View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Genius Loci

Version 2. Version 1 can be found here.

The usual rules apply to this thread. As the behaviour has been generally quite good in this thread lately, we're not going to drift away from the pattern you're into discussing. However, the original questions are there if you wish to revise/expand upon and as always, new participants may wish to discuss.

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?

3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?

Last few posts from old version:

Siriusandme's post:    

I've met plenty of women who think that if a woman doesn't leave an abusive relationship it's her own fault if she gets beaten. Silly people....

ActingDude17's post:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
I've met plenty of women who think that if a woman doesn't leave an abusive relationship it's her own fault if she gets beaten. Silly people....
It's not 100% her fault but she can definitely be held accountable for not getting the heck out of there.

Siriusandme's post:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
It's not 100% her fault but she can definitely be held accountable for not getting the heck out of there.
Yes and no... Relationships like that don't start out by beating someone half to death. They start by, psychologicaly, breaking someone down. By making them feel like they are less than nothing, so I can imagine it's extremely hard to leave to pack your bags and leave. Especially when there are children involved. Besides I can't imagine there even a single woman who askes to be beaten.

DancingMaenid's post:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
Yes and no... Relationships like that don't start out by beating someone half to death. They start by, psychologicaly, breaking someone down. By making them feel like they are less than nothing, so I can imagine it's extremely hard to leave to pack your bags and leave. Especially when there are children involved. Besides I can't imagine there even a single woman who askes to be beaten.
Exactly. Not only that, but the early signs of abuse can be hard to interpret. For example, if your boyfriend likes to call you all the time, it can be hard to know if that's a sign of possessive behavior or not. If he seems like a great guy in other respects, you may not pay much heed to the warning signs until they're a major problem.

And I don't think anyone can ever be blamed for abuse they receive. If you stick your hand in a beehive and get stung, then yeah, you hold some of the responsibility because bees will sting. When it comes to humans, we expect people to be responsible for their own actions. A woman has a responsibility to herself to take care of herself and make good decisions, but she can't be responsible for someone else's choice to hurt her.

Yoana's post:    

Moreover, dependency on the abuser often accompanies abuse - whether financial or emotional. Some women can't get away because there's no-one to turn to for help, precisely because in many societies, most people will blame them.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux's post:    

I definitely see that a lot (people finding other people's "home selves" unbelievable). My friends find it hard to believe stuff like how my mom can even yell at me or something simple like that because she appears harmless and nice. My parents friends dont seem to believe that I'm a teenager that argues with my parents and I know that my grandparents think that my dad is the most amazing husband/father ever and ignore all of his faults which in a way can be considered overly possessive. Besides, I doubt many people can honestly say that they're really being themselves in all situations in front of all people