View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2007, 4:30 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: Fan Scripts: Harry Potter Remakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
I decided to compare timings with the 2004-PoA script I have in the same format.

By the time 'The Boy Who Lived' is over, Harry's on the Knight Bus.
Harry meets Ron and Hermione the same time he meets the snake.
Dementors are attacking by the time the Petunia and Vernon finish their talk about the letter.

Though, I always think the beginning of the HP films have been rushed.
I think that scripts can't estimate the time of the movie, cause I just found that CoS's script is shorter than PoA's and CoS/film is longer than PoA.

PS: Where is everyone else, I've posted 3 times in a row! (13 if you include edits)

Edit: The page numbering systems gone kaput. Now that I scroll down, it says 138 of 99 for CoS and 129 of 113 for PoA. They are probably the same (The formatting in the scripts aren't perfect)

Edit 2: I forgot to put this up:

I have finally finished the next HUGE chunk (CH 2 and 3). It was hard. I think it is still a bit too long, but it is nothing like it was when it had Mrs Figg in there.

PS: Dudley's Birthday, The Vanishing Glass, The Letters From No OneDARKNESS

Suddenly a shrill voice is heard.

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Up! Get up! Now!

INT. CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (23/6/1991)

A 10-YEAR-OLD HARRY POTTER wakes. It is heard that Petunia leaves and muddles around in the kitchen.

Harry turns on his side. Through Harry’s P.O.V. muffled visions of a flying motorbike can be seen in front of the wall.

Suddenly, Petunia voice can be heard again.

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Get a move on! I want you to look after the bacon, and don’t you dare let it burn on Duddy's birthday!

Harry groans and falls back onto his bed.

INT. KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (A LITTLE LATER) (23/6/1991)

Harry is now serving the BACON to Vernon and Petunia (both in their 30s). DUDLEY DURSLEY, an obese, blond, 11-year-old, is finishing counting the presents, but is displeased.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Thirty-six. That’s two less than last year.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Darling, you haven’t counted Auntie Marge’s present.

She points to the smallest present.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
All right, thirty-seven then.

Dudley gets angry. His hands are both on the table. Harry takes his plate to the kitchen and eats there. Petunia speaks in a rush, improvising

PETUNIA DURSLEY
And we’ll buy you another two presents while we’re out today. How’s that, popkin?

Dudley looks like he is concentrating really hard.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
So I’ll have thirty … thirty…

PETUNIA DURSLEY
...nine, sweetums

He is happy, so he begins to unwrap his presents. Vernon chuckles. The. TELEPHONE suddenly RINGS. Petunia goes to answer it.

VERNON DURSLEY
Little tyke wants his money’s worth, just like his father. 'Atta boy, Dudley!

He ruffles Dudley’s hair, but Dudley isn't paying attention. He has just unwrapped a REMOTE CONTROL AEROPLANE and has dived for another present.

None of the telephone conversation is heard. Harry just continues eating and Dudley rips the wrapping of a cine-camera and a computer game. Petunia eventually comes back, both angry and worried.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Bad news, Vernon. Mrs Figg's broken her leg. She can’t take him.

Petunia jerks her head towards the kitchen, where Harry is still eating. Dudley finally looks up, his mouth open in horror; ripping the wrapping he had just been holding as he does so, showing a gold wrist-watch.

Petunia and Vernon hold a conversation, ignoring the children, mainly Harry.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Now what?

VERNON DURSLEY
We could phone Marge.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Don’t be silly, Vernon, she hates the boy.

Harry speaks up.

HARRY POTTER
You could just leave me here.

Petunia suddenly turns on Harry.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
And come back and find the house in ruins?

HARRY POTTER
I won’t blow up the house.

Petunia looks at Harry for a second, eyebrows raised.

She then speaks her next words slowly

PETUNIA DURSLEY
I suppose we could take him to the zoo …

Suddenly a loud wailing noise is heard. Dudley has begun to fake cry.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Dinky Duddydums, don’t cry.

