Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella

The Threat to Camelot

Old July 31st, 2010, 7:52 pm
First Year

The Threat to Camelot

Part 1: Mercy1

Chase Johnson was used to abnormalities. After all, his stepbrother was a wizard, his step mom was a shape-shifting fairy, his aunt was a murderous, magical lunatic, and his dad was a mime for a while. But, he never could have guessed the adventure that awaited him, next.2

Chase was walking home from school one day. He was thinking about his terrible day… Another terrible day, but a usual day… It started out normally, not good, but normally. His two year old stepbrother, David, ripped his homework, again. He hated David. Ever since he entered Chase’s life, everything was difficult. Everyone thought he was weird and everyone disliked him for that, but it wasn’t he that was weird, but his family. He thought about that for a minute. Why did everyone dislike him, just because his family was so weird? 3

He went back to thinking about his day. His mom left without making him breakfast or lunch, and he didn’t have any money to get lunch at school. Once again, he thought, very normal, mom hates me. When he got to school, he was late, because he had to make himself breakfast. He walked into his first class, and was immediately sent to the principal’s office. Chase hated school, but only because everyone hated him. Later, in math class, he was given a zero on a test for “cheating.” One of the other students was copying answers off of Chase’s test and he told her that she needed to stop cheating off of him, because this kid, Sam, always cheated off of him. Mrs. Hermendez snapped. She crumpled up his paper and gave him a zero.4

Chase hated that everyone hated him: his teachers, his mom, his whole family, and his classmates… Everyone.5

Chase walked angrily into his building. He went up the stairs to his apartment, 311 C. When he walked in, his anger evaporated into fear. A tall lady in a long black dress stood with her back to him, in the corner, but she wasn’t a normal lady, she had large grey wings that looked like those of a butterfly, only much, much larger and gray. Even with her back to him, Chase could see the golden blade of the scythe she held. He noticed his brother cowering on the ground below her. She pointed her scythe at David. 6

Chase couldn’t help but yell at this lady, for he knew who she was.7

“Aunt Mercy, pick on someone your own size!” 8

Chase had not thought that through at all. Mercy spun on the heals of her fancy, black shoes. Her curly, gray hair flipped against the back of her head. Her golden eyes glared at Chase, cruelly, like they had so many times before. But this time, it was different they weren’t just filled with hatred, but intent to kill.9

“You dare, speak to your aunt like that? Do you want to die?” 10

She didn’t expect him to answer, or even process the questions. She slashed at his head, with her scythe. He dodged, but not quickly enough to prevent losing a large clump of red-blonde hair. He ran around her, ducking under a second slash but not managing to avoid a shove from her other hand. He went skidding into the wall, next to his brother. Mercy turned on them. Her blood-red amulet glowed, as if it were on fire. The blade of her scythe shrunk into the staff and the staff shrunk to become a small, wooden stick, a wand.11

“You insignificant little brats!” Mercy screeched. “I will end you!” 12

She pointed her wand right at them and began to chant an incantation under her breath.13

The apartment lit up with a bright pink and green flash. Chase and David couldn’t see a thing. Chase wondered if they were dead. But as the light faded, they saw Mercy standing there, on the other side of their apartment, a look of shock on her face. Where her wand had been, she now held a pile of ashes. Her dress was burnt and torn in several place. Quickly her shock turned to rage. Her hands lit up with, what appeared to Chase, to be some kind of yellow energy… Lightning maybe. Her hands crackled and glowed with the blinding, yellow energy.14

Her hair began to stand up and wave wildly behind her. She began to cackle madly. She slowly walked towards them, holding her hands out in their direction, and swaying back and forth, in a drunken, dangerous manner. As she neared the two boys, however, another smaller blast of pink knocked her down.15

Chase looked up to see a large whole in the ceiling of the apartment. Another fairy floated, gracefully through the hole in the ceiling. This one was slightly taller and wore a long pink dress and a sparkly silver tiara, for she was the queen of all fairies, Fyre. Her large pink wings flapped quietly. She touched down, elegantly. She wielded a silver staff with a ball of swirling pink energy at the end. The haughty monarch flipped her golden-blonde hair out of her bright, blue eyes. 16

