Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Deadliest Catch

Old April 22nd, 2009, 4:43 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: Deadliest Catch

^Oh, that sucks! Last week they replayed the ep on Thursday. Maybe they'll do that this week, too.

It was pretty epic with the ship, Katmai, going down and all. I can't wait to discuss it with you--can't believe they left us hanging on that ending for a whole week! I don't want to say too much and ruin it for you.

The top of the episode was also pretty intense with Keith's head injury. I couldn't help but think about Natasha Richardson when I was watching that. Very scary. Those guys take insane risks every day.

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2009, 4:48 am
Fifth Year

I've only ever seen an episode of this, but my dad's obsessed. I didn't watch beyond one episode because there was this guy from my area that was on one of the boats from that show and died during a storm or something, and it kinda killed my interest in watching it.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 5:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18 View Post
I didn't watch beyond one episode because there was this guy from my area that was on one of the boats from that show and died during a storm or something, and it kinda killed my interest in watching it.
Oh, that's horrible! Yeah, that would kind of take the shine off the show, wouldn't it. It's so awful when a boat goes down and they don't find survivors--those eps are so hard to watch.

Hey, I forgot to mention that they had a special episode of Cash Cab today, right before they showed the recap eppy. The Hansens and Andy Hillstrand and Josh Harris played for charity.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 5:11 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
^Oh, that sucks! Last week they replayed the ep on Thursday. Maybe they'll do that this week, too.
Thanks, I'll watch for it.

Quote:
It was pretty epic with the ship, Katmai, going down and all. I can't wait to discuss it with you--can't believe they left us hanging on that ending for a whole week! I don't want to say too much and ruin it for you.
At least I could hear it. I think just listening and not seeing made it worse. I did find an article on the sinking which tells the whole story. Tragic.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ngboat24m.html

You know, we talk about the fishing boats, but those guys on the choppers and CG rescue boats are amazing. They flew 900 miles into a typhoon, no less, to try to find these guys.

Quote:
The top of the episode was also pretty intense with Keith's head injury. I couldn't help but think about Natasha Richardson when I was watching that. Very scary. Those guys take insane risks every day.
It's just like Phil last year; refusing to go in for medical attention. From what I could tell last week, Keith was pretty badly concussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18 View Post
I've only ever seen an episode of this, but my dad's obsessed. I didn't watch beyond one episode because there was this guy from my area that was on one of the boats from that show and died during a storm or something, and it kinda killed my interest in watching it.
I don't blame you for not watching it. Like they said, one boat doesn't make it back every year. I think last year, the boat that sank had six on board and only one made it back.

I hold my breath a lot, but then I'm happy when things work out. We've gotten to know the captains and crew over the last few years, and they're like old friends.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 5:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I did find an article on the sinking which tells the whole story.
Thanks for posting that. All they showed this week was the tense flight to the distress call, and then the coast guard chopper finding some debris, an empty life raft, and one deceased. That's where it ended. They were continuing to search.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 4:57 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. All they showed this week was the tense flight to the distress call, and then the coast guard chopper finding some debris, an empty life raft, and one deceased. That's where it ended. They were continuing to search.
From the article, so I'll put spoiler tags.

Spoiler: show
So many sad things about this.

It looks like one life raft never inflated fully. Four might have made it into that raft if it had. The other raft had seven, and capsized. That also might not have happened if they could have put some of them in the other raft. When it overturned, only four made it back to the second raft. It's so incredible that the four in the raft survived for 17 hours in that storm.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 7:59 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I got to see the first ep last night I guess we are a week behind everybody else here in Canada . Deadliest Catch is on at 10pm on Tues. night here . I'm a week behind you all.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 23rd, 2009, 9:21 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I got to see the first ep last night I guess we are a week behind everybody else here in Canada . Deadliest Catch is on at 10pm on Tues. night here . I'm a week behind you all.
Tuesday night at 9pm, here. My choice is the DWTS results show or Deadliest Catch. Last week I had to watch the season opener. This week I taped DC and the tape was bad.

The good news is that the episode is being repeated tonight at 10pm.

I think The Discovery Channel does show full episodes, but I don't know how long after the original is aired that they post it.

Old April 25th, 2009, 3:03 am
Registered Animagus

I got to watch the second episode last night. Even though I know what happened to the Katmai from reading the article, I was on the edge of my seat. I guess we'll get the rest of the story next week.

I feel bad for Murray. I hope he finds the crab, soon. I think this is the first time I've seen Time Bandit beat out Northwestern. Now Keith's injured and they haven't pulled in anything either.

I think this week I'll tape the DWTS results show and watch Deadliest Catch.

Old April 26th, 2009, 5:27 am
Formerly Known as 82

I love this show! Friends and I love getting together when they have a marathon of this show. My favorite parts are when they are giving the new guys grief.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:31 am

Quote:
I feel bad for Murray. I hope he finds the crab, soon.
Me too! It seems like the guys are getting frustrated with him. He's doing the best he can filling in for Phil. I hope they cut him some slack.

Old April 29th, 2009, 4:32 am
Registered Animagus

That was absolutely heart-wrenching. It was a hard episode to watch.

That one kid, Jake Gilman, that didn't make it. I didn't hear Sig say anything about him, but I know there was someone named Jake on the Northwestern. I remember when Sig promoted him to deck hand and gave him a Northwestern jacket. If it was the same Jake, I'm sure someone would have said something.

