View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:04 am
First Year

Re: Slytherin House: Character Analysis

1. Slytherin prefect Gemma Farley describes the house emblem, the serpent, as the wisest of creatures. What do you think about this description in light of all we know about Slytherin house?

I don't think the snake is the smartest of animals. And if they were wise, they would have been sorted into Ravenclaw. I think it was solely a biased statement.

2. In the welcoming letter Farley speaks about the Dark wizards from the past, long family lineages but also about students with a muggle parent. Do you think JKR has written this particular bit to redeem Slytherin post-DH? Or was there really no problem with halfblood students during the Harry Potter years?

There were never problems with halfbloods- Voldemort had a completely muggle father without a hint of magical blood.

3. Merlin, a famous wizard in the wizarding world but also from our own Arthurian legends, was a Slytherin according to JKR. A case of a desperate hatstall by the sorting hat or does it make perfect sense to you?

Do we even know a lot about Merlin, other than he is great. Slytherin was a house of ambition, and Merlin would have definitely needed it to be the greatest. Also, the sorting hat told Harry that Slytherin would help Harry achieve greatness and fame. I think that Merlin in Slytherin actually makes a lot of sense.

4. Slytherins care about the honour and traditions of their house. Is this solely connected to Quidditch?

No, because at that time, Slytherin constantly won the house cup.

5. Prefect Farley shows various sides of Slytherin House in her letter, she calls Slytherin: sleek, powerful and often misunderstood. Do you agree with her?

I can agree with that. Not all slytherins are bad, but it is often thought so. I agree with misunderstood the most.

6. What do you think about the descriptions of other houses in the Slytherin welcome letter? And what do you think about the descriptions of Slytherin House in the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff welcome letters?

This surprised me, as Slytherins and Ravenclaws are quite similar. I certainly expected to see the bashing of Gryffindors, but there was none of that.

7. At the end of her letter Farley shows a side of Slytherin we don't often see. She tells us not to judge those students that might not look anything special, because the Sorting Hat sorted them into Slytherin for a reason. Another redeeming quality of Slytherin?

NO because she bashed Ravenclaw and particularly Hufflepuff about not being significant or normal.

8. Has the new information changed your opinion of Slytherin House?

Yes, it has made me look at it not from harry's perspective, but the way someone would when they just entered Hogwarts.

Let's be friends on Pottermore:
DragonMoonstone16649
Sponsored Links