And she hugs her son.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
I … don’t … want … him … t-t-to come! He always sp-spoils everything!

Dudley gives Harry a nasty grin through his mother’s arms. Suddenly the doorbell rings. Petunia lets go of Dudley and he stop to cry at once.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
They’re here!

She and Dudley rush to the front door. Vernon stays with Harry, making up his mind. Then:

VERNON DURSLEY
You've managed to get your way, boy. But, (pause) I’m warning you (pause) any funny business, anything at all and you’ll be in that cupboard for a month.

HARRY POTTER
I’m not going to do anything, honestly…

But Harry isn't seem to be able to mean the last word. As the sentence completes, the camera zooms in on Harry and a series of flashbacks begin.

INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM - DAY

The TEACHER’S WIG is suddenly TURNED BLUE.

INT. KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE

Petunia tries to force a JUMPER over Harry’s head. It shrinks and shrinks until it is so small it would fit a glove puppet.

EXT. SCHOOL - MIDDAY

Dudley, PIERS POLKISS and some other of HIS GANG are chasing Harry. Harry tries to jump behind a BIN, but finds himself on the ROOF.

INT. KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (23/6/1991)

We return to the original scene, and Harry is rather unsettled.

EXT./INT. DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY? – LATE MORNING (23/6/1991)

BRRRMMM. A motorbike overtakes the DURSLEY’S CAR.

VERNON DURSLEY
…roaring along like maniacs, the young hoodlums.

HARRY POTTER
I had a dream about a motorbike. It was flying.

Vernon nearly crashes into the car in front. He turns around in his seat to look at Harry

VERNON DURSLEY
MOTORBIKES DON’T FLY!

Dudley and Piers s******.

HARRY POTTER
I know they don’t.

Harry looks out the window. The camera LOOKS IN ON HIM

HARRY POTTER
It was only a dream.

The camera tracks away,...

...FADES,...

INT. REPTILE HOUSE, ZOO – AFTERNOON (23/6/1991)

...and PANS DOWN to a GLASS CAGE of the LARGEST SNAKE, a BOA CONSTRICTOR. It is fast asleep. Dudley runs up to it and presses his nose against the glass, frowns, then turns to his father.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make it move.

Vernon taps on the glass, but the snake doesn't move.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Do it again.

Vernon taps the glass again, but still nothing happens

DUDLEY DURSLEY
This is boring.

And he moves away, Harry, however, stays looking in on the snake relating to it.

HARRY POTTER
It must be really annoying.

The snake then opens its eyes and slowly raises its head so that it is level with Harry’s. The snake nods. Harry looks around, then back at the snake. Pause.

HARRY POTTER
Where do you come from, anyway?

The snake points its tail at the SIGN next to the glass. It reads ‘Boa Constrictor, Brazil.’

HARRY POTTER
Was it nice there?

The snake points again to the sign. Beneath it is a SMALLER SIGN. It reads ‘This specimen was bred in the zoo.’

HARRY POTTER
Oh, I see...

A loud shout is suddenly heard from behind…

PIERS POLKISS
Dudley! Mr Dursley! Come and look at this snake! You won’t believe what it’s doing!

Dudley rushes up to the snake’s cage.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Out of the way, you.

And he punches Harry in the ribs. Harry falls onto the CONCRETE FLOOR. Piers and Dudley lean right up to the glass then suddenly they become unsteady as the GLASS DISAPPEARS. The snake uncoils itself and slithers out of its cage, onto the floor. People scream and run for the exits. The snake goes past Harry (on the floor) and a voice can be heard…

SNAKE
Brazil, here I come … Thanksss, amigo.

And it slithers out the door. Harry follows it with his eyes, a little confused.

INT. DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY – AFTERNOON (23/6/1991)

The Dursleys, Harry and Piers are all in the Dursley’s car, all looking a little scared and lost for words, except Dudley and Piers

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Did you see how it nearly bit off by leg? But I shook it off…

PIERS POLKISS
I swear it was trying to squeeze me to death.

