View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2015, 3:53 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I just don't think she succeeded in showing Snape to be what she now says he is/was.
I think you and Yoana have a fundamental disagreement about what success as a writer means in this context. Consider a real-life controversial person (I don't know - Vladimir Putin? Winston Churchill? A slave-owning Founding Father like Washington or Jefferson?) Depending on their values, political views, and trusted sources for facts, different people have different views of these potentially controversial real life people.

The sense in which Rowling has succeeded, is that she has created Snape as a character who is so complex and contradictory that he is like the real-life famous controversial people of my example to her readers. She as the author sees him as the grey character with heroic and objectionable qualities she describes. But readers (as evidenced either on Twitter or here...) see him as a range of possible things, from a despicable human being who cannot be considered redeemed, to a purely heroic figure (once he changed sides). Just as different real life people will see the persons I named above, in similarly different lights.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Sponsored Links