View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2012, 6:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Have you ever got really angry/offended at a book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I recently read 50 Shades of Grey, and I've never been so angry at a book. Maybe it was because I was sort of critically reading it whereas normally I just read books for the story, but I kept picking up on things that were blatantly offensive because of what they implied
I read some of it, and could not bring myself to continue to read all of it. I flicked through parts of the rest of it to see just how messed up it got. I was appalled that a thoroughly abusive and unhealthy relationship was being portrayed as "romantic". Equally annoying is the media coverage trying to say that this is what women want. Um, no, people who are saying this: don't presume to speak for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
My Sister's Keeper really got me upset:
Spoiler: show
that the author puts you through that entire book just to kill the girl off in the end was so angering, I remember reading those lines and thinking WTH! Why did I just spend a week reading this book??

I enjoyed that book, but then I read Handle with Care:
Spoiler: show
in which Picoult also puts a family through a huge moral dilemma involving a sick child, and she goes the same sudden tragedy route. I just felt it was cheap to repeat the same kind of thing. It's put me off Picoult. I mean, I know moral dilemma stories are her specialty, but this problem and ending were somewhat repetitive and I felt as if she was going for the tear jerker for the sake of it.

Quote:
A lot of the time, too, if you took out those racisit, sexist or classist social norms the book would seem fake or like it was written recently but by an author too scared to stray from what is politically correct today to go there or the author thinks that if they show their protagonist as a slave owner than the readers will automatically hate them so they have to have freed slaves who get paid and have health benefits... (I'm thinking in particular of the movie The Patriot with Mel Gibson)
I agree - I don't like it when modern-written/made historical fiction or movies pretend that society in general was more open-minded and understanding than it actually was at the time. It presents a false picture of history and how far the world has actually moved on.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; August 15th, 2012 at 6:49 pm.
Sponsored Links