The car stops at traffic lights as Piers suddenly turns on Harry.

PIERS POLKISS
Harry was talking to it, weren't you, Harry?

Harry is lost for words. Vernon turns and looks at Harry with menace over his face.

INT. CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE AFTERNOON (23/6/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY
Go – cupboard – stay – no meals

Vernon pushes Harry into his cupboard. Harry lies in bed, but doesn't go to sleep.

Remembered voices echo in his head.

YOUNG HARRY POTTER (V.O.)
How did I get my scar?

PETUNIA DURSLEY (V.O.)
In the car crash when your parents died. And don’t ask questions

The room is suddenly filled with green light, as though Harry is remembering it.

FADE TO BLACK

FADE IN TO:

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (24/7/1991)

Harry is now eating A SINGLE PIECE OF TOAST at the KITCHEN TABLE. Vernon is carrying the newspaper. He unfolds it and begins to read it when he is seated. Dudley is carrying his SMELTINGS STICK. He places this next to the large serving of BACON AND EGGS he was just given by Petunia. She places Vernon’s on the table, and as she is just about to return to the kitchen, the NOISE OF LETTERS DELIVERED is heard. Petunia stops dead for a slight moment, then continues back to the kitchen.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Dudley.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make Harry get it.

Vernon takes down the newspaper and notices for the first time that Harry is in the room.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Harry.

HARRY POTTER
Make Dudley get it.

Vernon looks back at the paper and says plainly...

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Harry

Harry looks at Dudley, who is shovelling food in his mouth, then leaves the room.

INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (24/7/1991)

Harry walks to the pile of letters lying on the MAT glumly. He picks them up and they are shown to the audience: A POSTCARD SHOWING THE ISLE OF WIGHT AND A FAT WOMAN, AUNT MARGE, WHO LOOKS LIKE VERNON; A BILL; and A LETTER OF YELLOW PARCHMENT WITH THE WORDS: Mr H. Potter, The Cupboard under the Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey WRITTEN ON IN GREEN INK. Harry stares at the letter, it is unbelievable. He turns it over to see A COAT OF ARMS FORMED BY A LION, EAGLE, BADGER AND SNAKE AROUND AN ‘H’ ON A PURPLE WAX SEAL. Then…

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)
Hurry up, boy!

Harry is out of his trance and motions towards the door.

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (24/7/1991)

Harry walks back in, still staring at his letter. It is separate to the bill and postcard now and he hands this to Vernon, who is still behind the newspaper.

VERNON DURSLEY
Marge’s ill. (speaking to Petunia) Ate a funny whelk…

But he is cut off by Dudley.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Dad! Dad, Harry’s got something!

Harry is shown to be just about to be unfolding the LETTER inside, but it is forced away my Vernon.

HARRY POTTER
That’s MINE!

He tries to snatch it back.

VERNON DURSLEY
Who’d be writing to you?

Petunia looks at Harry and the letter, looking as though she thinks she knows this answer, but at the same time doesn't want to know the answer. Vernon opens the letter and on first glance is frozen, and terrified.

VERNON DURSLEY
P-P-Petunia!

Dudley reaches this time. Harry just looks confused. Petunia, thinking she knows what it is, takes it from Vernon. She reads it for about 2 seconds and when she finishes, she looks as though she is about to faint, but chokes a few words.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Vernon! Oh my goodness – Vernon!

They stare at each other.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
I want to read that letter!

HARRY POTTER
I want to read it, as it’s mine.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get out, both of you. OUT!

He stuffs the letter in his pocket and chucks them out of the room.

Vernon slams the door in their faces. Harry and Dudley have a silent fight over the keyhole.

She looks down at the envelope that she is now holding, and addresses Vernon.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Vernon, how could they possibly know where he sleeps? You don’t think they’re watching the house?

VERNON DURSLEY
Watching – spying – might be following us.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But what should we do, Vernon? Tell them we don’t want…

Harry is lying on his stomach listening through the crack under the kitchen door. The light shifts around in the crack, and a shot shows feet pacing.

