View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2010, 5:38 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Writing antagonists

Quote:
I think they give the story its main atmosphere. If the villain is 'really bad', it makes it really difficult for the protagonist to beat them without committing 'wrong things'. In other words, it makes a great challenge for the protagonist, and thus makes the story more exciting and enjoyable.
Definitely. That kind of thing can really add to the books atmosphere itself and give the good guys something that they have to go up against and stuff.

Quote:
I find it quite difficult actually. It's not really easy to make an original villain. It takes a lot to make him/her believable and scary/ugly without exaggerating them, at the same time. Even if one is writing fantasy/sci-fi, things need to be believable.
Yep. There's too much that can go wrong there . Like you said, it's too easy to exaggerate them and stuff. And at the end of the day, they have to be believable, not silly or ridiculous.

Quote:
I agree. Patience is the key to everything in writing, and not just villains.
Yea if we weren't patient then the writing wouldn't turn out that well.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 18th, 2010 at 8:20 pm.
Sponsored Links