View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2007, 1:38 am
Fifth Year

Re: Moral Ambiguities

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchick View Post
I cant count the times that Harry has been told that, yet, we get a resurection.
We didn't really, Harry never died. What actually happened is left for the reader to determine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchick View Post
I do not believe the the end always justifies the means, and the motto "for the greater good" just seems evil to me. I think I was a little "too" reminded of Hitler and WWII. Hiroshima was deemed "for the greater good" also. Hitler claimed that the extermination of the Jews were "for the greater good". I don't like that it turned out to also be the motto of a children's book hero.
Well Churchill acted 'for the greater good' as well and popular allied history views him as a demi - god. He sent armies of people to their deaths on D - day, he actively encouraged the RAF, in 1941, when he knew that most would die.

Shrug, the book was very true to life. Sometimes good people have to do inherently wrong things to achieve the greater end and sometimes you have to violate your own morals to achieve an end. I knew the book was going to be like that from the moment Lupin was yelling at Harry about how their battle wasn't child's play.

Having said that I think the moral ambiguity in this book, and the adult theme of the acceptance and understanding of death, would probably be a bit too confusing for a nine year old.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion? Vygotsky
Sponsored Links