Vernon stops pacing

VERNON DURSLEY
No. No, we’ll ignore it. If they don’t get an answer … yes, we won’t do anything…

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But…

The camera zooms into a confused Harry.

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)
I’m not having one in the house, Petunia! Didn't we swear when we took him in we’d stamp out that dangerous nonsense?

INT. CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING (24/7/1991)

Harry is still lying in the same position, though on the CRAMPED BED that is stuffed in the cupboard. The door opens, Harry turns around it is Vernon. He looks out of place in the DUSTY, SPIDER-FILLED cupboard

HARRY POTTER
Where’s my letter? Who’s writing to me?

VERNON DURSLEY
No one. It was addressed to you by mistake. I have burned it.

HARRY POTTER
It was not a mistake; it had my cupboard on it.

VERNON DURSLEY
SILENCE!

A flew spiders fall off the ceiling.

VERNON DURSLEY
Er – yes – about this cupboard. Your aunt and I have been thinking … we think it might be nice if you moved into Dudley’s second bedroom.

HARRY POTTER
Why?

Vernon looks at Harry threatening.

VERNON DURSLEY
Don’t - ask - questions!

INT. HALL – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE MORNING (25/7/1991)

Vernon is nailing up the mailbox. Harry is walking down the stairs and stops. Vernon addresses Petunia who is offering fruitcake. Neither notices Harry.

VERNON DURSLEY
See, if they can’t deliver them they’ll just give up.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
I’m not sure that’ll work, Vernon.

VERNON DURSLEY
Oh, these people’s minds work in strange ways, Petunia, they’re not like you and me

And he hammers another nail.

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – (NEXT) MORNING (26/7/1991)

Petunia opens a new packet of eggs. She cracks one. No yolk. She cracks another. No yolk again. This time she spots a piece of parchment. It’s a letter. She pulls it out, unfolds it, then turns to Vernon, who is reading the newspaper, Dudley and Harry, showing it, frowning. Dudley turns to Harry.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Who on earth wants to talk to you this badly?

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – (NEXT) MORNING (27/7/1991)

Harry looks saddened. Vernon is gleefully spreading marmalade on his toast, sometimes spreading on the newspaper in his excitement.

VERNON DURSLEY
No post on Sundays. No damn letters today…

He raises his knife and smiles. Then frowns. A letter has just hit him in the back of his head. He turns to the fireplace which is now rumbling. Everyone’s attention is on it.

And suddenly 50 letters come bursting through the grate, Harry jumps up to try and catch one but…

VERNON DURSLEY
Out! OUT!

Vernon grabs Harry around the middle as he tries to grab a letter and shoves him into the hall. Petunia and Dudley have already run for it.

INT. HALL - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (29/7/1991)

Vernon slams the door so that none of the letters, which are still flying around the kitchen, don't reach the other room.

He speaks threatening, as though he is losing it.

VERNON DURSLEY
That does it. We're going away. Just pack some clothes. No arguments!

INT. DURSLEY'S CAR - COAST - LATE AFTERNOON (30/7/1991)

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Wouldn't it be better just to go home?

Vernon ignores her, gets out of the car and locks Petunia, Dudley and Harry in it. THUNDER.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Daddy's gone mad, hasn't he?

RAINDROPS fall onto the car.

The doors are unlocked and opened as Vernon arrives back.

VERNON DURSLEY
Found the perfect place.

EXT. COAST - LATE AFTERNOON (30/7/1991)

Vernon is now holding a LONG THIN PACKAGE. He points to a rock out at sea, hardly visible. Even less visible is a SHACK on top of it.

VERNON DURSLEY
Storm forecast for tonight! And I've been able to lend a boat.

The camera falls down to show a small wooden rowboat.

VERNON DURSLEY
(to Harry) Could do with some of those letters now, eh?

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 20th, 2007 at 12:06 am. Reason: Forgot about that
Sponsored Links