View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2011, 9:35 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.5

I added this to my previous post in hopes you would see it. But since you didn't see it before replying, I'm moving it down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanT
Practicing Dark Magic does not make someone a cruel person, it is merely how it is put to use that defines what sort of person you are. In Snape's case, I would say that he was just interested in it from the pure magical perspective. He wanted to learn and explore, but not necessarily to harm others.
Ahhh! I think I see what you're saying. Okay, I think the opinion of many posters on CoS is that practicing the Dark Arts is defined by using magic to harm others and that studying the Dark Arts is not the same thing as practicing them. So we may be getting into a bit of a semantic debate here.

If we take "cause magical harm" as a definition for a practitioner of the Dark Arts, then in my opinion, there is more canon evidence to suggest that Snape spends his post-windy-hilltop days trying to prevent magical harm than cause magical harm (and we know that he even tells Dumbledore that he saves all the lives that it is possible to save). At any rate, preventing magical harm would be my definition of a Defender Against the Dark Arts. If we want to discuss the nature of the Dark Arts further (i.e., practitioner vs. defender), there's got to be a thread for it somewhere on CoS.

I do think that Snape, circa 1996, most likely still found the Dark Arts fascinating, but probably in about the same way that a Mathematician would find an elusive Proof fascinating. In my opinion, it's his area of research.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Sponsored Links