curses
GoF Chp 8: The Four Champions
GoF Chp 9: Let Events Unfold
GoF Chp 10: Rita Skeeter

GoF Chp 11: Sirius Conversation
GoF Chp 12: The Hungarian Horntail
GoF Chp 13: Transforming Malfoy
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 1)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 14: The First Task (Part 2)

ZOMG DRAGONS!

DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS, DRAGONS,

DRAGONS!!!!

The interesting thing that I've noticed about the annoucement made by Dumbledore while Harry is in the tent is how he states how the 3 other champions have passed their task, so it basically tells us that Harry will face them in the second task anyways. Kind of making sure that the audience knows that the other 3 would have made it, but it really seemed so useless a bit of information that it really didn't require to be said.

However all in all the hiatus sort of put some things into perspective for me in GoF. Not so much my review of OoTP which declared GoF to look like training wheels compared to OoTP, but more the idea that GoF's composition of scenary and landscapes. IMHO Newall seems to do something different from Cuaron and even Columbus. Whereas Columbus showed it for the sake of showing, Cuaron showed it's majesty through picture perfect shots, Newall seems to have a certain style that gives whatever background or scenary he's shooting character. It's not there all the time, but just imagine a lot of his shots without the involvement of students or movie bodies and you'd see. It isn't typically majestic as you might see in a photograph but in it's own right it's a very beautiful thing to behold at times; the combination of his pedistrian/documentary from the ground look to his semi-grand shots of various locales, there's a certain expression of his various shots of scenary.

I think one thing that we should consider when we continue on with the other chapters is how hard looking the rest of the scenic shots are. How utterly unyielding it is in it's chiseled or craggy look from cliffs, to owlries, to mountain ranges and even Hogwarts itself; you can easily imagine if you fell anywhere onto the scenary...you would shatter like cheap brittle glass. Even something as simple as the aftermath of the Yule Ball could easily show how little comfort the castle steps seem to offer for crying girls of the night. Columbus' Hogwarts was pretty warm and inviting, Cuaron's being mysterious yet witty but Newall's is downright stiff and capable of destroying you.

However as we continue, I love the animation of the Horntail. The chase itself is pale mimickery of the wonders that Cuaron managed to do, and sort of hops back into the Columbus train a bit. It's good the first time but upon repeat viewings you see the glaring boring spots and lack of action. The Horntail, I can't get enough of...how it breathes, how it acts, like a feral beast. The design of the fire coming out of what seems like two sacs is great and reminds me much of Reign of Fire but at the same time I imagine they tooken the idea from snakes with venom sacs as well. The most amazing part I love the most is how cumbersome the animal looks when trying to navigate across the tower roof. It's just these small things that give life to the Horntail (far better than in GoF Chp 12: The Hungarian Horntail) that show not just faults of the Dragon, but it's thought or conciousness of what it's trying to do.

Sadly I can't say the same for the human actors. As brutal as the film is at times, the actual battle and stunt sequences done by Radcliffe (or double) looked terrible. Small things seem less than professional, such as the flames trying to burn Harry the first time, only to have the next cut look blatently obvious that it was more stunt magic than reality. The great moment where Harry summons up his courage to Accio the Firebolt, falls flat and bland. I admit it was a great change but had there ever been a time where Harry was to show his bravery it was supposed to be now. Watson's annoying shouting didn't help much either of which should have been more reserved, even a whisper to herself to trust Harry and would have elevated the gesture greatly cinematically instead of nagging him to near death. And the tension of Harry falling off the tower...not tense at all. I guess it was more just me amazed by the movement of the CG Dragon than Radcliffe's action star status being revoked. I personally felt there was no instance where Harry had actually used any of the smarts he had exhibited in the novel version.

But I do have to say out of all the tasks, this is the one that provides the most personal disagreement. I would have liked it to be more like the novel, just to see Harry being able to outwit the Horntail, but it's hard enough already to show what Harry's thinking without having to rely on Radcliffe's sporadic good time and bad times of acting. On the other hand if it was done that way we wouldn't have seen the magnificient animation of the Horntail of which I praise so much. At the same time there would be a total unbalance to how the three tasks should be shot in the first place because each task is like a mini-film unto itself with a introduction, middle and conclusion which I appreciate the production values put into them...seem to bog the film down greatly.

