View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:34 am
Fourth Year

Re: Plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions v.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
It was incomplete, yes. Voldemort only heard the part about the boy being born at the end of July and having powers he doesn't possess. It was still enough to make Voldemort go out and kill someone, as we know. I think you could be right that maybe Dumbledore wanted to see how things unfold and that's why he just let Snape go but I wonder if even Dumbledore can be that cruel? He had no problem sacrificing people for an important purpose but this didn't seem to have much point (unless we're assuming he knew Harry would survive and Voldemort would vanish but there's no way he could have known Snape would ask Voldemort to spare Lily's life).
I don't think it was a matter of cruelty. I think he would have disagreed that it was not an important purpose. I imagine he thought it gave him a tactical advantage, and was willing to incur substantial damage to use it.

I really don't know, though. If we might step out of universe for a moment, I think a lot of this is on Rowling's portrayal. As with any author, she has a general notion of where the story is going to goŚmore than the readers, at any rate. As a result, she was surely blind to some what-if possibilities that actual people in that situation would surely have been alert to. If you know that a character is going to succeed in a task, you as the author are prone to understate, to an extent, the risks that character puts themselves and others in, because in retrospect, those risks are seen as worth it. Upfront, of course, they might not be.

We know that Voldemort will be defeated, that Snape's report to Voldemort had repercussions that ultimately led in some small way to Voldemort's demise. But you're right that Dumbledore in that moment could not have known this. The best I can come up with is to posit some tactical advantage he felt he could gain by allowing Snape to make his report. But ultimately, I can't know this, nor do I think it's really knowable in any meaningful way.

Quote:
So you're saying Voldmeort shouldn't have believed Snape because it could have all been a trick? I guess it's possible but it's perfectly in Voldemort's character to be quick to eliminate something or someone he perceives as a threat to him.
No, I intended my comment much more generally: I find it interesting that trust wasn't more of an issue overall. However, speaking of the situation specifically, it may be that memory charms of the sort that would fool Voldemort were rare, so that he would generally have trusted Snape. (He might have felt, likely with some reason, that Snape would have been more resistant to such tampering.)

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Sponsored Links