View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:33 am
First Year

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

I went to see this movie with my mom, who hadn't read the books at the time, and with my Aunt and cousins, who had read all the books. I've read all the books more than once. Now that you have that background info...

First off, my mom almost fell asleep. Said it was the most boring Potter movie she'd seen, and she LOVES the HP movies. And my Aunt and I discussed everything I'm about to write and agrees with me.

I wouldn't say the movie SUCKED, because it didn't. There were times that I laughed. I really liked when Harry took the Luck potion. It was like he was high or something. Hilarious to me.

The beginning was great, especially with the Death Eaters destroying things. But in my opinion, that was the end of the action. Sad really, since it was only the first ten minutes of the movie.

The rest of the movie seemed to consist of snogging and people being jealous of one another, not to mention scenes that were pointless.

I was so disappointed at the Weasley's home being destroyed. First off, that wasn't in the book and so made it really unnecessary. Not to mention there was enough action in the book itself that they didn't need to add scenes that weren't in the book.

But the ending is what really ticked me off. The ending in the book was so dramatic and climatic. There was an incredible battle scene. Not quite as cool as the seventh book's, but it was pretty awesome. The way Harry reacted when Dumbledore died made me want to cry!
But the movie version was completely edited and a waste of screen time, in my opinion. There was no drama, no climax. There wasn't even fighting except Harry fighting Snape. What the heck happened to all the teachers fighting the Death Eaters? Even some of the students joined in, in the book! That would have been AMAZING to see on the screen! And then Harry's reaction to Dumbledore's death was rather blaise. I mean, his reaction to Sirius' death in the fifth movie was more like how he reacted to Dumbledore's death in the book. Even the way he was holding onto Cedric's body in the fourth movie, when he came back from the graveyard, was more akin to the 6th book then the movie was.

Finally, the way the movie ended was so stupid. It would have been so much better, theatrically, to have Dumbledore's funeral be the ending, and basically using the exact dialogue between Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny that was in the book ending. That would have been a PERFECT ending for the movie, but instead it basically petered out like a dying rat.

I know a lot of people liked this movie, and that's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions. I know plenty enjoyed the romance stuff. I didn't. It was ok, and yes it was in the book, I do remember that. But to me, the romance wasn't the main theme of Half-Blood Prince, and the movie made it seem that it was. The main theme was finding out more about Voldemort's past, which they only focused on a little, and of course Dumbledore's climatic (in the book, not the movie) death and the battle between Harry/the Professor's and Snape/the Death Eaters. But, unfortunately, that was hardly in the movie at all. *sigh* I really, really hope that the seventh and eighth movies are better.

All in all, I'd give it a 2/5.

Sponsored Links