She pointed her staff at Mercy, as she stood up. “You’re under arrest, in the name of the High Mage Council and my grandmother, Sally, the Head of the H.M.C!”17

Mercy laughed as she looked at her cousin. “Rot in Hades, you stupid old fool!” Mercy yelled at her queen. 18

“Old?” Fyre questioned.19

Mercy rose to her feet, her hair wild like fire. She began to laugh wickedly again. Her hands glowed and crackled with lightning. She got into a fighting stance and chopped through the air, creating an arc of lightning, suspended in air. She punched through the arc of lighting, sending it racing towards Fyre. The arc created a screeching noise that forced Chase and his brother to cover their ears. 20

With a single flap of her wings, Fyre eluded the lightning. She touched down, as the lightning hit the wall behind her, creating a large explosion. Fyre quickly retaliated with a blast of pink light from her staff. As the blast got bigger, it turned into a steady beam that shot towards Mercy. 21

Just before the beam hit Mercy, she snapped her fingers and a black void appeared below her. She stood above it, emotionless and sank into it. The black hole disappeared and the pink beam destroyed the floor there. Another black portal appeared behind Fyre. Mercy slowly rose from it and it disappeared. With the same emotionless attitude, she conjured a wand. She pointed the wand at her cousin. 22

Fyre spun around, just as Mercy yelled the incantation “Malvado Mas!” A spiraling ball of dark energy began to form at the tip of her wand. All light was sucked from the room. The light slowly returned and Chase saw Fyre fall unconscious, to the floor. 23

Mercy turned on her nephews, cowering in the corner. “And now,” she began with a cruel laugh, “I will destroy you stupid brats!” 24

She walked towards the boys, her wand ready. “Prepare to die!” 25

“I non’t want to die, Chase, dat be berry bad!” David cried out. 26

“You’re the wizard! DO SOMETHING! “Chase yelled.27

Mercy began to chant a vile incantation under her breath in a snake-like whisper. A thin beam of black energy flowed towards the boys. Suddenly, a large boulder landed in front of the beam. The beam subsided and the rock exploded. “Damn it!” Mercy screeched. She spun on her heals, and came face to face with an earth fairy. Her small top and shiny skirt sparkled, and matched her bright green wings. Her chestnut hair covered one of her hazel eyes.28

“Hey, cuz!” Illian said sarcastically as she pushed her evil cousin onto the ground. Mercy jumped to her feet and grabbed at thin air, with one hand until a ball of lightning appeared in her hand. She began to swing her arm back and forth. The ball of lightning flattened out and slowly got longer and longer until she held a long whip made entirely of lightning. 29

She started to whip at Illian. The Earth fairy flapped her tiny wings and took to the air. Mercy continued whipping, starting fires and destroying the apartment. The whip hit Chase and David, knocking them unconscious.30

Chase awoke, and he was lying on a sidewalk next to his brother. He felt really weak. Everything hurt. He couldn’t sit up, so he just lay there and watched the battle unfold. Mercy was standing in the street and whipping at Illian again. She flew back up into the air. Illian started sending blasts of green energy and rocks in Mercy’s direction.31

She lashed at the oncoming attacks with her whip, destroying them. Mercy lashed through a rock, towards Illian. Illian dodged, but Mercy jerked her whip, sending a blast of lightning, crashing into Illian’s wing. She slammed into the ground and tried to fly back into the air, but she couldn’t, because it was too painful. Illian flicked her wand at Mercy, trying to handcuff her, but she dodged the magic.32

Mercy’s eyes flared with anger. She began to rapidly flap her large wings, creating a gust that blew Illian back across the street. In a very calm voice, Mercy said, “burn in Tartarus, Cuz!” She began to disappear bit by bit, but Illian flicked her wand at her, and she reappeared.33

Illian, with her wand still pointed, yelled “Terrestry!” Sharp leaves, pieces of bark, and rocks shot from the tip of her wand. Mercy waved her hand in an arc shape, creating a force field, protecting her entire front. But, as the projectiles hit the force field, parts of it would shatter.34

It took all of Mercy’s concentration to protect herself, however, Illian couldn’t hold the spell forever. Illian made an impulsive decision. She dropped her wand, breaking the spell, and darted towards Chase and David.35

