View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2011, 2:55 am
First Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.5

Do you believe that Snape's soul was still intact after he had killed Dumbledore?
Yes it would still be intact, he was reluctant (which is similar to remorse imo), knowing that Albus would have been tortured before death he was in fact ensuring he died quickly with full knowledge that he was dieing anyway.

To what extent, do you think, are Snape's parents to blame for his later choices and to what extent are they his own responsibility?
to the extent that they caused him to be lonely, craving affection/inclusion and to a certain extent an angry young person, they must take full responsiblity. After a person gains the ability to forge their own way in the world they then must take full responsibility for their actions and cease to blame everyone else for the outcomes of said actions (again imho).

Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?
No on both accounts, it was only the simple act that riddle decided to kill Lily that made him change sides, if riddle had gone after the Longbottom's I think he would have remained a de and thus wound up in Azkaban, due to the fact he had no interest in the Longbottom's, whereas he had an interest in Lily (note his patronus).

Why do you think Snape was so reluctant to approach Lily? Would he have been interested in her if she had not been magical?
He probably was hoping to get her on her own waiting for a chance to talk to her without petunia around. He would have shown little to no interest in Lily if she had not been magical from the way he treated Petunia and all other muggle born wizards and witches (princes tale where he called everyone of muggle blood "mudblood" as Lily pointed out after he called her that name).

How did Hogwarts effect the friendship between Snape and Lily? We see that up until fifth year they consider themselves to be "best friends", despite the house system. Do you think they both worked to maintain the friendship?
Lily was the main worker on the relationship, even though he was hanging out with future DE's and Lily knew it, she tried over and over to pull him away from the dark magic side of things, until he called her "mudblood" in a fit of anger, which made her decide to give him up as a bad idea, he had chosen his path and Lily had chosen hers. If Snape had been sinsere he would have seen the error of his way then and left those who were taking him down the wrong path and proven his remorse to Lily, yet he chose to become a DE knowing what they were and how much it would hurt Lily.

How would Snape's life have been different if he had managed to save their friendship?
He would not have become a DE, possibly been killed early on (you dont hand in your resegnation to voldy and get to live to tell the tale). He would not have been able to help Albus in the way he did and voldy may have actualy taken over in the first war (remember Severus did help stop Voldy by becoming a spy). But overall it is difficult to know exactly what he would have done if he had changed sides while still at school.

Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius?
Wow, that is a toughy, did he actualy "murder" Albus? I personaly do not think so, due to the fact he knew he would be tortured when the DE's broke into Hogwarts, thus Severus was actualy ensuring Albus was killed quickly and taking the fun off the DE's. Some hatred/dislikes run deep and can never be overcome, but asa Sirius and CO were cruel to Severus for many years, I can somewhat understand why the hatred continued even once they were on the same side. you can't make people like each other. plus I think that Sirius never foregave Severus for Lily's and Jame's murders.

How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?
Still hate Severus for his treatment of Neville and Harry, it would have been better if he had shown little interest in them or ignored them completely (like he did after Harry saw his memories in OOTP). But he had to put on a good showing of still being a Voldies spy owing to the fact of the number of DE kids at Hogwarts, news travels fast in the facist world.

Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?
No, he wanted, needed and was desperate for Lily's forgiveness, and the only way he could do that was through Albus and eventualy through Harry, so in a way it was a surrogate forgiveness.

What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?
I think they became friends, and if you look at the books, Albus relied on Severus more than almost anyone for many years. the only people who knew the full extent of what was to happen was Albus, Severus and eventualy Harry. Seeing as Severus was playing spy and was in contact with an extremely powerful Legilimency expert, It showed how much Albus trusted him with such valueble information, and friendship.

Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?
Not read the interviews so have no idea.

Which elements do you think make Snape the most controversial character of the series?
The fact of him being a spy for many years would make most of his actions difficult to judge, needless to say, he played his part extremely well right up until he died and in the end I was sad that he actualy died, he like Serius died before they could be cleared of false charges. I hate when people die without being cleared of false claims, like Harry I like the truth no matter what it is.

What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?
Loyalty, strength of charater, professionalism, are all good strengths of his. his inability to let go of his hatred for the marauders was I think his downfall (if in the lessons he had given Harry a break and treated him decently, Harry would have gone straight to Severus when he had the vision, thus saving him going to the ministry, thus saving Serius's life), this hatred caused in a way an unessessary death which Severus had to live with.

If you had to summarize Snape's character to someone who had never read the books what would you tell them?
A man who was put into an almost impossible situation of being a spy against very dark evil and nasty people. He did an extremely difficult job, was a good man who had serious flaws yet stayed true right until the end and aided in bringing down one of the most evil groups in history. basicaly he was a hero (an ordinary person who does extrodinary things, not without fear, but in spite of fear).

This is all simply my extremely humble opinion.

Sponsored Links