View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Ender's Game and related series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
For anyone looking for more into ender's realm I have read the full series. ender's shadow is a great read if you like parallel novels from another perspective, i thought writing from beans perspective was really interesting. That whole "shadow" series i enjoyed immensely but it did get very political at times with peter and some of the other battle school grads, but it is good to see he outgrows his fierce mean streak.
Ok, I'm going to try Ender's Shadow. I'd like to see the parallel to Ender's Game. I'll chime back in when I'm done.

Quote:
I read it for the first time at 15 or 16 and thought it was appropriate for me at the time, however i always had a slightly below average reading level growing up. I would definitely classify it as YA even though it didnt really exist when this book was written. The standard rule is the age range for the book is usually geared at the age of the main character in the story, but this is not a hard fast rule and probably isnt the case because this was written before ya really existed like it does today, and also taking into account that the main character is a child genius. So that in mind depending on the reader id say 12-13 is probably the youngest if they are an advanced reader. But im certainly not an expert there.
I always ask because I have a 9 year old who is an advanced reader. She can take complicated plots and subplots and a wide range of vocabulary, but the content has to be right. For example, she can read Twilight and understand it, but I think as a 9 year old the content is not something she should be delving into (the romance aspect, in particular).

I know Ender starts off as a 6 year old, but he always seems about 11 to me. I guess that's the genius part coming into play. For a 9 year old, she would get the battle school part, but I don't think she'd understand the political commentary that Valentine and Peter engage in.