Illian reached the boys a second before Mercy did. They started to disappear. Mercy slashed at Illian’s head but it was too late. The trio was gone. 36

“Damn you, Illian! Damn you to Tartarus!” Mercy screeched demonically as she sunk to her knees. 37

Chase, David, and Illian reappeared in a large room. A long, blood red carpet took up the majority of the room, and on either side of the magnificent carpet were ornate, Greek-style pillars. The room was pretty barren, however, at the very end of the carpet sat two huge, intricate thrones: one bright pink and encrusted with many colorful jewels, and one slightly smaller and green. 38

The green one was very old and covered in vines and roots. Behind the thrones was a huge tapestry, depicting an ancient battle between two of David’s ancestors. On the opposite end of the carpet were giant, medieval, stone doors. 39

Illian led Chase across the scarlet carpet. She told them to have a seat. Chase sat in Illian’s green thrown. David sat in Fyre’s pink thrown. 40

“Are you okay?” Illian asked kindly. 41

“I think so,” Chase responded.42

“We is hurted,” David complained. 43

“Don’t worry,” Illian said. She flicked her wand at them and all their wounds were instantaneously healed. 44

“Thanks,” Chase said.45

“Dank you berry much!” David said.46

“You’re welcome,” Illian replied, kindly. 47

“Why does Mercy want to kill us?” Chase asked abruptly. 48

Illian thought about it for a few seconds and then replied, “I don’t know, my best guess is that she is trying to prevent you from preventing her.”49

“Preventing her from what?” Chase asked.50

Illian stood pondering for another few seconds. “Umm, I have to admit, I’m not sure, but I am sure that she’s up to something and she wants you and your brother out of the way. Maybe—“ 51

Illian was cut off by a blaring alarm that lasted about five seconds. Before anyone could ask what the alarm meant, Fyre and another light fairy ran in. Fyre announced that a spy was in the building and that they were in a ‘Code Red Lock Down.’ Fyre flicked her wand and the cracks in the doors were magically sealed so no one could get in or out. As soon as the doors were sealed, the other light fairy turned on Fyre and knocked her out with a large club that she conjured.52

The light fairy’s disguise faded and Mercy was standing there. She ran towards the boys and jerked them out of the thrones. A blue veil appeared around them and they all disappeared before Illian could do anything.53

Sorry about the paragraph numbers. I coppied/pasted from a story sharing website that I have it on, and my iPad won't let me scroll up to get rid of them. :/

Part 2: Camelot1

Chase woke up, although he wasn’t really aware that he had been sleeping. As he started to wake up, he realized everything hurt. He hadn’t been sleeping. He was knocked out. Suddenly, he wondered what happened to David. He could only see with blurred vision. He was in a room. He could see three blurry figures walking around him. He could here voices. He thought he herd two women and a man. 2

“Is he awake?” The man’s voice asked.3

“I think he is. Can thou hear us? Nod if thou can hear us,” the voice of a woman said.4

Chase tried to, but he couldn’t. The next thing he knew, he was waking up again. This time he felt much better and he could see clearly, but only one figure stood in front of him.5

He appeared to be lying in a hospital bed, although, it seemed to be old-fashioned. He looked over and saw David sitting in the bed next to him. It was a small room and appeared to be made of stone. He looked to the figure standing by his bed. He was an older man, decked in full battle armour (minus a helmet) and a golden crown. He had long blonde hair and deep blue eyes. 6

“Breakfast, squire?” he asked in a clearly British accent.7

Chase was not hungry, in fact his stomach felt very unsettled. 8

“No, thanks. I’m good.” 9

“I would expect, time travel will do that to thee. Last time I time traveled, I couldn’t eat for a week,” the old man said with a laugh.10

“Wait? Time travel? Where am I?” Chase asked.11

“Not where, when,” the man said wisely. “The 10th century is when thou art, squire. The answer, however, to where thou art is Camelot, my good man.”12

“Camelot? Then you must be King Arthur!” Chase said.13

“Why yes, yes, I am! Has thou heardith tales of me?”14

“Yes, you became King when you pulled Excalibur from the stone!”15

“My sword? Excalibur? Thou hasth been told lies about my life. I was crowned king, because my father was king before me. I was coronated because of birthright, and nothing more. I made Excalibur, myself, squire,” King Arthur explained.16

