Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old July 10th, 2018, 7:19 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Just got done watching Kubo and the Two Strings. Loved it. It was a very nice movie. Loved the acting, the cinematography and the artwork. 8/10

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2018, 7:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

Oceans 8 - overall just kinda cute 5/10; I generally don't like movies that lionize criminality without some justification for the crime (as in Les Miserables or original Death Wish). These were just evil greedy women - bleah. Also jewels, especially well-known ones, have become about the least stealworthy things out there, as they are all x-ray etched internally and easily traceable when resold.

A Quiet Place - really well made. if you accept all the premises, then it is really good. 8/10. Loses points for something that really annoys me - in the end
Spoiler: show
they find these auditory superpredators can be shot! Well, why did no one in the whole US of A think of THAT before!?!? Yeah, we have no one who would shoot creatures trying to slaughter everyone! The military and police must have tried to negotiate :eyeroll: And another thing - auditory hunters would be really overwhelmed with all the sound sources in cities, wouldn't they?

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.

Last edited by Dedalus Diggle; July 16th, 2018 at 8:37 pm.
Old July 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Curse Breaker

The superpredators can be shot when their ears are exposed or when they lose orientation. If you shoot at them, even with tank shells at any other time, their outer armor repels it. Why exactly the sound waves from firing guns don't bother them is a mystery, though.

Kubo and the Two Strings is gorgeous animation, a stellar cast, and about 3/4 of an excellent movie. But the ending is just...well, the resolution (as it pertains to the grandfather) is just ruinous.

ETA--And I loved Ocean's 8. Not as strong as the Ocean's 11 remake, but certainly the equal of the sequels with a stellar cast. And I thought most of the crew was both entertaining and sympathetic.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; July 19th, 2018 at 7:00 am.
Old July 18th, 2018, 4:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The superpredators can be shot when their ears are exposed or when they lose orientation. If you shoot at them, even with tank shells, the outer armor repels it. Why exactly the sound waves from firing guns don't bother them is a mystery, though.

Kubo and the Two Strings is gorgeous animation, a stellar cast, and about 3/4 of an excellent movie. But the ending is just...resolution (as it pertains to the grandfather) is just ruinous.

ETA--And I loved Ocean's 8. Not as strong as the Ocean's 11 remake, but certainly the equal of the sequels with a stellar cast. And I thought most of the crew was both entertaining and sympathetic.
Yea...

Spoiler: show
The whole letting him live and lying to him about what he was like... I didn't really like that at all. After all that he'd done. No. He should have just been left to die.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old July 18th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The superpredators can be shot when their ears are exposed or when they lose orientation. If you shoot at them, even with tank shells, the outer armor repels it. Why exactly the sound waves from firing guns don't bother them is a mystery, though.
Are you piecing together this from the movie itself - like post-hoc explanations of idiomatic sayings - or is there some authoritative source?

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old July 19th, 2018, 6:58 am
Curse Breaker

There are clippings in the father's basement work area that I think show aerial and ground attacks, specifically tanks that fail well before the main body of the movie takes place. The thing about the vulnerability to shotgun shells when equilibrium is thrown off by the specific frequency in the daughter's hearing aid is what I can surmise from what I actually watched happen onscreen every time the creatures were close enough to trigger that hearing aid.

Old July 19th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Zonko's Employee

I don't think it was the creature's proximity that set it off, but feedback between the microphone and the hearing aid.

Old July 20th, 2018, 4:49 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

A Wrinkle In Time--visually awesome with some very good acting, especially by Storm Reid. I have to admit it's been ages since I read the book, so I don't recall it well enough to comment on how closely the movie follows it, but I thought that the climax was a little underwhelming (admittedly, I saw it on a screen on an airplane, so it may have needed a bigger screen to really shine), and there were some moments in the film that moved a little slow. Overall I liked it, despite some minor flaws.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old July 21st, 2018, 9:51 pm

Finally saw Black Panther. Really liked it. The acting was good, so was the cinematography, the fight scenes and it was worth the watch overall. 8/10

Just saw a Quiet Place. It was ok, but it was so full of plot holes that it could be distracting and the pacing was too slow and plodding at points. 4/10

Old July 22nd, 2018, 10:07 pm
Curse Breaker

Proximity set it off three times before they used the microphone. Once in the field, once in the silo, and once in the basement.

