View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2012, 1:04 am
Seventh Year

Re: The Millenium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
That's entirely why it's unjustifiable even in the circumstances of the novel, Lisbeth is an unreliable witness who goes to great lengths to rationalise all her actions and hypocrisies.
I disagree. Lisbeth's actions are only unjustifiable in terms of the law. I would say that any woman, fictional or not, who was sexually assaulted and sought vengeance on her assailant in the same manner that Lisbeth sought vengeance on Bjurman would feel hugely justified. I wouldn't hold it again any woman to do what Lisbeth did to their assailant. They may be imprisoned for it afterwards but I wouldn't hold it against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
I believe in the principle that the punishment should fit the crime, and that abusers, sexual or otherwise, should be given a taste of their own medicine.
Knowing that we live in a society where this kind of "eye for an eye" retribution can be just as punishable by the law as the initial assault, what Lisbeth did to Bjurman was, in the eyes of the law, wrong. Her actions ultimately didn't stop him from seeking vengeance on her again, it just made her feel better and helped her to achieve her goal of never having to see Bjurman again and finding a way to free herself from remaining a ward of the state.

On an emotional level, though, I absolutely agree with LyannaS. I don't feel bad for Bjurman at all; he got what he deserved. He not only took advantage of a girl he believed to be mentally handicapped, he sexually tortured her for hours and hours. As LyannaS points out, too, he did get off relatively lightly compared to what Lisbeth went through.

Quote:
As to Teleborian, he is publicly humiliated and will probably lose his medical practice licence but he's not made to undergo what he put Salander through.
He absolutely would lose his license to practice medicine.

Quote:
The events are actually shown from the writer's perspective, there's no first-person narrative by Lisbeth Salander, except in her report about Bjurman that she wrote in hospital.
Lisbeth does hold a third person limited POV in the first book, though. We, the readers, see what she sees, hear what she hears, experience what she experiences, etc. just with third-person pronouns instead of first-person ones just as most of the books are written from Blomkvist's 3PL perspective. In the dinner scene with Martin Vanger in GWTDT you don't suddenly split off from Blomvist and follow Martin into his study or over to the kitchen or away to the bathroom or whatever, you stay with Blomkvist and experience Martin's absences as Blomvist would experience them.

Quote:
It's a miracle actually that she's turned out as well as she did socially - I mean after all that was over.
She's still pretty socially messed up. I think the miracle is that her friendship with Blomkvist began to heal her general mistrust of everyone in the world; he was able to show her that there are people in the world who are actually willing to help her no matter the consequences. Her learning to trust people in even a very small way is the miracle of her character, IMO.

Last edited by Goddess_Clio; October 14th, 2012 at 1:16 am.
Sponsored Links