“Oh, I see. So do you know how we got here?” Chase asked.17

“Alas, squire, no. I was wondering that myself, just a moments prior. I’m afraid, I must take my leave now, but our head nurse, Sharon, should be along in a moment.”18

“Okay, it was good meeting you.”19

“Thou, as well, my good man,” King Arthur said as he turned and walked out. 20

Chase sat there for a while staring into the empty hallway, thinking about what to do. How would they get back home? What should they do? Eventually the nurse, Sharon, entered the infirmary. She asked Chase if he was okay, and he told her that he was. 21

As she was tending to his wounds, Chase looked around the room. He noticed that he and David weren’t the only people in the hospital beds. There were 4 knights in the other beds, sleeping.22

“How were those knights wounded?” Chase questioned.23

“Oh, they were all wounded on the front. It's so sad. One of them has a concussion and might not recover.” The nurse replied.24

“Are you at war?” Chase asked.25

“Well, I would say yes, although The King thinks otherwise, and it’s not my place to say. The King says we are just fighting some barbarian groups of dark fairies, but in my opinion, they have a leader, a government, and a hideout. But the King is usually right so…”26

“Why do you think they have a leader?”27

“They just seem far to organized. And all of those stories, ever since I’ve been little, I’ve heard stories about a ruthless dark fairy queen who rules a far away land. And I think—“28

As an earth fairy walked in, Sharon dropped to her knees in a bow, and quit talking. 29

“Hazel, my liege, I meant no disrespect.”30

“I didn’t even hear what thou said, but I wouldn’t tell The King, anyway,” she said with a laugh.31

“Thank thee, Miss Hazel,” she said, as she slipped out.32

“Who are you?” Chase asked.33

“I am King Arthur’s royal adviser, Hazel. My family has been serving this court for years. I live here with my three sisters, Amethyst, Emerald, and Ruby. Amethyst, Emerald and I lead the Earth Fairy Army. It’s our job to help the knights beat the dark fairy rebels. My other sister, Ruby, is a healer. She heals the injured knights and earth fairies,” Hazel responded.34

“Oh, I see. So do you know how I got to this place, or rather this time?” Chase asked, still wondering how he would leave this time.35

After several seconds of thinking Hazel softly replied, “Alas, I, as The King, do not know how ye got here.” She paused for a few more seconds. My sisters, however, are the ones who found thee. Maybe, they can help thee. I will run and fetch them.”36

Before Chase could say anything else, Hazel promptly turned and walked out. 37

Chase sat there for about ten minutes. He looked over at his brother. He was so small, and yet, so powerful. He wondered if his brother had been the one to transport him here. For a second he worried about what his mom was thinking and how much trouble he’d be in when and if he returned, but then he realized, it was time travel, he could be back home before he left, not that it would make a difference, all his days were the same, terrible.38

Maybe it would be more fun, more exciting if he stayed here. It couldn’t hurt, he thought. Anything was better than his life. He hated magic, before he knew about magic, or fairies, or time travel, his life was great. He was rich, or his dad was anyway. He lived in a huge house in New York, and never got bored. Although, he thought, he still never had friends, even when he was rich. He never had friends.39

Chase had been so focused on thinking that he hadn’t noticed that Hazel had returned with her two sisters, Amethyst and Emerald. Amethyst was shorter than her elder two sisters. She had short brown hair and green eyes. Her green wings were much smaller than those of her sisters. She wore a long purple dress, fitting of her name and birthstone. 40

Emerald, on the other hand, was very tall. She was taller than both of her sisters. Her, hair, in contrast to her sister’s, was blonde and incredibly long. It was so long, in fact, that whenever she sat, she would sit on it. She, like her sisters, had green eyes. Emerald wore a dress, almost identical to Amethyst’s; only it was green rather than purple. Hazel looked slightly out of place, in her shorter green and brown dress and tiara made from a stick and some leaves.41

“So he’s finally awake,” Emerald said as the three sisters reached Chase’s bed.42

“He’s kind of cute. I rather fancy him,” Amethyst said quietly to Emerald, quietly, but not quietly enough for Chase not to hear. He blushed but ignored the comment.43

