View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:08 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Re: Your writing peeves

I like personality in characters a lot. If I come across characters that the author wants me to like but all I hear about is their looks ie. perfect, hot, amazing, gorgeous etc, it's frustrating because I want to know what they're like as a person, heart and mind. This is just my personal opinion, what I'm drawn to in a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post

1. Un-necessary eye and hair colour description: "Maria-Tasha-Louisa-Olivia had sea-blue, huge eyes, with the longest lashes anyone ever saw. Her hair was the colour of ravens, flowing silkily down her back, like a river with black water."
Yes, I do agree about liking concise descriptions.

One type I like is:

"So-and-so stood by a window, random sunbeams that had evaded the clouds danced on her plum-coloured dress."

Quickly it describes the type of clothes she likes and what the weather is doing has been slipped in; so they don't have to directly spend time mentioning it later.

Sometimes I don't mind in-depth descriptions if they have a point. For instance, say a personification of Winter, and his/her hair, eye-colour, clothes and presence enforces what and who he/she is.

Quote:

3. Obvious moments where the author can't bear to kill off children in the story.
Sure, perhaps in fiction grenades might be 'kind and considerate' and spare the child, but I wouldn't want to try this in real life. If it's too obvious that you don't want to kill the child, you might run the risk of losing crediblity in the reader's eyes. Even Jurassic Park does it: Tim can survive 10,000 volts shooting through him and is still okay!
Yes, if it becomes obvious the author is squirming out of a situation like that, and a very obvious Deus ex machina (I think they're called?) comes in to play to get them out of trouble, it can be a bit much to believe.

The research point, is a big one.

Sometimes historical situations can be changed slightly to allow for the fictional character to take part. Then the author does a historical reference in the back of the book to acknowledge the changes. Bernard Cornwell who wrote the Sharpe series does this very well. But, he has done a great deal of research in order to make the shifts believable.

Last edited by Annielogic; June 24th, 2009 at 12:12 pm.
Sponsored Links