View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:30 am
First Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Hellfire Potion

Chapter 22 ~ Farewell to Ginny

With only a few days left until Ginny’s return to Hogwarts, Harry put his Map writing on hold to spend some time with her. They played one-on-one Quidditch in the Weasley’s orchard, visited Florean Fortescue at his ice cream parlour, stuffing themselves silly on enormous chocolate sundaes and went for long walks through the country side, always taking picnic baskets full of Mrs. Weasley’s wonderful food.

“I wish I didn’t have to go back,” sighed Ginny on one such afternoon, lying side-by-side with Harry, looking up at a vivid blue sky. They had just eaten a huge amount of sandwiches and cake and had extremely full stomachs.

Harry propped himself up on an arm, a smiled down at her. “Me too, but wouldn’t you miss Hogwarts?”

“Yeah, I s’pose,” she replied, with an exaggerated sigh, “but I’ll miss this too.”

“What, getting fat on cake?”

“Ha ha,” she said, punching him lightly on the arm, “no, not just getting fat. Believe it or not, I’ll miss you, you idiot.”

Smiling, Harry leaned forward and gave her a long kiss. When they finally broke apart, he said gently:

“Ginny, I have to tell you something…”

“Uh-oh. Let me guess: Bellatrix Lestrange has an evil twin?”

“Er, no – and you shouldn’t joke about that by the way,” he frowned, trying to look stern, but couldn’t quite manage it.

“Yeah, you’re right,” she said apologetically, struggling to sit up, “what is it? Should I be worried?”

“Well… it’s about my living arrangements.”

Ginny said nothing but continued to look at Harry with a suspicious expression.

“Well,” Harry rushed on, trying to get it over with quickly, “Ron, Hermione and me are moving in together – to Grimmauld Place. Now before you say anything – we’ll be back here every Christmas and Easter and you can come and stay with us, if your mum agrees to it of course, and there are tons of bedrooms so you can have your own room, and decorate it however you like and”-

“- Harry,” Ginny cut in, patiently.

Harry paused for breath. He hadn’t realised how fast he had been talking.

“Yeah?” he asked reluctantly, bracing himself for a Bat Bogey Hex.

“When were you thinking of moving?” she asked calmly.

“I dunno – not ‘til Lupin and Tonks are sorted with somewhere to live. I wouldn’t want to chuck them out.”

“Well I think it’s a brilliant idea. Why else would Sirius have left you the house if he didn’t want you to live in it? Or maybe sell it,” she added as an afterthought.

“So, you’re not angry?” relief spread through his chest.

“Er, no – why on earth would I be angry? I’d save your worry for mum. You should be okay, but I don’t think I can say the same for Ron!”

All too soon, it was time for Ginny to return to Hogwarts. On the morning of her departure, mayhem once again ruled the Weasley household.

“I thought things would be calmer, now that you’re the only one going to school!” Harry exclaimed, narrowly missing being hit in the head by Ginny’s bewitched trunk.

“Yes, you would have thought so,” said Mrs. Weasley darkly, before Ginny could respond. She was busy folding Ginny’s school robes, trying to get everything into the already full trunk.

Turning to her daughter, she rattled off the list of school things needed:

“Have you got your cauldron?”

“Yes, Mum.”

“And all your books?”

“Yes, Mum.”

“What about Arnold? Have you got him in his cage, ready to go?”

“Yes, Mum!” Ginny covertly rolled her eyes at Harry, who hid a smile. He, Ron and Hermione were seated at the kitchen table, munching on toast and marmalade, trying to keep out of Mrs. Weasley’s way.

“You know,” Hermione sighed, wistfully, “part of me wishes we were coming with you.”

“Me too,” said Ginny, her expression saddening for a moment. “It’s going to be so weird being at Hogwarts without you lot there – not that you were around that much last year.”

“Yes,” said Mrs. Weasley, “well even though they weren’t there much, they still managed to get their NEWT’s young lady, so you just mind you study hard this year.”

“Mum! I work hard! Besides, Harry didn’t get his NEWT’s!”

“Thanks a lot!” said Harry indignantly; “I was busy with other stuff at the time, Ginevra!”

Ginny shot him a wicked smile, making Harry realise she was simply trying to get her mother off her back.

“Well never you mind about Harry. I’m sure he’ll get his NEWT’s yet.” Mrs. Weasley bustled out of the kitchen to call to her husband:

“Arthur? The car will be here any minute! Are you ready?”

“Yes dear!” came his reply, as he hurried down the stairs, tucking his wand into his inside pocket as he went.

No sooner had he replied, than a car came trundling up the driveway, driven by a Ministry wizard.

“Right, come on you lot – anyone who’s coming to the station to see Ginny off, get in the car now.”