Ultimately it might have been a creative change to make Harry seem to lose his book wits and get only film-fear/luck to get through the task. If you take into consideration that Harry is outskilled by his opponents, I suppose that there should be a clear emphasis or consistency throughout the film that Harry is vastly underskilled for this event and only getting through by the skin of his teeth. That would make Harry facing his fears to fight Voldemort all the more impressive as character growth. So that means a significantly diminished Harry for the first task as compared to his vastly more confident self in the novel.

As much as I have reservations as to how much I like this particular part, I should mention that the end of this scene transitioning to the next is possibly one of the most groanworthy directorial moments in the entire series. It's even worst that Columbus IMHO. I have never seen a more jarring, simplistic and stupid transition from zooming into the egg and showing it hoisted up in the Grffindor Common room in the next shot. Holy Cripes, it's like spitting into my face at times.

Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Track 10: Golden Egg.
    Music Cue list greatly supplied by The Harry Potter Lexicon

• I did mention in the previous chapter how Rita Skeeter is sort of pushed aside and never given a sense of finality in the film. But I suppose that Harry's flight path through the professor's box and thus leaving Skeeter thouroughly dissheveled from the Horntail's damage was a send off to her. That's far too short and undeserving of her espeicially considered what she did...however I guess the media damage she done in the film was far less destructive in comparison to the novel. I guess she got what she deserved film-Karma-wise.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; July 24th, 2007 at 9:17 pm.
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Second Year

I know there's a lot of people on these boards who absolutely hate this scene and claim it "goes on forever" but I personally love it! If they had stuck to what happened in the book, for a film, it wouldn't have been exciting. Being chased around Hogwarts made for a great visual shot and I loved the bit of tension on the rooftops with Harry struggling to get his broom as the dragon is pursuing him. Btw, the dragon looked AMAZING! Like Darwin said, from the fire sacks to the way it moved, it looked real. The transition is a little strange, as is how everyone in the Common Room stops talking and cheering when Ron walks in ("What the bloody hell was that?") but all in all, I thought it was a fun/exciting scene.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Second Year

Oh. The dragon scene.

Let me start off by saying that I loved the dragon. I can not imagine a single thing that could make it look more magnificient, scarier or more... dragon-like than this one.

I also love every moment of action that goes on at the "dragon arena". Well, maybe except Watson's insane squeals. Then again, Hermione is supposed to be high-strung, and she does squeal...

Harry hides from the dragon - briliant. He finally has a vacant second to summon his broom - brilliant. He jumps on the Firebolt and you start to see his skill as a flyer, and where he feels at home - wonderful.

Then they leave the area - and I leave to get a cup of coffe or some more popcorn.

I have nothing to say on the cgi, neither do I have any complaints about Radcliffe's acting. But everything from where they leave the stadium is - in my opinion - completely useless and waste of precious, precious time in a movie where they have already had to make brutal cuts from the book due to time problems.

So why did they feel the need to add this cringe-worthy, horrible cliffhanger-scene? For excitement? Action-purposes? If there ever was a HP-book that had action in it, it was GoF. First you have the Quidditch World Cup, then the Dark Mark Scene. Then you have three heavy tasks filled with action - and to top it off you have the return of Voldemort and the revelation of Barty Crouch Jr. Not to mention the "Parting of the Ways", which they excluded.

There are tons of canon action stuff in the book to pick from. So much, in fact, that they couldn't fit it all. So much is going on in the book, that they had to cut S.P.E.W. - a great subplot - amongst other things. There is no need to add more action. It's an insult to JKR to prolong the dragon scene like they had done. Like her own action scenes aren't good enough.

And, no, I don't buy the argument that it wouldn't be exciting on screen. Not at all. I find the arena scene very exciting. And as soon as Harry is on that broom, it's not supposed to be that thrilling anymore - because he knows what he is doing. He is in control. In the movie, he wasn't in control at all, doing cliffhanger-stunts.

This scene is just as cring-worthy as the "smack-the-hurt-leg"-scene in PoA - both of them are horribly out of place, and an insult to JKR and her fans. In my opinion, at least.

