View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2010, 6:18 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
I find attempting to look at the situation from an objective standpoint often leads to the clearest perception of the true situation. While it's possible that Lily's death was a "wake up call" that turned him into a great person, I find that I fully disagree with the notion that a person can "snap" out of being a "bad" individual. Snape never fully leaves behind his lovely personality that so ingratiated himself with the marauders, and thus doesn't seem to have changed 100%.
I find myself, again, disagreeing with your premise, which seems to be, that Snape was a "bad" individual. Looking at his childhood, he appears to have been an unhappy and needy child, but his affection for Lily seems genuine enough. Nor can I agree that it bas his "bad" nature that caused the Marauders to dislike him. James spoke disparagingly of Sev's choice of House, while the latter was merely endeavoring to cheer up his friend Lily. Snape's refusal to back down and accept James' rudeness does not, in my opinion, make him "bad".

Quote:
He also seems to have retained his vindictiveness, his loathing, his grudges, and his ability to hate, as well as his inability to render sound judgement upon a subject to whom his feelings are ill-intended.
The bearing of grudges, and inability to render objective judgments regarding matters which are emotional, is a property shared by many of the heroes of this tale. Notably Harry himself and Sirius Black, who in this regard remind me of Sev. Though Snape is able to overcome both these traits when it is important to "the good side", as for example when he promptly makes sure Sirius is NOT being tortured by Voldemort in the MoM, or when he expresses no doubts to Albus that Harry will act on the information about the soul bit, when he is told about it.

Quote:
I did a really poor job of saying what I meant here... My point is that Snape did what he did, saving Harry, protecting him until he died, out of either unrequited love or guilt. Not out of the goodness of his heart.
I agree that Snape is not always (or even usually!) acting out of the goodness of his heart. It's one of the things I find admirable about him. Acting to save people you care for and love is a natural human reaction, demonstrated by a plethora of characters in the series, from the three Potters, to the Malfoys, Sirius, Regulus, Ron and Hermione, and probably others (including Snape, in my opinion, as when he agrees to kill Albus to spare him pain and humiliation). On the other hand, Snape acts to save Sirius, Lupin, and (possibly) Harry, among others, even though he lacks such feelings for them, and knows himself to be hated by them, acting out of a sense of duty to do what it right. I don't find that a tainted motive, I find it the best and most reliable motive for actions.

Quote:
And I think Harry is still thankful that he did it, regardless of intent. However, I don't think the motives taint the action for Harry, who is still alive because of him. I think it's the actions that matter.
This might be more for the Harry thread, but I disagree. Harry seems to consider motive important. In his thoughts about Draco, for example, he considers motive, and it matters to him that Draco is acting to save himself and his parents, rather than out of malice and cruelty, when he lets the DEs into Hogwarts, or later tortures on Voldemort's orders.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Sponsored Links