View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:54 pm
Ordo Lebes

Re: Hufflepuff House: Character Analysis

Quote:
1. JKR describes the character of the house emblem, the Badger, as an animal that is often underestimated, because it lives quietly until attacked, but which, when provoked, can fight off animals much larger than itself, including wolves.. What, if anything, does this tell you about those members of Hufflepuff house that we know. Does it fit them?
I think it does. In the Battle of Hogwarts, Hufflepuffs were the second largest group to stay behind and fight. I think Hufflepuffs are strongest in numbers: they stick together, and they're very concerned about their peers; the fact that one of their traits is loyalty, and that Helga Hufflepuff wanted to teach everyone just the same, shows that there's a strong sense of community, and so they can defeat more powerful enemies by rallying together.

Quote:
2. According to the welcoming letter, Hufflepuff house has produced the lowest number of Dark Wizards, why do you think this is?
Doesn't surprise me. Dark Wizards are almost always seeking power; Hufflepuff traits are fair play, loyalty, hard work, and tolerance, which aren't things I'd associate with power-seeking. It's not that you can't have "bad" Hufflepuffs, it's that the personality types in Hufflepuff just wouldn't really tend to seek out dark magic, even if they were bad people, IMO.

Quote:
3. Until now, we received little info on how Hufflepuffs view other houses. Puffs and Ravenclaws seem to have had some conflicts. Which house is in your view the most compatible with Hufflepuff characterwise?
Pottermore confirmed what I'd imagined in that Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors got on the best. They have their differences but their outlooks are similar. In contrast, Gryffindors and Slytherins are alike in many ways, but their outlooks are opposite, which I think is why they constantly fight. In any case, I'm glad Pottermore said as much, because I'm a Gryffindor and my other favourite house is Hufflepuff.

Quote:
6. Hufflepuff has always been described as being the house that takes the left-overs. But now we know Hufflepuff has been home to several important wizards. Has the new information changed your view of Hufflepuff House?
It hasn't changed my view. I never thought the Sorting Hat meant Hufflepuff took the left-overs, but that they didn't discriminate. That's actually not a very common trait. I think to earn a place as a real Hufflepuff you would have to be the sort of person who didn't even care about selectiveness. The fact that so many people do care shows how rare Hufflepuffs really are. :P

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Sponsored Links