I REALLY wanted to like A Wrinkle in Time. The total shredding of Dr. Murry was unpardonable and I'm not sure they gained enough with the adoption angle to counterbalance razoring out The Twins and the truths about Meg that her mother is sure of, even if she isn't. The 2000 telefilm was terrible, but at least it made a passable effort of portraying Control and the battle with It. This did neither. *sigh*

Old August 10th, 2018, 12:09 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Mary and the Witch's Flower--saw this one on Netflix. The animation is Miyazaki-style beautiful, with the broom-flying sequences a direct descendant of the flying scenes from Kiki's Delivery Service. The story is entertaining, but after starting with a big adventure scene, it lags for a bit before picking up again. The magical world shown in the movie is never really explained very well, so there's no depth to that aspect, but it allows for some gorgeous whimsical animation. The "bad guys" are presented somewhat inconsistently--sometimes they seem straight-up evil, sometimes just misguided. Overall, it was a pleasantly diverting film, good for family viewing, but not something that's going to stay with me like a Studio Ghibli classic like Kiki's Delivery Service or Spirited Away.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Old August 10th, 2018, 1:40 pm
Zonko's Employee

Won't You Be My Neighbor - 9/10 overall well-crafted, a little meandering, not as hagiographic as some might want it, often a celebration of Fred Rogers's values and approach, apart from just saying them. An interesting set of comments to me came from Francois Clemmons, the gay black man who played the police officer (also named Francois). At one point, he explains how he had gone to a gay bar and had a very good time - details omitted - and when it got around the rumor mill, Rogers told him he could not continue to do that and stay on the show because the sponsors would not condone it. In this age, great opprobrium would have been heaped on anyone telling a gay person this, but there was no hint of criticism. Then later, Clemmons tells how even earlier in their relationship, at the end of taping a segment in which Rogers tells the police office "Francois, I love you just the way you are," he said to Rogers 'Fred, were you talking to me?' - implying to him as a person, not as a character - and Rogers responds "I have been telling you that for three years and you are only now hearing it." Clemmons went on to describe how he had never heard from another man that he was loved and just fine as he is, and from that moment on, Rogers was his substitute father. It puts the gay-bar comments in a whole new perspective, that it was not at all about condemnation of the person. And it illustrates the whole theme of the show very well.

Last edited by Dedalus Diggle; September 20th, 2018 at 2:29 pm.
Old August 15th, 2018, 5:33 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Ant Man and the Wasp--after the serious ending of Avengers: Infinity War, the MCU could certainly use the relatively lighthearted romp that was Ant Man and the Wasp. This movie had several moments that made me laugh out loud, both with the expected sight gags of small things being enlarged and large things shrunk and with several witty lines of dialogue. Paul Rudd does a good job again as Scott Lang/Ant Man, but Evangeline Lily is fantastic as Hope van Dyne/The Wasp, and Michael Pena is a scene-stealer again. The villain is more developed and interesting than in the first Ant Man movie, and the effects they used to put her onscreen were cool. Overall, this was a fun movie, and a welcome bit of humor before we get back to Thanos' Big Badness (Ant Man and the Wasp takes place before Infinity War, so the effects of Thanos' actions don't play out in the movie until the very end--so stay for the end credits scenes).

Old September 3rd, 2018, 9:58 pm

Just saw Deadpool 2 and RBG. Both good films. The latter film especially. Well worth the watch. Loved the humor in Deadpool 2.

RBG is very nicely done. It gives a good picture of her as a person and of the work and the effort she put in over the years.

Deadpool 2 isn't perfect, but it made me laugh a lot and I really liked a lot of the meta humor.

RBG - 9/10

Deadpool 2 -- 7/10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally saw 'Won't you be my Neighbor?'. Loved it. It reminded me of my childhood and that's never bad to keep your inner child and to remember to be kind towards others. I respect him even more now. Making sure to pick this up on dvd. 10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
Won't You Be My Neighbor - 9/10 overall well-crafted, a little meandering, not as hagiographic as some might want it, often a celebration of Fred Rogers's values and approach, apart from just saying them. An interesting set of comments to me came from Francois Clemmons, the gay black man who played the police officer (also named Francois). At one point, he explains how he had gone to a gay bar and had a very good time - details omitted - and when it got around the rumor mill, Rogers told him he could not continue to do that and stay on the show because the sponsors would not condone it. In this age, great opprobrium would have been heaped on anyone telling a gay person this, but there was no hint of criticism. Then later, Clemmons tells how even earlier in their relationship, at the end of taping a segment in which Rogers tells the police office "Francois, I love you just the way you are," he said to Rogers 'Fred, were you talking to me?' - implying to him as a person, not as a character - and Rogers responds "I have been telling you that for three years and you are only mow hearing it." Clemmons went on to describe how he had never heard from another man that he was loved and just fine as he is, and from that moment on, Rogers was his substitute father. It puts the gay-bar comments in a whole new perspective, that it was not at all about condemnation of the person. And it illustrates the whole theme of the show very well.
Exactly. It showed that he cared for him, regardless. People judge way too easy these days and it's good to see that he was one that didn't do that. That he cared for someone just the way they were.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; September 12th, 2018 at 5:55 am.
Old September 20th, 2018, 2:12 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Trolls--it was....cute, I guess. I should preface this by saying that I've never been a fan of troll dolls, so I wasn't predisposed to like it automatically. There were some fun moments, but some of the stuff was so random, like what's the deal with the scrapbooking and why do the Bergens have roller skating? The voice acting was good, and the story had some good messages, but the animation didn't wow me, and I wasn't really impressed by the songs. Overall, I thought it was okay, but I don't see it getting repeat viewings from me. Having said that, there's a woman that I work with who says she loves it, so your mileage may vary.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion