Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Deadliest Catch

Old July 25th, 2009, 2:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Deadliest Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
The boat they showed in distress looked tiny. I thought perhaps it was the Lisa Marie that was part of the show during king crab season; it was definitely not the Wizard. Plus, don't forget that we've seen tons of episodes of After the Catch, which were filmed after the season was completely over, and everyone was fine. So even if there is a problem on one of our boats, the boat and people come out of it fine. But I don't think there is.
You're right. I feel better, now. I just wish Keith wouldn't take so many chances. He lets his greed get the better of him.

Whatever boat it was, I hope the crew is okay.

Quote:
I look forward to this one. Airs in August, I believe.
I think August 20. Hope we don't have another Kenley on the show.

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2009, 2:13 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I just wish Keith wouldn't take so many chances. He lets his greed get the better of him.
He was pretty cautious right after his crew got smashed by that wave, but he seems to be back to his old ways now. But then again, you have to get the gear off the boat in bad weather because if you don't that's possibly even more dangerous.

They are showing a Catch marathon today and tomorrow!
Quote:
Hope we don't have another Kenley on the show.
She was so crazy! But I guess that made for good TV. I wish they would bring Christian back . . . he makes me laugh.

Old July 26th, 2009, 5:44 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
He was pretty cautious right after his crew got smashed by that wave, but he seems to be back to his old ways now.
Well if you watched almost your entire crew and your brother get busted up, and knew that it was mostly your fault ,you'd be cautious for a while too. That said to be the captain of any of those Crabbing ships you have to be a tough and driven taskmaster with big brass ones so I'm not surprised that he has returned to his old form .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Well if you watched almost your entire crew and your brother get busted up, and knew that it was mostly your fault ,you'd be cautious for a while too.
You're absolutely right. I didn't mean it as a criticism. And now that he's gotten past that, I do think that it's better for him to have his confidence up now--when you're overly cautious it can be nearly as bad as being too reckless. I don't think he's being reckless now--I think he had to get that gear off in that bad weather to stabilize the boat. But I did think (and so did several of the other captains) that he was being reckless at the beginning of the season when he took out that number of pots in that weather, resulting in his crew's injuries.

Old July 27th, 2009, 1:34 am

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I didn't mean it as a criticism.
Of course I knew that and I agree his caution was only natural.

Quote:
I don't think he's being reckless now--I think he had to get that gear off in that bad weather to stabilize the boat.
I agree the safety of the ship is always paramount if the gear has to come off then it has to .
Quote:
But I did think (and so did several of the other captains) that he was being reckless at the beginning of the season when he took out that number of pots in that weather, resulting in his crew's injuries.
I don't agree with you on this ,he took a chance and it blew up on him .I think his big mistake was not putting that tarp on when they were still safe in harbour .Asking his crew to do it at sea now that was a bit reckless if you ask me but then who knew that they'd hit such bad seas just when they wanted to get the tarp up.
As far as the number of traps he had on board well if he is aloud to carry that many then why not it means that the ship makes more money faster than the rest of the fleet (just as long as there are no screw ups ).
I'm upset that I don't get the after the catch show up here in Canada!, I would really like to see it .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted

Last edited by twinsrule26; July 27th, 2009 at 5:36 am.
Old July 27th, 2009, 2:04 am

Quote:
I think his big mistake was not putting that tarp on when they were still safe in harbour .Asking his crew to do it at sea now that was a bit reckless if you ask me but then who knew that they'd hit such bad seas just when they wanted to get the tarp up.
I know! I was wondering the same thing--why not put the tarp on in port? But he did know the weather forecast. All of the captains knew and many of them decided to take fewer pots because of that--like Sig, for example. And when Phil saw Keith heading out with that number of pots aboard, he looked sideways at that and said he'd never take that big a stack out in that weather. Keith took a chance that none of our other captains did.
Quote:
I'm upset that I don't get the after the catch show up here in Canada!, I would really like to see it .
Oh, yeah, you're really missing out. It's very interesting and often funny to hear them discuss the show and to see their interactions. I wonder if they will have AtC on the DVDs for this season.

Have any of you seen that movie, Deadliest Sea (something like that)? It is the story of a fishing vessel that went down, I think. The voice-over guy on the commercial said that event inspired this whole series of Deadliest Catch. I tried watching it, but it was sooo cheesy.

Old July 28th, 2009, 3:06 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Oh, yeah, you're really missing out. It's very interesting and often funny to hear them discuss the show and to see their interactions. I wonder if they will have AtC on the DVDs for this season.
The best was when Edgar came out in a tux and proposed to his wife.