As for the common room-scene, I have two comments:

1. It seems out of character for Harry to want attention like he does in that scene
2. Like I mention earlier in this thread, Fred and George sticks out like two soar thumbs. It's glaringly obvious that they are the only one of their age in the room.

Last edited by Tabris93; July 24th, 2007 at 8:20 pm.
Old July 25th, 2007, 7:40 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
Oh. The dragon scene.

Let me start off by saying that I loved the dragon. I can not imagine a single thing that could make it look more magnificient, scarier or more... dragon-like than this one.

I also love every moment of action that goes on at the "dragon arena". Well, maybe except Watson's insane squeals. Then again, Hermione is supposed to be high-strung, and she does squeal...

Harry hides from the dragon - briliant. He finally has a vacant second to summon his broom - brilliant. He jumps on the Firebolt and you start to see his skill as a flyer, and where he feels at home - wonderful.

Then they leave the area - and I leave to get a cup of coffe or some more popcorn.
ROFL I'm glad I'm not the only one that seems to think about this. It's too bad my fascination for DRAGONS DRAGONS AND MORE DRAGONS keep me glued to the scene.

Quote:
I have nothing to say on the cgi, neither do I have any complaints about Radcliffe's acting. But everything from where they leave the stadium is - in my opinion - completely useless and waste of precious, precious time in a movie where they have already had to make brutal cuts from the book due to time problems.

So why did they feel the need to add this cringe-worthy, horrible cliffhanger-scene? For excitement? Action-purposes? If there ever was a HP-book that had action in it, it was GoF. First you have the Quidditch World Cup, then the Dark Mark Scene. Then you have three heavy tasks filled with action - and to top it off you have the return of Voldemort and the revelation of Barty Crouch Jr. Not to mention the "Parting of the Ways", which they excluded.

There are tons of canon action stuff in the book to pick from. So much, in fact, that they couldn't fit it all. So much is going on in the book, that they had to cut S.P.E.W. - a great subplot - amongst other things. There is no need to add more action. It's an insult to JKR to prolong the dragon scene like they had done. Like her own action scenes aren't good enough.

And, no, I don't buy the argument that it wouldn't be exciting on screen. Not at all. I find the arena scene very exciting. And as soon as Harry is on that broom, it's not supposed to be that thrilling anymore - because he knows what he is doing. He is in control. In the movie, he wasn't in control at all, doing cliffhanger-stunts.
Well I'm not entirely against your opinion of inclusion of other sub-plots and storylines in the novel for the movie (which is a lie, I'm probably more against it that I state I am) but IMHO I don't think that taking out something such as time from the dragon car chase sequence is the movie equivalent of say...packing luggage. That's like saying if you take out that clock radio which is probably useless, you'd could easily add in like 5 more useful pairs of socks. It's just that because you could probably fit something in there, should you? I think in filmmaking in general they aren't so much looking at the length of a film (although that is a big thing to look at) but they are looking at what makes the film capable of being the film. Pace, efficient production of ideas etc.

Like take for instance the inclusion of Borgin and Burke's in CoS. I know that it's quite a broken record to bring it up, but just to show something as simple as Borgin and Burke's whose importance must be shown but that scene itself is quite a bit of filler, at least to me. There's a definate beginning, middle and end for that place of which a simple scene such as that; could bog a film down dramatically. However I must admit, I can't watch CoS again without Borgin and Burke's without feeling like I was missing something since I'm so used to watching it now (about like half a dozen times) but I guess that is one of the points of filmmaking. With OoTP out, I felt it was done pretty well despite what was cut out and yet it still missed a few things that really *really* fleshed it out. It wasn't necessarily the cuts from the novel, but more how the film sort of regarded itself...whether it was comfortable enough to consider itself complete.

However in regards to the action sequence, I have the same feeling of resentment (as a whole) as you do but for different reasons. Mainly that the film really never decided to take that potential action sequence and make it's own. It didn't take the chance to make a Harry Potterverse action sequence as opposed to making an action sequence with Potterverse details; my nickname for the Dragon Car Chase Scene. It isn't to say that I didn't like it, but I didn't love it. I mean if you replaced Harry and the Dragon with airplanes...bang......there you go how is it any different from any other dogfight sequence? I mean having Harry hang off the roof...lame. It looked like something out of a B-Movie.

