View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2010, 5:16 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Electronic Readers

I have had an Amazon Kindle since 8/08. Love it.

I wanted one from when it first came out, but I didn't want to spend $399. Did you know that they sold out in 5-1/2 hours on the first day? I ended up spending $259 for mine. That's the current price of the K2I. The DX is $489. Much larger and better for reading textbooks and other books with illustrations.

For those of you who think it might give you a headache or eye-strain, you couldn't be more wrong. The screen is e-ink and reads very much like a book. There is no backlight. People who get migraines report that they don't have a problem at all with the Kindle. I can actually read much longer. The only disadvantage to this is that I used to read to put myself to sleep. Now, when I read my Kindle in bed, I don't get sleepy at all and I stay up way too late reading.

The obvious advantage is that I have several hundred books at my fingertips at all times. That includes compilations such as the complete works of Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Dickens, etc.

Public domain books can be downloaded free (legally), but I prefer to purchase the compilations because I have them all in one navigable file. The cost is negligible for the convenience (usually $4.79, although Dickens was $2.79). Also, many new Indie authors offer their works for 99 cents, and I have found a lot of good reads that way. The big publishing houses will also offer one of a series free for a short time to get people to buy the other books in the series. I love free.

I can adjust the font, search for words or phrases, highlight, bookmark and make notes. Amazon also allows you to download samples for free before you buy. If you hit the "buy" button by mistake, they will refund your money within 7 days of purchase. Newspapers can be downloaded daily with a navigable articles list, no classifieds and no ads, much cheaper than the newstand price.

I know students that scan in their notes into PDF. Then you e-mail the doc to Amazon and they send the converted doc back to you.

I can web browse from my Kindle and connect directly to the Kindle book store to purchase a book, which is downloaded wirelessly to my Kindle in 60 seconds through Sprint's Whispernet. There is no charge for this service.

No, Amazon doesn't pay me a commission. I'm just a committed Kindle lover.

Any questions?

Sponsored Links