Quote:
Have any of you seen that movie, Deadliest Sea (something like that)? It is the story of a fishing vessel that went down, I think. The voice-over guy on the commercial said that event inspired this whole series of Deadliest Catch. I tried watching it, but it was sooo cheesy.
I saw it was coming on, but I'd rather watch the real thing. Glad I didn't miss anything.

Do you guys watch Design Star on HGTV. It's an interior design competition and the winner gets a show on HGTV. Sunday nights at 10pm. Two people have been eliminated so far. Next week is the supermarket competition. If there's any interest, I'll start a thread.

Old July 28th, 2009, 7:07 am

Quote:
Do you guys watch Design Star on HGTV.
I've never seen it. Is it good?

Did anyone catch tonight's eppy--Behind the Scenes: Season 5? It features the cameramen, but it's all new--none of the stuff from the previous behind the scenes ep. They show what was going on with the camera crew during key events from this season, like the emergency on the Wizard. One of those camera guys is an EMT and helped triage and care for the crew during that. They also feature the greenhorn camera guy on the Cornelia Marie. Some funny stuff there . . . those Harris boys And there's a very near miss of two boats almost crashing That is one of the scariest things I've ever seen on this show. If you didn't catch it, you should try to catch it later this week.

Old July 28th, 2009, 4:24 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I've never seen it. Is it good?
I like it. It's just like Project Runway and Top Chef. You know, the contestants rank on each other, they have a budget and different assignments. The first week, they always have to design their living quarters from bare walls. This past week was a kitchen redesign with the contestants being divided into two teams.

Do you ever watch HGTV? The first season of Design Star was won by David Bromstad who is an artist from Miami. He does absolutely fabulous rooms, and always does an original painting themed to the room.

Maybe I'll just go ahead and start the thread anyway. There are probably some people here who watch it. The next ep comes on Sunday at 10pm. I'll wait until the end of the week.

Quote:
Did anyone catch tonight's eppy--Behind the Scenes: Season 5? It features the cameramen, but it's all new--none of the stuff from the previous behind the scenes ep. They show what was going on with the camera crew during key events from this season, like the emergency on the Wizard. One of those camera guys is an EMT and helped triage and care for the crew during that. They also feature the greenhorn camera guy on the Cornelia Marie. Some funny stuff there . . . those Harris boys And there's a very near miss of two boats almost crashing That is one of the scariest things I've ever seen on this show. If you didn't catch it, you should try to catch it later this week.
Wow, I missed it. I'll have to watch for it to come on again. I'm sure it will. Lucky they had an EMT aboard the Wizard, although I'm guessing the captains and most of the crew are pretty well versed in first aid. There's really no help where these guys go. At least Keith didn't have to deal with it by himself. Those were some pretty serious injuries. When Keith starts calling his brother "Mouse" instead of yelling at him, you know things are bad.

Old July 29th, 2009, 5:32 am

Tonight's finale had me on the edge of my seat. Those coast guard guys are amazing. What a terrible position to be in, just watching and not being able to help. I was so nervous watching that but breathed a sigh of relief at the outcome. And then when that ship nearly rolled over just trying to stay behind the island and get out of the storm? Crazy! That was some serious wind.

Keith's tactics were interesting. Did it seem to anyone else like the crew were getting annoyed with Keith's warnings over the intercom? And that was good making them come inside while he went to the next pot. Although I'm not sure they liked it.

Of course Phil was taking the **** out of Josh when he was trying to throw the hook. But Josh did great. It was also great to see that for once Jake wasn't ribbing Josh about being full share, but actually seemed to be pulling for him in that bet. And it was touching to see Phil give Josh the crab necklace, although Jake had to say some smack about it.

Can't believe that was the finale. I'm so sad. No Catch for a year?

Old July 29th, 2009, 4:19 pm
Registered Animagus

I couldn't post last night because I wanted to avoid having my posts combined.

What a finale. I was actually standing up about a foot from the TV so I wouldn't miss anything.

Quote:
Tonight's finale had me on the edge of my seat. Those coast guard guys are amazing. What a terrible position to be in, just watching and not being able to help. I was so nervous watching that but breathed a sigh of relief at the outcome.
That one guy getting slammed by a wave because he mistimed it definitely had me holding my breath. And the chopper. I thought they were going to get caught by the wind. How they must have felt, standing by so helplessly.

Quote:
And then when that ship nearly rolled over just trying to stay behind the island and get out of the storm? Crazy! That was some serious wind.
Yeah, just when I thought I could relax a bit. All my fingernails are now gone.