But this really brings up a point about how filmmaking the Potterverse should be. As much as JKR did a wonderful job with her own action sequences (and replying to your own observations of how much action that GoF has) there are times that they really don't sell it. The directors don't make the sequence theirs or unique to the film. This isn't to say that every film should be groundbreaking and completly original, but to be shot in such a way where you believe that this action sequence exists in that filmverse and that filmverse alone. That's why I love quidditch so much in PoA.

I mean I could watch the action sequences to in 300 over and over again despite them being quite short a times. It's a work of art and there isn't anything new to the film but it just works in such a great kickbutt way that it makes that massacre look almost poetic. However in comparison to say The Matrix Revolutions with it's 20 minute action sequence of guns ablazing, giant mechs vs. evil robots; it's not just overkill, but I didn't believe in that world. It just seemed so generic. Another comparison is the ship battles in POTC1 which I could watch over and over again as well, but at the same time POTC3 where it pushed the envelope with a ship battle in a huge whirlpool, it was boring to me. Drawn out and just unbelievable. Another one from that series, the sword fights which was superior to even POCT2's sword fights despite being between 3 people and on a giant water mill wheel. They have the same concept of fantastic battles, but I felt POTC1's was more genuine.

It's not to knock JKR, but I really think that Newall and Kloves got a pretty bum rap for this film especially. I mean can you imagine how many people are just saying GoF is going to be the turning point for the series...totally. There are going to be 3.5 huge action sequences in this film along with Hogwarts itself so go at 'er guys...just make sure you make it the action film it is in the books but keep it like the books. I could almost imagine Newall having this cut up nightmare to work with and trying to make a coherent movie out of it. I mean he done well enough but I always get the feeling he's making this film either piecemeal or by the skin of his teeth. It's like one scene at a time here boyo which I almost love because each and every Task is like a mini movie unto itself with a beginning, middle and end. But at the same time that's the fault...it drags away from the rest of the storyline. In some respect I could easily picture a more downplayed on action film of GoF with shorter Task sequences to the point of each being as long as CoS's carflight action sequence. The latter two tasks are pretty impressive, I can't really imagine them any different but even moreso imagine if the dragon scene was shorter and just downplayed...it'd totally feel inconsistent which is something I always think should be vital in making a film good.

Well I'm not making excuses really or really going entirely against your opinion but it's just to show a different opinion with the same conclusion...GoF is a mess of a film at times, adaption-wise and filmwise. It's just that to me with this film it raises more could haves as a film as opposed to the other films. Whereas PS and CoS have a certain content completeness to each film (which I begrudgingly admit :P) and PoA has it's completeness as a film; GoF just feels like something that could have been more filmwise but wasn't.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; July 25th, 2007 at 7:47 am.
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:14 am
Second Year

To put it this way:

The dragon scene didn't necessarily have to be shorter in my opinion (love your car change analogy!), but from the moment he gets on the Firebolt, they should have stuck to the book. Meaning - keeping the action in the arena, letting Harry show his talent on his broomstick.

Like he says himself in OotP - most of what he has managed throughout the books are based on chance, luck and some nerve. The same with the dragon car chase in the movie. But in the book, it was skill that saved him. Skill on a broomstick. That is - to me - quite a different manner. Edit and change enough of these little things, and soon movie!Harry isn't the same as book!Harry. (Just as those changes have made movie!Dumbledore into... *sensures herself*... well, let's just say a man that is very different from book!Dumbledore).

Like other people have said here - they believe the important thing is to get the point across, and not necessarily keep all the details true to the book. Well, the point in this scene - as I see it - was that Harry's skill saved him - that point was changed.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle View Post
Btw, the dragon looked AMAZING! Like Darwin said, from the fire sacks to the way it moved, it looked real.
I did like the dragon clawing across the rooftop toward Harry.

I didn't really understand how a dragon would lose it's balance in mid-air after colliding with a bridge while a human on a burnt up broom would be fine.

Must say - after seeing OOP - Newell had beautiful scenic shots. Lovely!