Mrs. Weasley, Ginny, Ron and Hermione piled into the car, while Mr. Weasley and Harry loaded Ginny’s trunk into the boot. Once they were all settled inside, the driver hit the Invisibility button, and they took off towards London. Mr. Weasley beamed excitedly about the car, bombarding the driver with questions on how it handled, and where he felt improvements could be made. It went on for quite awhile until Mrs. Weasley snapped.

“Arthur! Will you leave the poor man alone! Let him concentrate on getting us there in one piece!” she tutted loudly, pulling her seatbelt tighter.

“Right-o Molly, dear,” said Mr. Weasley sheepishly.

“Mum’s not keen on Muggle Mobiles,” whispered Ginny to the others, “she still doesn’t think you should tamper with Muggle stuff – especially after you two crashed that one in your second year!”

Harry and Ron’s shoulders shook with suppressed laughter, but Hermione looked stern.

A few moments later, they could see the rooftops of London. Touching down in a dark alleyway, they climbed out of the car, and crossed the street to Kings Cross station. Harry dragged Ginny’s trunk behind him while she carried Arnold’s cage, covered in a cloth so no Muggles would see the bright pink, humming creature within.

Once through the barrier, Harry and the others greeted their friends who still had time to go at Hogwarts. Naturally, everyone wanted to talk to Harry about his battle with Voldemort, but he managed to avoid most of it through the help of Ginny, Hermione and Ron, who stuck close to him, ready to get rid of anyone too pushy. Ginny’s Bat Bogey Hexes were now the stuff of legend, putting her right up there next to her older twin brothers, Fred and George, for their great escape from Hogwarts.

“Hi, Harry! Hi, Ginny!” called a dreamy voice. They turned to see Luna Lovegood glide towards them.

“Hi, Luna. Are you looking forward to your last school year?” asked Hermione, smiling in welcome.

“Yes, I suppose I am,” she replied, her eyes staring in the opposite direction to Hermione. “But I’ll miss seeing Neville around,” she smiled, sadly.

“Ah well,” said Ron bracingly, “you’ll see him at the shop, won’t you?”

“Yes.” She said, brightening suddenly. Turning to Ginny, she asked, “ Shall we go and find a compartment then?”

“Umm, okay – just let me say goodbye to everyone first.”

Luna wandered off to kiss her father goodbye as Ginny turned to her parents.

“Goodbye, Ginny dear,” said Mrs. Weasley, hugging her tightly, “look after yourself.”

Mr. Weasley followed suit, offering more words of advice. Hermione was next, promising to write often. Once Ron had given his sister a gruff, one-armed hug, Hermione and the rest of the Weasley’s busied themselves with talking to Mr. Lovegood who was still standing on the platform, to allow Harry and Ginny a moment of relative privacy to say goodbye.
Wrapping his arms around her tightly, Harry dipped his head so their foreheads were touching.

“Have a good term. Send me an owl as soon as you get there.”

“I will,” Ginny replied, her voice husky.

“And let me know what weekends you’ll be going to Hogsmeade – I’ll come and visit you on every one.”

Ginny sniffed, “Okay… And let me know how it goes with the Map – and if there’s anything I can do to help, let me know.”

Harry leaned in to kiss her. A shrill whistle rang out, signalling that the students had five more minutes to board the train. They pulled apart, laughing slightly.

“I think I have to go…”

“Okay.” Said Harry, not loosening his embrace.

Ginny giggled. “Harry! I’ll miss the train!” though she didn’t seem in too much of a hurry to get away.

He sighed deeply, reluctantly letting go of her. Holding Ginny’s hand, he walked her to the compartment door and helped her inside. He took a few steps back and was rejoined by Hermione, Ron and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Ginny stuck her head out of the window and waved to them as the train began to pull away.

“Bye!” she yelled madly, as they waved back furiously.

“Goodbye dear! Don’t forget to write!” called Mrs. Weasley, becoming slightly misty-eyed.

“I won’t! See you at Christmas!” called Ginny, as her carriage disappeared from view.

Mrs. Weasley sighed deeply. “Ah well. We’ll be seeing her soon enough.”

Mr. Weasley Apparated to the Ministry while Harry and the others went back outside to travel home in the Ministry car. Harry was very quiet during the ride.

“Cheer up, mate,” said Ron brightly. “I bet the first Hogsmeade weekend isn’t far away. You’ll see Ginny before you know it.”

Hermione nodded. Harry smiled at them, reassuring them that he was fine. He missed Ginny already, that much was true, but his mind was still on something Mrs. Weasley had said earlier that morning: that he would “get his NEWT’s yet”. He hadn’t considered the possibility of doing his exams. Ron and Hermione had been at school for enough of their seventh year to manage the Correspondence Course, with Hermione doing significantly better than Ron, but still – there was no getting away from it – without his NEWT’s he wasn’t really a fully-qualified wizard – something he hadn’t even considered until this morning. The question was, what could he do about it?

Sponsored Links