View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
I think the doe's inexplicable familiarity is the familiarity Harry subconsciously knew and understood in Snape.
I think the familiarity was that the doe was an embodiment of Lily, Harry's mother. Harry had few conscious memories of his mother, but he had deep subconscious memories of being held and nurtured and loved by his mother for fifteen months. I think Snape knew that Harry would trust the doe because it was based on Lily.

Quote:
Whether Snape would have given the potion to Trevor even if the potion had gone wrong is speculation in my opinion because there is nothing to suggest Snape would have done killed Trevor.
To say that Snape had the antidote ready and would have given the antidote to Trevor in time to save him and then given a lecture about how dangerous potions can be is also speculation.

Regardless of Snape's motivations or intent, or what he really would have done if Neville's mixture had been poison, it was not teaching; it was threatening. And I don't think it proves that Neville could have made a good potion, given proper motivation, because he was following Hermione's hissed instructions, not doing his own work.

Quote:
I can't see Snape as the noble teacher with only the good of his pupils at heart in this instance, I really can't. I would rather call it traumatising, not motivating.
This.

Quote:
Imo he doesn't make them learn from their mistakes, he's pointing out how miserable they are. That is a major difference. I don't think humans can learn if they're told they as persons are worthless. Most of them will live through it and some even of them might reach their aims, but they'll loose much more.
And this. Maybe this is why it's hard for me personally to like Severus Snape, as I've felt the fallout and the emotional damage of having everyone in your life telling you that you're worthless and you don't measure up to their (high, impossible, perfectionistic, unreasonable or what-have-you) standards. There are really only a small fraction of people who will take an "Oh, so you think I'm a dunderhead? I'll show you" line at the age of eleven and prove that they're better than the naysayers think. I think it's far more common to crumble and give up and fail if the people who are in authority over you are constansly spouting off about your inadequacies and doing their best to make you feel worthless.

Quote:
I don't find a problem with this turn of phrase.Incidentally Dumbledore himself refers to Harry as "the boy" moments later in the very same scene.
Dumbledore may have simply used the same phrase Severus did in order to follow through on the line of thinking and maintain the connection with Severus in the conversation. But as I said, my reaction to the phrasing "the boy" might be my own colored opinion, and I might be the only one who has my particular connotations for the phrase. But I don't see where use of the phrase "the boy" proves indisputably that Severus cared for Harry as a person, either. For me it's easier to agree with the interpretation of the author who created the characters saying that Severus hated Harry to his dying breath.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Sponsored Links