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:11 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 2)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 15: Best Foot Forward

As mentioned before, the transition was as terrible as you can get for the HP series so far. It seemed like such an amatuerish cut. So we have the celebrations and as Tabris said the Twins stick out as the apparent oldest students there, which is quite the shame. It is sort of interesting to see this divide because it seems that older students only seem to show up around Cedric or if they are to emphasize the immaturity of Harry and Ron...namely in the Yule Ball where everyone else is having fun instead of those two.

It's hard to say that I like this scene because in some ways I do. Watson despite her eyebrow anger acting here, she still has a radiant genuine smile when she's laughing at Ron at the table for breakfast. Ginny get's a great line as does Harry who actually acts well in making fun of Ron. The rest of the acting from the Trio before in the common room was stunted with the exception of Grint who does his darndest to work with what's he's got. However here we get a definate non-canon scene that comes out of nowhere. Not a scene that is modified to substitute for another scene, a different version of the scene or to symbolize for another scene but straight up non-canon completely new and completely movie verse scene. For me...it just there. It just exists for the sake of existing and never really drives at anything other than to make some fun of certain people.

I mean it is hilarious, the Twins just make it all the more worthwhile, everything they touch is comic gold; everything is comedy. Smith is more McGonagall here than she's been since PS and I just love the symbolism of what occurs at every young dance date...the magnetic wall syndrome where guys and girls are forciably gravitated to the walls opposite to each other by sheer embarassment and shyness in interact with the opposite sex. I am quite a bit offended when Ron did make that comment about Eloise Midgen which is just nasty. I mean everyone's nervous enough, to just make more fun of them of their weight or some other problem is just mean. I just found Kloves inclusion of that sequence a bit counter to what JKR's message has been for quite a while.

Other than that I'll post something more later, but we'll have to see.

Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Track 11: Neville's Waltz.

• In the chapter Sirius Discussion, the paintings did not move and not for them being asleep. But in this case I think this is the first time in GoF we got to see another moving picture, unless I'm mistaken.

• Floating tray of toast is in the background of the breakfast scene.

Old July 28th, 2007, 12:53 pm
Second Year

There is something so incredibly cute with Dan in the entire breakfast-scene. It's very hard to describe, but as he sits there, arm in a sling, trying to munch down his breakfast while listening to "how he deals with yet another emotional blow". I don't know... I just find him adorable here. The entire scene is very funny. Hermione's indignant "Bulgarian bong-bong" cracks me up every time.

For some reason that I have never understood, Ginny has been disliked quite a bit in fandom - both in the books and the movies. I think she is brilliant, and Bonnie Wright makes an excellent Ginny! Her "It's ghastly" is so wonderfully English that it makes my toes curl.

I am a bit torn too, during the "best foot forward"-scene. It is hilarious, and Maggie Smith is maybe the closest to her book character than any other of the actors in all the movies. The twins have so much charm it should be made illegal - and I love Harry's little push when Ron is supposed to get up. And his very, very content grin - like he is really enjoying this. (And maybe a small pun to Ron giving him a little push in the Hippogriff-scene in PoA?). But, like you said, it's just a movie scene. Maybe just to establish the dance?

Ron's remark was mean. Then again, Ron can sometimes be mean - and very insensitive. Not to mention that it is highly believable that boys in that age would make remarks like that.

Filch is very funny in GoF, but it seems to me that they have thrown all canon overboard and turned him into this uncanon, out-of-the-blue funny clown character. Shame.

Old July 28th, 2007, 5:23 pm
Banned

Ron can be mean - he's mean to Moaning Myrtle all the time and Luna comments on it.

I liked that scene tremendously. Particularly:
  • very school - a DANCE !!!!
  • girls eager - leap to their feet
  • boys slouch down - looking away
  • sets up dating issues that arise later.
  • Neville sees his opportunity and is first to rise - this is Neville's turn around !!!
  • Ron and McGonagall - fantastic - "my waist!"
  • Twins joking about McGonagall being given the worst line in acting history "babbling, bumbling band of baboons" - a huge joke on what a great actress DAME Maggie Smith is and an injoke about how terrible the screenwriter is.
  • Filch's cat has RED eyes in that scene *sigh for what might have been*

I loved that scene!!! That scene made Hogwarts a school like any other, which, in love, the witchettes and wizlings are.