Quote:
Keith's tactics were interesting. Did it seem to anyone else like the crew were getting annoyed with Keith's warnings over the intercom? And that was good making them come inside while he went to the next pot. Although I'm not sure they liked it.
What I didn't understand was his seeming change of plan. First, he just wanted to drop off all the pots and then leave them there while he went back in. That made sense. Next thing I know, they're pulling pots in the middle of that storm.

Quote:
Of course Phil was taking the **** out of Josh when he was trying to throw the hook. But Josh did great. It was also great to see that for once Jake wasn't ribbing Josh about being full share, but actually seemed to be pulling for him in that bet. And it was touching to see Phil give Josh the crab necklace, although Jake had to say some smack about it.
That was hilarious. It was so funny watching Phil slowing down, speeding up, doing anything he could to throw him off. Josh took the ribbing well and he pulled it off.

Quote:
Can't believe that was the finale. I'm so sad. No Catch for a year?
We'll just have to watch for the crab marathons.

Sig looked awful, didn't he? He looked like a crusty old fisherman there at the end. I've never seen him look so old and so tired.

We didn't even see Edgar throw out the last flaming hook.

Old July 30th, 2009, 3:41 am

Quote:
We didn't even see Edgar throw out the last flaming hook.
That's right! It was a sort of unusual finale in that way. But we had the excitement of the daring rescues instead.
Quote:
What I didn't understand was his seeming change of plan. First, he just wanted to drop off all the pots and then leave them there while he went back in. That made sense. Next thing I know, they're pulling pots in the middle of that storm.
I don't think Keith ever intended to bring the boat in. He wanted the guys to drop the pots in a hurry and get inside quickly. But they had to stay out there and catch their quota--being such a huge boat, the Wizard's quota must be a lot bigger than some of the other boats. Like the Time Bandit always finishes early because they're a much smaller boat with a smaller quota. Wizard is the biggest boat, but Northwestern and Cornelia Marie also have large quotas.

Old July 30th, 2009, 5:46 am
Professor Emeritus

Hope everyone enjoyed the season, this was my first. I'm heading to Burbank in about three weeks to begin prep for season six. If you have any questions about the show, go ahead and post here or shoot me a PM!

I thread the needle through, you beat the Devil's tattoo.
Old July 30th, 2009, 5:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyPotter View Post
Hope everyone enjoyed the season, this was my first. I'm heading to Burbank in about three weeks to begin prep for season six. If you have any questions about the show, go ahead and post here or shoot me a PM!
Are you involved in making Deadliest Catch??? That's awesome! What do you do on the show?

Old July 30th, 2009, 5:57 am
Professor Emeritus

Yep, I'll be the technical supervisor this season. I prepare all the equipment used on the show, and I rig the boats/set up all the stationary deck/captain cameras as well as the audio. I make sure all the equipment is in working condition and provide assistance where needed. I'm looking to throw myself on a boat if not this season, then perhaps the next one.

Old July 30th, 2009, 5:59 am

Quote:
Yep, I'll be the technical supervisor this season. I prepare all the equipment used on the show, and I rig the boats/set up all the stationary deck/captain cameras as well as the audio. I make sure all the equipment is in working condition and provide assistance where needed. I'm looking to throw myself on a boat if not this season, then perhaps the next one.
Wow, what a great opportunity! I hope you get to be on a boat. You're much braver than I am--I'd be terrified out there in the middle of the Bering Sea.

Old July 30th, 2009, 1:36 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Wow, that is so cool. Compliments to those camera guys. They give us some fabulous shots. The deck cameras, too.

How did you get those underwater shots of Keith? That was amazing. Was that real or was it staged later? I thought it might be staged because the water seemed so clear.

Suggestions for season 6. Freelantzer wants to see more of Josh Harris.

Keep up the good work and congrats on being made technical supervisor.

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:20 am
Professor Emeritus

The underwater shots were definitely real. We had a diver with an underwater camera along with our "Deep Blue" underwater cam attached to a painters pole.

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:44 am

IndyPotter I was wondering are the camera crews just part of the background? I mean if there is a emergency do they just keep on filming or do they try to help out ?

I once herd it said about the camera crews on the Survivor show that they aren't aloud to help out .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:57 am
Professor Emeritus

It's their call. When the Wizard was hit, the producer put the camera down and helped out since he's a trained EMT. Sometimes they'd just get in the way. It's a very fine line the cameramen have to toe.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television