View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2012, 7:14 am
Fourth Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Not familiar with the song, but has it occurred to you that as he's not an American, it could be just how he pronounces things. As an Australian like Cave I can't tell you how annoying it is to hear Americans mispronounce our cities by emphasising the wrong syllable.
I realize he's not an American (his accent is rather pronounced in the song), but I don't think I've ever heard any Australian (or any English speaker of any dialect, for that matter) say "THUHking DOM" in ordinary speech the way he says it in the song. I mean to say, my capitalization and spacing doesn't do the emphasis justice. It is really jarring.

Keep in mind that he's not saying the name of an actual city, it just sounded to me like he was. He's actually saying "the kingdom."

EDIT: As I say, Alanis Morissette does it too, and she's Canadian. I think this thing, whatever it is, transcends mere nationality. Some singers apparently don't have much trouble playing fast and loose with accenting syllables. Some listeners too.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; August 16th, 2012 at 7:26 am.
Sponsored Links