Quote:
Filch is very funny in GoF, but it seems to me that they have thrown all canon overboard and turned him into this uncanon, out-of-the-blue funny clown character. Shame.
Continued in Movie 5 ! Not scary anymore - but maybe that reflects also on growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post

Things of Note

Floating tray of toast is in the background of the breakfast scene.
Those were so distracting !!! I hated them. I noticed Yates paid reference to them by having same trays of toast STATIONARY ON THE TABLE in his scenes. (Yates - continuity with improvement !)

Newell seemed to think floating things was a sign of magic (see books in library).

Last edited by lindaluna; July 28th, 2007 at 5:30 pm.
Old July 31st, 2007, 5:38 am
Second Year

I was glad to finally see a "breakfast scene" in Hogwarts (not sure if the other films ever showed them eating breakfast--usually just studying in the Great Hall.) I liked seeing things like donuts and cereal boxes floating around, giving Hogwarts that whole "magicky" feel (in the library as well.) Anyway, I thought McGonnagall teaching the students to dance (leading an example with Ron) was a very funny addition and the twins' made it even funnier (LOVE the wolf-whistle). And... was Ron about to give them the finger? A funny scene that transitions well into Harry/Ron searching for dates.

Old August 1st, 2007, 7:14 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaluna View Post
Ron can be mean - he's mean to Moaning Myrtle all the time and Luna comments on it.
I know he could be mean, but I think that making fun of someone's physical appearance (especially one who doesn't deserve it) seems far too mean. I mean it's bad enough that she would be embarassed about her weight to dance with a boy; but for Ron to act that way really sort of hit a sore spot for political correctness and manners for me. He's more of a personality insulter rather than an appearance insulter. However a lot of appearance based observations have been made throughout this film. Moody's description of Fleur and Krum; Ron's little comment; the greasy hair comment on Draco. I wouldn't have thought of that until you brought this point up.
Quote:
Those were so distracting !!! I hated them. I noticed Yates paid reference to them by having same trays of toast STATIONARY ON THE TABLE in his scenes. (Yates - continuity with improvement !)
I'll have to check that out the next time I see OoTP. Thanks for the information.
Quote:
Newell seemed to think floating things was a sign of magic (see books in library).
Well it is kind of sad how we think of the magical world of HP because I think Cuaron and even Columbus had a pretty good way of showing it, but Newall it just seems so...pedestrian and lame at times.

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 15: Best Foot Forward

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 16: An Unexpected Challenge

Love is in the air. I thought that was reserved for spring but I guess Fall and Winter has their own agendas. Curse you cold wights of evil that force us to warm our hearts with love.

Speaking of which, hilarity ensues. I don't have much to say at the time since I am tired, but I'd like to start off with some major points:
  • Twins steal the show. Love them to death. I'm surprised at the amount of screentime they got this time around but it's just awesome.

• Maxine eating a but out of Hagrid's beard. As nice as the nuance and the aborted going in for a kiss by Maxine before Hagrid turns away to ask about her. What the heck? Maxine eating bugs out of Hagrid's beard? I find this peculiar and downright insulting to a certain degree because it makes it to seem that Giants are like a bunch of chimps eating bugs out of their fur. Not even that, but it totally sends the wrong message about Giants in the first place. Sure if she like...taken a rock and tossed it at a squirrel fine. But eating a bug out of Hagrid's beard? Especially when they don't include the sub-plot about Skeeter telling the world that Hagrid is half giant? Don't even include it. It doesn't advance anything at all other than to gross people out with humour from the 80's.

But a very nice thought has popped into my mind. What if that bug that Maxine ate was Rita Skeeter in her ANIMAGUS FORM? OOOOOOOOOO REVENGE IS SOOOOOO SWEEEET[/SNAPE] GGPO Mrs. Skeeter. No wonder she wasn't present in OoTP, she got eaten and digested. ROFL I love a happy ending. All that is missing is the high pitch wail of HELLLP MEEEEEEEE!

• I want to marry a Chinese woman with an Irish accent. I'm sorry but I like accents and I'm Chinese anyways so it works out just well. While Leung didn't do the best of acting, her accent melted my evil anaytical movie analyzing heart of analysis.