“Focus,” Hazel said to Amethyst.44

“Sorry, sis,” she replied.45

“Anyway, as I was saying, we have no idea how he got here in this place and time. Where did ye find these two boys, exactly, sisters?” Hazel said.46

“Well, Amethyst started, “we were patrolling the grounds when we saw a sparkle of light, off in the distance, towards the river…”47

Emerald picked up where Amethyst stopped, “and so naturally, we flew over to see what was going on. We saw a dark fairy flying off in the distance and we found a toddler just lying on the ground, unconscious…”48

Amethyst started again, “yeah and then we saw, the cute one lying on the ground across the river. Emerald made me take the baby back to the castle and she went and got Chase…”49

As Amethyst said, “the cute one,” Chase blushed, again.50

Emerald picked up, “so, I went over to Chase and found his school I.D., and that’s how I knew both his name and the fact that he was from the future. So I returned with him to the castle. I showed him to King Arthur, who instructed me to bring him here, to the infirmary. “51

“Awe, I see,” said Hazel. “What make thou of this Chase?”52

“Well,” Chase started, “the fairy you talked about must have been my aunt, Mercy.”53

“Oh, so she’s a friend of thy?” The sisters asked in unison.54

“No, quite the opposite, really. She was attacking us, and I remember her grabbing us, and the next thing I knew, I was here.”55

Emerald thought for a second before speaking. “So thou think, thine aunt, brought thee here?”56

“Well yes, I guess so,” Chase said.57

“That makes sense,” the three sisters said at once.58

Suddenly, Sharon returned. “I’m sorry my ladies, but he is still very weak and must rest. Ye may return tomorrow.”59

“Very, well,” Hazel said. She and Emerald left.60

“Bye, sweetie,” Amethyst said and followed her sisters. Chase blushed, a third time. 61

He spent the rest of his time thinking and lying there, until night.62

Here's part 2 :

Chase woke up, although he wasn’t really aware that he had been sleeping. As he started to wake up, he realized everything hurt. He hadn’t been sleeping. He was knocked out. Suddenly, he wondered what happened to David. He could only see with blurred vision. He was in a room. He could see three blurry figures walking around him. He could here voices. He thought he herd two women and a man. 2

“I think he is. Can thou hear us? Nod if thou can hear us,” the voice of a woman said.4

Chase tried to, but he couldn’t. The next thing he knew, he was waking up again. This time he felt much better and he could see clearly, but only one figure stood in front of him.5

He appeared to be lying in a hospital bed, although, it seemed to be old-fashioned. He looked over and saw David sitting in the bed next to him. It was a small room and appeared to be made of stone. He looked to the figure standing by his bed. He was an older man, decked in full battle armour (minus a helmet) and a golden crown. He had long blonde hair and deep blue eyes. 6

“I would expect, time travel will do that to thee. Last time I time traveled, I couldn’t eat for a week,” the old man said with a laugh.10

“Not where, when,” the man said wisely. “The 10th century is when thou art, squire. The answer, however, to where thou art is Camelot, my good man.”12

“My sword? Excalibur? Thou hasth been told lies about my life. I was crowned king, because my father was king before me. I was coronated because of birthright, and nothing more. I made Excalibur, myself, squire,” King Arthur explained.16

“Alas, squire, no. I was wondering that myself, just a moments prior. I’m afraid, I must take my leave now, but our head nurse, Sharon, should be along in a moment.”18

Chase sat there for a while staring into the empty hallway, thinking about what to do. How would they get back home? What should they do? Eventually the nurse, Sharon, entered the infirmary. She asked Chase if he was okay, and he told her that he was. 21

As she was tending to his wounds, Chase looked around the room. He noticed that he and David weren’t the only people in the hospital beds. There were 4 knights in the other beds, sleeping.22

“Oh, they were all wounded on the front. It's so sad. One of them has a concussion and might not recover.” The nurse replied.24

“Well, I would say yes, although The King thinks otherwise, and it’s not my place to say. The King says we are just fighting some barbarian groups of dark fairies, but in my opinion, they have a leader, a government, and a hideout. But the King is usually right so…”26

