View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2011, 5:35 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

I think Snape did feel responsible for Lily's murder. I think he did feel he killed her because of his taking the Prophecy to Voldemort who in turn chose Lily. I think I see Snape's culpability and Lily's murder differently.

Snape's responsibility I think was taking a Prophecy to Voldemort with the knowledge that his action would result in a baby's death and it's parents or siblings too. To that extent I think he was responsible.

As a result of that Voldemort targeted Lily. The moment Voldemort did that I think Snape became responsible for Lily being targeted too. I think that was also on his head.

But Snape did not stop there, he ran to Voldemort and requested him to spare Lily's life and then he came to Dumbledore and asked him to protect Lily and the other Potters too. And he came well in time imo.

I think the question for me is when Snape came to Dumbledore did or did he not try his best to repair/undo the damage he did in the first place. I believe he did. Some time later the Potters were betrayed by a man they thought was their friend and Lily died along with James as a result of that betrayal. Was Snape responsible for their deaths at that time? I don't think so.

But I don't think Snape saw it this way; all through his life I think he felt he was responsible for Lily's and James's deaths and his remorse was for that as much as it was for taking the Prophecy to Voldemort in the first place, knowing it would result in the death of a child.

Would Snape continue to be responsible and culpable for his actions even after he undid the mistakes he made? I don't think he was, but I also think Snape did feel responsible.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:

Last edited by The_Green_Woods; February 11th, 2011 at 5:41 pm.
Sponsored Links