View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:45 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Then, if one is to leave aside the potential for violence, would the same apply if a woman was zooming her camera on a guy in his swimming trunks for example? Or, up a loose pair of shorts? It's on public display, after all.
Of course. If a casual observer can see it just by happening to be there, then why would it automatically be illegal to take a photograph of it? I don't think it would hurt (and I don't think it would be sexist) to suggest that people be mindful of accidentally exposing themselves when they don't intend to. Not even because there's risk of being exploited--I just know I've seen a lot of body parts I never wanted to over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Then, what of paparazzi who lie on pavements to take photos up celebrities' skirts? Is that also publicly exposed? Even when her underwear is only exposed to the pavement??
Well without getting too graphic, I suspect a paparazzo doing that is probably hoping there won't be any underwear. And I think that's clearly invasive and wrong, but as I alluded to before, the relationship between the press and celebrities has gotten just... really weird and dark. Invading the privacy of celebrities is highly profitable, evidently, and as consumers that's really really the problem we should be thinking about. It's hard to condemn behaviors that we (as a group) would seem to desire.

Sponsored Links