“They just seem far to organized. And all of those stories, ever since I’ve been little, I’ve heard stories about a ruthless dark fairy queen who rules a far away land. And I think—“28

As an earth fairy walked in, Sharon dropped to her knees in a bow, and quit talking. 29

“I didn’t even hear what thou said, but I wouldn’t tell The King, anyway,” she said with a laugh.31

“I am King Arthur’s royal adviser, Hazel. My family has been serving this court for years. I live here with my three sisters, Amethyst, Emerald, and Ruby. Amethyst, Emerald and I lead the Earth Fairy Army. It’s our job to help the knights beat the dark fairy rebels. My other sister, Ruby, is a healer. She heals the injured knights and earth fairies,” Hazel responded.34

“Oh, I see. So do you know how I got to this place, or rather this time?” Chase asked, still wondering how he would leave this time.35

After several seconds of thinking Hazel softly replied, “Alas, I, as The King, do not know how ye got here.” She paused for a few more seconds. My sisters, however, are the ones who found thee. Maybe, they can help thee. I will run and fetch them.”36

Chase sat there for about ten minutes. He looked over at his brother. He was so small, and yet, so powerful. He wondered if his brother had been the one to transport him here. For a second he worried about what his mom was thinking and how much trouble he’d be in when and if he returned, but then he realized, it was time travel, he could be back home before he left, not that it would make a difference, all his days were the same, terrible.38

Maybe it would be more fun, more exciting if he stayed here. It couldn’t hurt, he thought. Anything was better than his life. He hated magic, before he knew about magic, or fairies, or time travel, his life was great. He was rich, or his dad was anyway. He lived in a huge house in New York, and never got bored. Although, he thought, he still never had friends, even when he was rich. He never had friends.39

Chase had been so focused on thinking that he hadn’t noticed that Hazel had returned with her two sisters, Amethyst and Emerald. Amethyst was shorter than her elder two sisters. She had short brown hair and green eyes. Her green wings were much smaller than those of her sisters. She wore a long purple dress, fitting of her name and birthstone. 40

Emerald, on the other hand, was very tall. She was taller than both of her sisters. Her, hair, in contrast to her sister’s, was blonde and incredibly long. It was so long, in fact, that whenever she sat, she would sit on it. She, like her sisters, had green eyes. Emerald wore a dress, almost identical to Amethyst’s; only it was green rather than purple. Hazel looked slightly out of place, in her shorter green and brown dress and tiara made from a stick and some leaves.41

“So he’s finally awake,” Emerald said as the three sisters reached Chase’s bed.42

“He’s kind of cute. I rather fancy him,” Amethyst said quietly to Emerald, quietly, but not quietly enough for Chase not to hear. He blushed but ignored the comment.43

“Anyway, as I was saying, we have no idea how he got here in this place and time. Where did ye find these two boys, exactly, sisters?” Hazel said.46

“Well, Amethyst started, “we were patrolling the grounds when we saw a sparkle of light, off in the distance, towards the river…”47

Emerald picked up where Amethyst stopped, “and so naturally, we flew over to see what was going on. We saw a dark fairy flying off in the distance and we found a toddler just lying on the ground, unconscious…”48

Amethyst started again, “yeah and then we saw, the cute one lying on the ground across the river. Emerald made me take the baby back to the castle and she went and got Chase…”49

Emerald picked up, “so, I went over to Chase and found his school I.D., and that’s how I knew both his name and the fact that he was from the future. So I returned with him to the castle. I showed him to King Arthur, who instructed me to bring him here, to the infirmary. “51

“Well,” Chase started, “the fairy you talked about must have been my aunt, Mercy.”53

“No, quite the opposite, really. She was attacking us, and I remember her grabbing us, and the next thing I knew, I was here.”55

Emerald thought for a second before speaking. “So thou think, thine aunt, brought thee here?”56

Suddenly, Sharon returned. “I’m sorry my ladies, but he is still very weak and must rest. Ye may return tomorrow.”59

“Bye, sweetie,” Amethyst said and followed her sisters. Chase blushed, a third time. 61

Here's part 2, enjoy:

Here's part 2, enjoy:

Last edited by HDVB; August 1st, 2010 at 4:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella