View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2016, 7:20 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Slytherin House: Character Analysis

1. Slytherin prefect Gemma Farley describes the house emblem, the serpent, as the wisest of creatures. What do you think about this description in light of all we know about Slytherin house?

Sounds about right. Snakes are naturally cautious and prefer to remain unseen until they assess a situation, particularly when there's a threat. If an opportunity arises where they can strike, they will. If they think a tactical retreat is in their best interests, they do. I think that's the essence of Slytherin. Seize opportunities while ensuring self-preservation. It's perfectly reasonable to me.

2. In the welcoming letter Farley speaks about the Dark wizards from the past, long family lineages but also about students with a muggle parent. Do you think JKR has written this particular bit to redeem Slytherin post-DH? Or was there really no problem with halfblood students during the Harry Potter years?

I think the pureblood ideology was largely lip service. The books themselves explain (correctly) that blood purity could not be maintained without the inevitable risk of inbreeding. Perhaps modern Slytherins stated the value of blood purity out of fear from Voldemort? It would certainly be nice if magical society could be maintained without the need for half-bloods and especially without mudbloods, but unfortunately it can't.

3. Merlin, a famous wizard in the wizarding world but also from our own Arthurian legends, was a Slytherin according to JKR. A case of a desperate hatstall by the sorting hat or does it make perfect sense to you?

I can see the logic to it. Slytherin traits are based on ambition, cunning, leadership, and resourcefulness. Merlin would have had these virtues, plus a ruthless instinct that only Slytherin can develop and nurture.

4. Slytherins care about the honour and traditions of their house. Is this solely connected to Quidditch?

Honour? Non-applicable in competitive pursuits. You have to do what you need to do to win. The only tradition that matters is winning.

5. Prefect Farley shows various sides of Slytherin House in her letter, she calls Slytherin: sleek, powerful and often misunderstood. Do you agree with her?

Absolutely. I can only put it down to jealousy and envy.

6. What do you think about the descriptions of other houses in the Slytherin welcome letter? And what do you think about the descriptions of Slytherin House in the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff welcome letters?

Smears! Lies! Misinformation!

I have issues with the other houses.

Gryffindor values bravery and courage. Those things can get you killed. When in doubt, run!

Ravenclaw values intelligence. Without instincts, raw intelligence can be limiting.

Hufflepuff values people who work hard. Personally I don't believe in it. I prefer to work enough.

7. At the end of her letter Farley shows a side of Slytherin we don't often see. She tells us not to judge those students that might not look anything special, because the Sorting Hat sorted them into Slytherin for a reason. Another redeeming quality of Slytherin?

Of course. Looks can be deceiving. Greatness often lies under the surface.

8. Has the new information changed your opinion of Slytherin House?

I always knew Slytherin was the best.

Last edited by AldeberanBlack; July 13th, 2016 at 7:22 pm.
Sponsored Links