Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:16 am
First Year

Re: Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

I love Harry Potter and am a FANATIC! The HBP is my favorite book in the series and I was psyched to see the movie. There was a lady sitting behind me & my daughters, and she obviously had not read HP or seen any of the movies. When the previews were playing, "Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" showed. Naturally, they showed the part where it said, "From the producer of Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". This lady asked her companion, "Is that the last Harry Potter movie?". She actually thought the preview to Percy Jackson was the last HP movie. During the HBP movie, during Aragog's funeral, she said, "I don't think he's really dead". And when Snape put the Avada Kedavra curse on Dumbledore, she said, "What did he just do?" She didn't know what Avada Kedavra was.

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:28 am
Second Year

Quote:
And when Snape put the Avada Kedavra curse on Dumbledore, she said, "What did he just do?" She didn't know what Avada Kedavra was.
Some random lady at the movies asked me the same thing: it was really funny, and her kid looked hilarious, and tried to act like he didn't know her!
But a few of my friends thought it was okay, although they repeatedly complained "They're too many spells!". They got the gist of the movie though, I think.

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." -Salvador Dali
"Oh, well, I never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!"

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:51 am
Fifth Year

My Mum was amazed by Snape when he killed Dumbledore: "Wh...what?! I thought he was a good guy!"

After the film, she was saying, "I'm sure, there's something more to Snape...there is, I know it!"

Spoiler: show
She hasn't read Deathly Hallows yet, so I didn't let her know how right she was!

We also both loved Rickman's delivery of a line that comes after Harry accuses Malfoy of cursing Katie Bell, by saying: "I just know it was him."

Cue Rickman's voice, laden with sarcasm, "You just... know."

Old August 21st, 2010, 11:54 am
Banned

I went with my friend who hadn't read the books in years, so he couldn't remember a thing apart from Dumbledore's death. He enjoyed the film and understood it with no problem at all.

When the series is finished and people sit down and watch them all back to back, it would be easier to understand what is going on because the ending of HP7 would have been complete.

Old August 21st, 2010, 1:50 pm
First Year

I went with my mum, she loved it
Kept asking me about all the characters and who was who xD

Old August 21st, 2010, 3:16 pm
First Year

Noone in my family has read the books so the hour long journey home was really interesting.... question after question... not that I minded they think i'm smart with my HP knowlegde . They all knew that Dumbledore died and that Snape killed him and everyone apart from my dad knew the reason behind Snapes killing (but they don't know the full 'Snape is a good guy' thing.... what I don't want to tell them everything)
It was interesting that my dad interpritated Dumbledore's "Severus... Please" as a plea for him not to kill him... If that makes sense. Not for him to actually kill him (Wow... I'm confusing myself) but I guess to Non-readers then thats how it is meant to be seen.
It was funny in the inferni cave though, ya know the part where the inferni grabs Harry's hand... my mum jumped so much that she actually hit some random women in the face!!!!!!!! It was hillariuos.

Just realised did anyone eles think that the scene in DD's office with the Horcrux talk had a massive 'Harry-is-a-horcrux' spoiler? You know when Dumbledore says something like 'Making a horcrux... leaves traces' - looking meaninfully at Harry's scar, he touches the ring, it spins, harry's scar hurts... I think, and then there is a shot of Voldemort.
None of my family noticed it until the second time around, but I thought that to an attentive Non-reader it was a BIG give away (an intentinal one though)...

30 seconds to mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXJpeNcQCs The best week of my life!

Last edited by faithy; August 21st, 2010 at 3:19 pm. Reason: adding something
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:59 am
First Year

I really believe that the books should be read before anyone watches the movies. There are tons of gaps that can only be filled if you already know what's going to happen. My dad couldn't figure out what the importance was of snape killing dumbledore instead of draco. (I managed to explain the entire plot of the 7th book. It took me an hour not joking!! )

Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon, doesn't mean we all have!"~ Hermione Granger

Rufus Scrimgeour: "Was it because Dumbledore believed that only the sword of Godric Gryffindor could defeat the Heir of Slytherin? Did he wish to give you that sword, Potter, because he believed, as do many, that you are the one destined to destroy He Who Must Not Be Named?"
Harry Potter: "Interesting theory. Has anyone ever tried sticking a sword in Voldemort?"

Harry- "Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?"
Ron- "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking"
Old August 27th, 2010, 4:45 am
First Year

My dad watched HBP without me! We had just bought the movie and I had to work, so when I came home he's like "That was a great movie!" But he doesn't believe that Snape actually killed Dumbledore.
He told me "wait until the next movie, and you'll see that he's not really dead!" lol...I even showed him DH, and he still doesn't believe it!

Proud to be a Slytherin!

Look like the innocent flower,
But be the serpent under it.
--Lady Macbeth, Act I, scene v

Last edited by Demonikka; August 27th, 2010 at 4:45 am. Reason: because I can
Old July 20th, 2015, 3:16 am
Second Year

I thought this was really funny.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton...end#.khWmgEvpK

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies