View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2009, 6:58 am
Seventh Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

HBP scenes 7-8: SNAPE'S NEW ROLE/THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE:    

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS - DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS CLASSROOM
SNAPE’s influence is already dominating the room; things are bleaker even than when UMBRIDGE was here. Hanging down like banners are 3 macabre photos: a thin old man contorted into a pretzel-like shape, a 30ish wizard with no life in his eyes, and a witch lying on the ground, a blood-spattered mess.

HARRY
Guess Snape’s made things his own.

SNAPE
(entering)
There is no talking. You have had 5 previous teachers in this subject, I believe, each with their own distinct style. It's a miracle that you’ve all managed to graduate to NEWT status. It will be more of one if you manage to make it through this year.

SNAPE begins walking closer to the center of the room, and speaking in hushed, reverential tones. HARRY’s look of contempt is unwavering.

SNAPE
The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them means you are facing something unfixed, mutating, indestructible. Your defenses must therefore be as flexible and inventive as the arts you seek to undo. These pictures (MALFOY appears fascinated by the one above him) represent those who suffer (CUT TO each of them as he refers to them): the cruciatus curse, the dementor’s kiss, and the aggression of the inferius. Now, what is the difference between a ghost and an inferius?

HERMIONE’s hand raises first as usual, but SNAPE calls on:

SNAPE
Potter.

HARRY
(briefly looking to HERMIONE in a “you couldn’t have called on her?” sort of way)
Well, ghosts are transparent, inferi are solid.

SNAPE
(sarcastic)
Very good. I can see that five years of magical education have not been wasted on you. Yes, ghosts are transparent.

MALFOY and PANSY laugh.

SNAPE
More than that, the inferius is a corpse that has been reanimated to do a dark wizard’s bidding. The ghost, as I trust most of you are aware by now, is the imprint of a departed soul left upon this earth.

RON
But what Harry just told us is more useful if we’re trying to tell them apart in real life! I mean, we’re not going to walk up to an inferius and ask “excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?”

A ripple of laughter from the non-SLYTHERIN portion of the room is interrupted by SNAPE taking:

SNAPE
Ten points from Gryffindor for Mr. Weasley’s cheek. Moving on...you are past overdue to work in non-verbal spells. You will all form into groups of two to practice unspoken incantations. The advantage of these is that your enemy has no knowledge of the magic you are about to perform, unlike in the shouting of incantations. Get up, Potter, you and I will demonstrate.

He raises his wand at HARRY so fast that HARRY is caught offguard and shouts “protego!” SNAPE is thrown back to the desk; he puts himself together again and leans in to HARRY.

SNAPE
Do you remember me telling you we were practicing non-verbal spells?!

HARRY
Yes.

SNAPE
Yes, sir.

HARRY
That’s alright, Professor, no need to call me sir.

RON and a few others repress their impressed laughter at this.

SNAPE
Detention, Saturday, my office.

CUT TO
HARRY, RON, and HERMIONE walk down the staircase to the POTIONS dungeon along with the rest of the class.

HERMIONE
You shouldn’t have done that, Harry!

RON
It was brilliant, though!

HARRY
Did you hear him? It’s one thing to respect the dark arts, but he loves them – all that “unfixed, indestructible” stuff!

HERMIONE
Frankly, he sounded sort of like you.

HARRY
Me?!

HERMIONE
When you were talking to us about how different it is actually facing the dark arts to being in school. You have to admit, it’s…similar.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS - POTIONS DUNGEON
HARRY, RON, and HERMIONE stand at their desk in front of their cauldrons and ingredients, HARRY and RON without books. The room may not be well-lit, but it bears next to no resemblance to the gloominess of SNAPE’s day, with a color palette consisting more of earth tones than deep blacks.

SLUGHORN
Now then, now then, now then, everyone take out your copies of Advanced Potion-Making. Oh, Harry, that’s right, Professor McGonagall told me you would need one, as you didn’t know I allowed students with ‘Exceeds Expectations’ grade in this class.
(He hands one to HARRY and RON each.)

RON
Right.

HARRY
Thanks.

SLUGHORN
Alright, now in each of your cauldrons is a very tempting potion, called Felix Felicis. (HERMIONE looks impressed.) Can anyone tell me what it does?

HERMIONE
It’s liquid luck. It makes whoever drinks it completely lucky.

SLUGHORN
Quite right, miss –

HERMIONE
Granger.

SLUGHORN
Granger? Are you perhaps related to Hector Dagworth-Granger, founder of the Society of Potioneers?

HERMIONE
I don’t think so, sir, I’m muggle-born.

SLUGHORN
(eyeing HARRY)
Ahhhh, “one of my best friends is muggle-born, and she’s the best in our year.” I presume this is the one you spoke about?

HARRY
Yes, it is.

SLUGHORN
Well, take ten points for Gryffindor. Yes, it is indeed liquid luck.

DEAN THOMAS
If it makes anyone who drinks it lucky, why can’t you just drink it all the time?

SLUGHORN
Because if taken in excess, Felix Felicis can cause giddiness, recklessness, and dangerous overconfidence - highly toxic, you know. But, if taken very occasionally, and on a very ordinary sort of day…

SEAMUS FINNIGAN
Have you ever taken it?

SLUGHORN
Twice in my life. And that is what I will be offering as a prize in this lesson. One tiny bottle, enough for twelve hours and a perfect day. How will you win this fabulous prize? By turning to page ten in your books and preparing a Draught of Living Death. I know this is more complex than anything you have previously attempted here and I do not expect perfection, but give it your best. Off you go!

HARRY opens his book to that page and immediately sees that the previous owner had scribbled all over the page, adding their own notes to the text. He (mentally) reads out the book’s instruction to cut up the sopophorous bean and then reads the neatly scrawled counter-instruction.

HARRY
Crush with flat side of silver dagger – releases juice, better than cutting.

HARRY tries to cut it up as per the author but, once it proves difficult, crushes it instead. The juice is indeed released, and quickly; he scoops it into the cauldron. It turns just the right shade of lilac, to HARRY’s surprise, so he looks back down at the page.

RON
How’d you do that?

HARRY simply shrugs; RON is still having trouble with his, and several of the rest of the class are fumbling around with their ingredients, hastily trying to cut things up or toss them into the cauldron. MALFOY looks especially nervous; he clearly needs that lucky day.

HARRY
(reading the textbook instructions)
Stir counter-clockwise until potion turns clear as water.
(reading the scribbled counter-instructions)
One clockwise stir after every 7th counter-clockwise.

He takes the chance and goes straight for the notes in the margins first, stirring clockwise after every 7th counter-clockwise stir. He smiles after seeing the resulting change to palest pink.

HERMIONE
How are you doing that? Mine is still purple!

HARRY
Add a clockwise stir after every 7th –

HERMIONE
No, the book says counter-clockwise.

RON’s potion is nowhere near either HARRY’s or HERMIONE’s, sort of a mustard color.

RON
Bloody hell!
(eyeing HARRY’s)
That's just not right.

DISSOLVE TO
SLUGHORN walks over from the right to the trio's desk and takes a look at RON's potion.

SLUGHORN
Alright, last but not least...Mr. Weasley…well, you tried your best. Miss Granger, very good. Mr. Potter…oh, excellent! You've all done well, but we have the clear winner!

He hands HARRY the bottle of golden FELIX FELICIS.

SLUGHORN
Clearly you’ve inherited your mother’s talent in Potions.

HARRY
No, no, I just got lucky.

HARRY turns back to see MALFOY giving him a look of absolute hatred.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS - GRYFFINDOR COMMON ROOM
HARRY, RON, and HERMIONE sit on a couch at the back of the room.

HARRY
I suppose you think I cheated?

HERMIONE
Well, they weren’t your ideas, were they?

RON
He only followed different instructions than ours. Could’ve been a catastrophe, but it worked. Wish Slughorn had handed me that one, but no, I get the one no one’s ever written on. Puked on, by the look of page 52, but…

GINNY
(walking up to them)
Hang on, did I hear right? You’re taking orders from something some strange person wrote in a book, Harry?

HARRY
Ginny, it’s not what you think; it’s nothing like Tom Riddle’s diary.

GINNY
But it is, you’re doing what it says.

HARRY
I just took a few of the notes written in the margins, there’s nothing funny –

HERMIONE
(looking a little bit smug)
Ginny’s right, Harry. Here, let’s take a look.
(She takes the book out of HARRY’s hands.)

HARRY
Hey!

HERMIONE
(pointing her wand at the cover)
Specialus Revelio!

Nothing happens.

HARRY
Satisfied? Or are you waiting for it to do a few backflips?

HERMIONE
It seems alright.

HARRY
Yeah, so I’ll have it back now.

He drops it when he takes it back from HERMIONE. Leaning down to pick it up, he reads out the words “property of The Half-Blood Prince” from the front page.

RON
Who’s The Half-Blood Prince?

HARRY
No idea.

I just noticed I've fallen into the pattern of each section I post ending with Harry saying something short and foreboding. (By the way, everything Harry reads from the HBP's book is said in his head, not out loud.)

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 3rd, 2009 at 2:03 am.
Sponsored Links