View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:30 am
Snidget of Champions

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I don't know, I think that the fact that Snape's motivation was largely love takes away some of his complexity for me. It's the same thing with Dumbledore, which is why I maintain that Dumbledore wasn't entirely motivated by love but also had ambitions and other motivations which led him to do what he did. It's a matter of taste of course, but I don't find love very compelling as a motivation for a character. It makes sense and it's realistic that people will do crazy things when in love, but I would prefer it if a character's motivation didn't boil down to just that.

It would have been great if Snape first decided to change because of Lily but then also discovered other reasons for why he shouldn't be on the dark side. Yet even this recent Twitter discussion says Snape never had any idealistic motivations.

I respect his desire to redeem himself but love as a drive force just isn't very interesting to me. Voldemort seems like a much more interesting character.
I agree with this. It's hard to believe after 17 years Snape is still purely driven by love and guilt. I prefer to see him as more nuanced, and I find nothing in the text that dismisses that notion.

But I've seen this elsewhere, too: JKR said "Snape didn’t die for ‘ideals’. He died in an attempt to expiate his own guilt," but does this mean Snape wasn't also driven by or committed to bigger idealogy? Meaning foremost he died to expiate his guilt, but he could also have been motivated by 'the cause'?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links