• This is the beginning of hilarious Snape in this chapter. Hilarious. Not really canon really and totally out of character, but hilarious. Too bad it sort of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Track 11: Neville's Waltz.

• Was it just me or was a Slythern girl talking to Hufflepuffs? And also giggling and oogling at Harry's cuteness while he was walking by? A new generation of inter-house alliances and agreements then?

• A very peculiar thing but for some reason Ron and Harry look every so small in the scene in the courtyard. It's so weird because they look so short and young like their actual ages of 14 (or supposed 14). I guess it's the cloaks. But I guess it's more the idea that we've been so close to their eye-level that we think them taller than they actually appear in real life. In this case they are shown to be the shortys that they are.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; August 1st, 2007 at 7:45 am.
Old August 1st, 2007, 7:38 pm
Second Year

I haven't seen this scene in a while, and a friend has borrowed the movie, so here goes...

I have never really understood why every girl seem to glare disgustedly at them in the courtyard. I could've understand it due to the Daily Prophet-slaunder, but even the Beauxbatons-girls are acting like that. It seemed a bit too much to me. Like the movie wanted to show how difficult it was to get a date, and then losing plausibility along the way.

If you by the twins mean when Fred (I believe) asks out Angelina, it's brilliant. What a contrast to Harry and Ron's shy and cumbersome attempts! Three seconds worth of charm and the date is set - loved it!

I've never understood, though, what they are supposed to be doing in this scene. It looks like the Great Hall, but it can't be exams. No cauldrons, yet Snape is there... is this a class at all?!

As for the scene itself... it's hilarious, but I feel a bit ambivalent towards it. I don't think Snape would ever be physical towards a student, it just seem so out of character. (Although his un-canon peeking at Fred's charm offensive is extremly cute!) I am also wondering if Harry is supposed to smile at Snape's assualt, or if Dan just couldn't keep a straight face. It seems a tad OOC too. Harry would be annoyed at Snape - never amused.

And the bug-eating thing... disgusting, and totally uncalled for. Is Newile also prejustice against part-humans?

Old August 1st, 2007, 8:50 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I've never understood, though, what they are supposed to be doing in this scene. It looks like the Great Hall, but it can't be exams. No cauldrons, yet Snape is there... is this a class at all?!

I remember them saying it's some sort of study hall that most british boarding schools have. It's a place where the students go and finish up on homework and stuff from my understanding.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 5:35 am
Banned

Quote:
I have never really understood why every girl seem to glare disgustedly at them in the courtyard.
Because that's what it SEEMS like when you are an underage boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabris
If you by the twins mean when Fred (I believe) asks out Angelina, it's brilliant.
the girl Angelina (on East Enders) really made that scene to me. I laugh every time I see her furious stare then accepting smile.

Quote:
In COS they had an actual study hall. I think this is supposed to be study hall (a boarding school concept - where children were gathered to do homework ) but done in the great hall
Quote:
And the bug-eating thing... disgusting, and totally uncalled for. Is Newile also prejustice against part-humans?
It was an ad lib by the actress, but they loved it so kept it in. I found it quite an intimate gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
I know he could be mean, but I think that making fun of someone's physical appearance (especially one who doesn't deserve it) seems far too mean.
In chapter 22 the unexpected task - Ron specifically insults Eloise Midgen, calling her a troll, with an off center nose, but it is mitigated by Hermione's spirited defense. Here it was only Ron so balder.

It just occured to me - do you make the chapter titles up or do you take them from the book ? I guess a short look at the books table of contents would tell me this answer !

Ok - kind of both - impressive !

Must say - I'm kind of depressed with the ending of the series - the only things worth discussing now - to me - will be the movie making!

Last edited by lindaluna; August 2nd, 2007 at 5:42 am.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 5:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaluna View Post
In chapter 22 the unexpected task - Ron specifically insults Eloise Midgen, calling her a troll, with an off center nose, but it is mitigated by Hermione's spirited defense. Here it was only Ron so balder.
So I guess Kloves was just sparing her feelings then? Well it's been a while since I read GoF, but thanks for the clear up. I guess Ron's just lacks tact in both film and movie version.
Quote:
It just occured to me - do you make the chapter titles up or do you take them from the book ? I guess a short look at the books table of contents would tell me this answer !
Just the DVD scene selection list. Usually most DVD's have like a little paper insert that shows what is the name of the DVD chapters, though I don't know if they still have those anymore. They seemed pretty barebones at the time.

