View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2011, 4:41 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Harry knew he was the "Chosen One." He knew that the Prophecy said "And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ..." So, he knew he had to die in order to kill Voldemort. He just didn't know when and how.

I believe that just the Memories showing Severus and Dumbledore discussing this and what Harry had to do would have been more than sufficient for Harry to trust them. However, I strongly believe that Severus gave Harry many, many more Memories than he needed to just in order to gain his trust. There were too many that were totally unnecessary and had absolutely nothing to do with anything that involved Harry directly.

As I interpreted the Memories, they were things he needed Harry to see in order to understand him (Severus), and, as such, were the only way he had of communicating his remorse for any part he had in Lily's death and also the way he'd treated Harry because he looked like James.

I think, as he watched Harry grow to be his own person that Severus was able to see him separate from his parents and grew to respect, if not to care, for him. The memory that makes me think this more than anything is the one where he is told Harry has to die...when he refers to Harry as "the boy," and not "Potter."

I've wondered as I've re-read the books and taken time to reflect on the story... not rushed through them to see what happened, as I did for the first reading...if, after a while, his protecting Harry didn't become less a job and more an act of caring -- which he finally admitted to himself as he was dying and that's why he wanted Harry to see what went into making Severus Snape who he was, how he'd loved truly and deeply, what his shortcomings and wrongs were and the remorse he felt for them, and in that way to gain Harry's understanding and forgiveness, even though it was posthumusly.

I doubt, without having seen all of the Memories, Harry would have named his second son Albus Severus Potter.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Sponsored Links