I couldn't believe that the four survivors walked off the Blackhawk on their own. Shows how tough these guys really are.

I was holding my breath when one of the baskets started swinging out of control. I knew the four guys in the raft were saved, but it was still a heart-stopping moment.

Looks like Murray found the crab, thank goodness. Keith, too. I guess he's alright.

Old April 29th, 2009, 5:06 am

^ That episode was heart-breaking. I cried a lot throughout. But it was really nice that they devoted almost an entire episode to the Katmai, paying tribute to her crew, survivors and lost. I've never seen them do that with any other sinking on past seasons.

Quote:
I know there was someone named Jake on the Northwestern. I remember when Sig promoted him to deck hand and gave him a Northwestern jacket. If it was the same Jake, I'm sure someone would have said something.
Jake is still on the Northwestern. He was a greenhorn for a couple of seasons, but he is a deckhand now.

I'm glad Murray has found the crab. They haven't shown the Cornelia Marie much this season. I appreciated hearing that one deckhand tell Jake Harris his personal experiences when his previous ship went down. Amazing that he went through that as a greenhorn and kept fishing. Amazing to hear a first-hand account like that.

I also found it interesting to see what happens when the captain needs a nap. Edgar runs the boat and they keep fishing with a four-man crew! I have actually wondered about that. I mean, the captain is constantly in that chair; it must get really boring. And in between strings, the crew can sometimes catch a catnap, but the captain has to drive (do you say "drive" when referring to a boat?) to the next string. Is it weird that I wonder about the tiny details of stuff like that, stuff that most people would not find interesting? I think it just shows how much I'm into this show, wanting to know all the minor details of how things work on a crab boat. When that pot slipped off the launcher, I was like, "someone forgot to put the dogs on." Yep, I'm really into this show--I know what "dogs" are on a crab boat.

Old April 29th, 2009, 7:53 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
but the captain has to drive (do you say "drive" when referring to a boat?) to the next string. Is it weird that I wonder about the tiny details of stuff like that, stuff that most people would not find interesting? I think it just shows how much I'm into this show,
I thought the term was pilot or Con the ship but I guess drive works too.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:22 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
^ That episode was heart-breaking. I cried a lot throughout. But it was really nice that they devoted almost an entire episode to the Katmai, paying tribute to her crew, survivors and lost. I've never seen them do that with any other sinking on past seasons.
I haven't seen all the seasons, just the last two and now this one. I only remember them showing one survivor of a six (?) man crew, but no follow-up. I think how they handled this really emphasizes the danger these fishermen face every day.

When Keith said that every year, someone doesn't come back, it made me shudder, especially thinking that it might be one of the boats we know.

Quote:
Jake is still on the Northwestern. He was a greenhorn for a couple of seasons, but he is a deckhand now.

Quote:
I'm glad Murray has found the crab. They haven't shown the Cornelia Marie much this season. I appreciated hearing that one deckhand tell Jake Harris his personal experiences when his previous ship went down. Amazing that he went through that as a greenhorn and kept fishing. Amazing to hear a first-hand account like that.
That was scary, too. Not only is he telling the story, but he just kept on working.

Quote:
I also found it interesting to see what happens when the captain needs a nap. Edgar runs the boat and they keep fishing with a four-man crew! I have actually wondered about that. I mean, the captain is constantly in that chair; it must get really boring. And in between strings, the crew can sometimes catch a catnap, but the captain has to drive (do you say "drive" when referring to a boat?) to the next string.
I've seen Andy relieve Jonathan, but I've never seen anybody relieve Phil. I don't think Keith would let his brother relieve him.

Quote:
Is it weird that I wonder about the tiny details of stuff like that, stuff that most people would not find interesting? I think it just shows how much I'm into this show, wanting to know all the minor details of how things work on a crab boat. When that pot slipped off the launcher, I was like, "someone forgot to put the dogs on." Yep, I'm really into this show--I know what "dogs" are on a crab boat.
That's sure something to put on your CV.

Old May 1st, 2009, 2:56 am

I was looking at the Deadliest Catch website and I saw that they had Catch Con last weekend! Fans traveled to Seattle and met the captains. Plus they got to tour a crab boat (I saw the Wizard and the Northwestern in the photographs). I'm sooo jealous! Maybe next year...

Here's the link.

Old May 1st, 2009, 3:19 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I was looking at the Deadliest Catch website and I saw that they had Catch Con last weekend! Fans traveled to Seattle and met the captains. Plus they got to tour a crab boat (I saw the Wizard and the Northwestern in the photographs). I'm sooo jealous! Maybe next year...

Here's the link.
That's got to be so cool. Do you think you'll be able to go next year?

Old May 1st, 2009, 3:22 am

^I don't know . . . I don't really see why I couldn't. I would love to go--I should start saving now.

Old May 1st, 2009, 4:36 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
^I don't know . . . I don't really see why I couldn't. I would love to go--I should start saving now.
Yay!!! Then you can give us a first hand account complete with photos.

Old May 7th, 2009, 1:06 am
Registered Animagus

Murray is my new favorite captain.

Poor Keith. His wheelhouse got invaded by another greenhorn. Surprised he didn't blast the kid.

Not much going on last night. After the drama of the Katmai, everything else paled into insignificance.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television