Old August 5th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 15: Best Foot Forward
GoF Chp 16: An Unexpected Challenge

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 17: The Yule Ball

I don't have much to say about this particular scene since I dislike teen emotional drama. I mean it's fine and dandy when it's done well, but sadly some of the acting in here is about as groundbreaking as the latest teen drama/comedy/etc. It doesn't help that Watson hams up the scene even to the point where she repeats her stall tactics from GoF Chp 8: The Four Champions and pauses between certain lines. Holy smokes Watson are you like straining to remember your lines or something? Cooperation? To make friends? I just laugh because I can imagine that they took like 34 takes and that was....the....BEST......ONE.

However it is a nice set piece, which is completely different that what we are used to in the castle environs. So I will be taking plenty of screencaps to show off some of the more interesting portions of the place. Oh yeah I guess this is where the huge contrversty over pink is but I don't really care for that as so much the representation of the ethnic characters wearing their own culture's formal wear for some reason. What's that all about?

Things of Note

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; August 5th, 2007 at 6:57 pm.
Old August 5th, 2007, 9:28 pm
Fifth Year

I like the acting of everyone except Watson in this scene. The teachers are all good. Even though he has no lines, Gambon seems very Dumbledore-ish in this scene, watching Harry and smiling the same mad smile as when he wishes them good luck with the time turner, before going to dance with McGonagall (funny how Snape is the first one to applaud). I like Ron, Grint plays the seething, childish jealousy well, and Radcliffe is good as the friend caught in the middle of the lovers tiff. Emma Watson seems like she's doing a table read, not actually acting for the cameras. It just seems stilted and oddly delivered. Someone needs to tape her eyebrows down. I still don't know why fans say GOF shipped H/Hr, after seeing this scene.

The set is far too Bat Mitzvah-esque though, and I really think they could have done something a bit more inventive with it. We are at a school for wizards, Mr Newell. I also wanted something a bit more whimsical than tuxedos and prom dresses everywhere.

The chapter feels a bit too set-piecey, I think they should have kept the deleted scene of Snape and Karkaroff, because Alan Rickman is gold, and because there is some steamy carriage action going on in the courtyard. Also to take the focus back to Harry and more importantly, the Voldemort plot, which has fallen to the wayside a bit.

I don't know why anyone made a fuss about Hermione's dress colour, a blue one just wouldn't show up properly against the blue set. I'm more annoyed by Dumbledores lack of glasses and ridiculously short beard in this scene. Who is in charge of Gambon's beard? They must use about 4 different props, all different lengths! Just use one long one, instead of shuffling between short, medium, long, and really long all the time. I like DDs robe in this scene, though.

Last edited by yoshi2542; August 5th, 2007 at 9:33 pm.
Old August 6th, 2007, 5:35 am
Second Year

I think this is a really nice scene, and I have no problems with Watsons acting here. To me, it seems more like it is Hermione that struggles to find the correct words, not Emma Watson.

What I like the least here is the Wyrd Sisters song (sounds like they just wanted to put as much HP reference into the song as possible, without giving it any meaning - just mention "trolls" and "unicorns" a couple of times, and we'll do fine!) and Prf. Flitwick. I mean... come on, he looks ridicolous! I think so, anyway.

I disliked the dress colour for Hermione, as I can't see any reason for it not to be blue. Not a big thing, of course, but if you change too many details (on top of changing things in the plot), you slowly change the feel and the atmosphere of the movie until you have moved too far away from the Potterverse.

The quarrel was greatly done - and with the ballad running in the background, it took me 15 years back to my own teenage drama years. Very well done, I really recognized the feelings going on.

Oh, and another of those subtle humour scenes here. Harry's look when Hermione tells him to go to bed - hilarious!

Old August 6th, 2007, 5:44 am
First Year

thought the wyrd sisters were awesome and it really showed how a school dance is... kinda

KU ALL THE WAY

Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders!
Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders!
Add this to your signature to join!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies