View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:49 am
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I respect your view. I interpreted this portion: "I try to treat him like any other student. And any other student would be suspended - at the very least - for leading his friends into such danger..." to mean that Snape was recommending that Harry be suspended "at least" - with the at least signifying that something more, like expulsion, might be appropriate.

Imo, Snape was still unsure if Voldemort would return. He was trusting of Dumbledore's opinion in general, but imo, Snape was doubtful because his mark was dormant and that left him feeling like he might be wasting his time helping Dumbledore protect Harry from nothing. I feel this is supported by Snape ceasing to speak of expulsion altogether after GoF when his mark confirmed that Voldemort had indeed returned.
Dumbledore asks Snape for help after the Potters died and Snape agreed. While his mark may have been dormant, it was only a question of when and not if IMO, that Voldemort would return. The TPT reveals that Snape had promised to help Dumbledore and he stood by that promise IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
IMO, Snape took particular care to ensure that he could get away with what he did to Harry. Dumbledore has a pretty good idea of what goes on in the school (portraits?), and he would definitely have intervened if Snape had gone too far. We see that the level of Snape's mistreatment rises when he and Harry are together and unsupervised.
Had Snape really treated Harry poorly, I don't think Dumbledore would let him be IMO. I don't think Dumbledore would tolerate abuse of any sort in the School. Umbridge was the only exxception and that was because of the Ministry and also the fact Voldemort had come back and the war had begun. Snape was allowed to punish Harry for his various breaking of rules by detention, and I think Dumbledore understood about Snape's feelings for James, and allowed him to be.

Quote:
As I said on the previous thread, Snape tends to lie outright when it comes to James' actions. So, most likely, there were never any four on one fights in the first place.
In OOTP, Dumbledore explains it clearly; he says that he misunderstood Snape's feelings and wrongly read Argghhh! I forgot(bangs head because she left books at home); it's in OOTP in the Lost Prophecy; where he says something like some wounds run too deep for the healing (Not the exact words).

There were wounds which Dumbledore acknowledged Snape had because of James and Dumbledore said they were too deep to be healed.

Quote:
Could you explain this a bit more? I don't really understand your reaching the conclusion that there were any 'deeper emotions'. What exactly do you base it on? I do get what you mean about Snape being more comfortable with hating Harry though.
I don't think so; not now at least. Because I am unable to explain with canon why I feel this way. But that Snape had very complex emotions for Harry I feel is certain. The books tell us the story through Harry's eyes, and then in the TPT Harry is given the reasons for Snape's actions and his loyalties, which are very different from what Harry himself understood of Snape all those years. Because we see Harry's acceptance of those reasons as well IMO later.

Snape's feelings for Harry is a mixture of his feelings for James, Lily, his own thrown away chances, guilt that he handed over the Prophecy and love he had for Harry's mother. I think these emotions surfaced now and then all through the books, but what held Snape together ultimately was the love for Lily. That won over everything and IMO would not let him hate Harry or loathe him.

Quote:
But he could have been indifferent to him, treated him like any other student, and not singled him out.
Yes he could have; even should have; it was not Harry's problem what Snape did with his life; but I think that's where his past with Harry's parents and Godfther and his own biterness and guilt at his wrong choices came in the way. Snape acts despite himself and I really think he could not help himself regarding Harry.

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but I have to say that I never saw anything of the sort. I think that Jo did a good job of conveying that Snape loathed Harry. From the first moment that Snape sets eyes on Harry, it becomes clear to Harry that Snape dislikes him. After the first class, he's convinced that Snape hates him. Harry's reasons for reaching such a conclusion are clearly explained. The reader can feel the malice and hatred dripping off Snape's words, throughout the series. If that was concern, it was extremely well concealed. In fact, the author felt so compelled to conceal it, that she tells her fans the exact opposite, that Snape actually loathed Harry!
Well the author has made all kinds of statements where Snape's concerned IMO. If we did not have any of her statements about Snape, which are really Harry's statements (the way Harry looks at Snape before book7) I wonder how we would have argued Snape's case.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Sponsored Links